What did I buy?

Old 09-22-2016, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
That's the "right" pipe, from the LST2 and XXL I believe. (I thought they said "XT" or something though..) But it's definitely not the bad one of the Aftershock.

The 454 is an awesome engine. I have two LST2's, one with the 454, one with the ZR.30X. I'm always surprised when I run the 454 at how well it idles and holds its tune. For whatever reason.. And it screams too...

One of the reaons is I think is the Odonnel medium purple plug. They used to go on sale really cheap at amain, and IMHO anyway are the best non-turbo plug you can get..
Good to hear. At least I don't have to worry about the pipe. They're pricey. I'm using McCoy plugs in my Revo.

I received few things today. I'm still waiting for the the clutch shoe set and the carb/backplate o-rings.

Savox servos are installed.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Whoa.. Where'd you get the New Era rollbar? I thought they were impossible to find...

Shaping up to be a nice truck you've got there..
Old 09-23-2016, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Whoa.. Where'd you get the New Era rollbar? I thought they were impossible to find...

ive seen two on ebay in the last month, they are pricey tho. They went for around 80 bucks.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Tech Initiate

It was on eBay for $41.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Initiate

A little update on the MT. The truck is running fine. The engine has ton of power, but it needs a good tune. The reverse is also working.

I'm having a problem with the steering tho. I thought I can make it work with the
Losi servo horn set, but it didn't fit on the savox. I did some modification to the original servo arms, but it's not perfect.

I ordered the ASC25162 servo saver. Hopefully this will work with the savox servos better.
Is there any other aftermarket solution for the steering linkage? I also don't really like the turning radius.
I don't know if there is anything I can do about it.

The clutch set installation was PITA.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

I'm running a single savox servo with a racers edge horn and some traxxas rods ends for a linkage
Old 09-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Do you have any picture of your setup?
Which savox servo are you running in your MT?
Old 09-24-2016, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Losi has a clutch tool that does make changing the shoes easier. Trying to do it with a screwdriver can get infuriating after a couple stabs in the hand...

Bad Ass Creations made a drag link to improve steering over the stock counterpart. Might be hard to find one nowadays..
Old 09-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

+2 on the Losi clutch tool. Have used mine lots over the years..
Old 09-24-2016, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nitry View Post
Do you have any picture of your setup?
Which savox servo are you running in your MT?
It's overkill, savox 2270 brushless high torque like 480oz I think.

It's not the one being used in the picture, the one in the pic is like 347oz which is plenty. Savox 1268 sg. I just cut a 3m screw to make a threaded rod to be used to connect the to rod ends together.

I found going to a single servo, I had tons of flex in the plastic mounting in between the chassis and servo, so I opted for the aluminum mounts, and no flex it's great.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:16 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by FLDan View Post
Losi has a clutch tool that does make changing the shoes easier. Trying to do it with a screwdriver can get infuriating after a couple stabs in the hand...

Bad Ass Creations made a drag link to improve steering over the stock counterpart. Might be hard to find one nowadays..
The clutch tool is a great idea.
I searched after the Bad Ass Creations steering link. Sadly it's not available anymore. However I got some idea how to make a similar one.

+2 on the Losi clutch tool. Have used mine lots over the years..
I just ordered the clutch tool. Thanks!

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28 View Post
It's overkill, savox 2270 brushless high torque like 480oz I think.

It's not the one being used in the picture, the one in the pic is like 347oz which is plenty. Savox 1268 sg. I just cut a 3m screw to make a threaded rod to be used to connect the to rod ends together.

I found going to a single servo, I had tons of flex in the plastic mounting in between the chassis and servo, so I opted for the aluminum mounts, and no flex it's great.

I'm using two 1233SG servos. When the wheels are on the ground these servos just barely can turn them.
The 1233SG can do 180oz torque or so. I don't think the 480oz is overkill for these big tires.

Wow, great steering setup. I'll do the same mod if the MG servo safer won't work as I planned.
Thanks for the pics.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nitry View Post
The clutch tool is a great idea.
I searched after the Bad Ass Creations steering link. Sadly it's not available anymore. However I got some idea how to make a similar one.

I just ordered the clutch tool. Thanks!

I'm using two 1233SG servos. When the wheels are on the ground these servos just barely can turn them.
The 1233SG can do 180oz torque or so. I don't think the 480oz is overkill for these big tires.

Wow, great steering setup. I'll do the same mod if the MG servo safer won't work as I planned.
Thanks for the pics.

480oz is alot to me and I love it tho. And it's also brushless running at 7.4v so it's efficient, the 1268 runs at 7.4v and 347oz and it was also a great servo and plenty of power to the steering as a cheaper option.

Also another thing, Overdriven as mentioned to me that you want the bellcrank arm to be parallel with your servo arm, this allows less drag I believe in your setup.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

For the single servo conversion you do want the servo arm to be as parallel as possible to the bellcrank. The less parallel to each other they are the more mechanical exponential that is introduced. In other words, when parallel 50% input equals 50% steering angle. Not parallel 50% right input could be 40% right steering angle with 50% left input equalling 60% Left steering angle. So center the bellcrank, then center your steering servo and adjust the linkage length to get them as parallel as possible. If you want to get technical, measure from the pivot point of the bellcrank to the center of the servo spline, make your this your steering link length. Then measure the distance between center of bellcrank pivot point to the link mount and duplicate on your servo horn. I eyeballed it and can't notice any difference left to right, just get it as close as you can.

If you don't want to do a single servo conversion Associated MGT servo savers are a popular upgrade. Just get the ones needed for your servo. Savox is 25T spline and so is Futaba so they'll probably be listed as Futaba. Have fun adjusting the stock steering links, those tiny set screws like to strip out.

As for the Bad Ass Creations steering link, that's not going to be easy to find. Below is a link detailing the measurements needed to create your own for better Ackerman angle to tighten up the turns. Of course you'll need to readjust all of the steering linkage after installing. Besides doing some custom work to adapt Muggy or another 1/8 buggy/truggy style steering bellcrank to the truck the Bad Ass Creations link and single servo mod is as good as it gets for the LST.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/losi...ring-link.html

Last edited by Overdriven; 09-26-2016 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Almost forgot the link
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28 View Post
480oz is alot to me and I love it tho. And it's also brushless running at 7.4v so it's efficient, the 1268 runs at 7.4v and 347oz and it was also a great servo and plenty of power to the steering as a cheaper option.

Also another thing, Overdriven as mentioned to me that you want the bellcrank arm to be parallel with your servo arm, this allows less drag I believe in your setup.
I received the MG Servo Saver and now my steering works perfect. These servos are now powerful. My modified steering linkage was the problem.
I'm using NiMh battery 1700mAh I'll need something better.

Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
For the single servo conversion you do want the servo arm to be as parallel as possible to the bellcrank. The less parallel to each other they are the more mechanical exponential that is introduced. In other words, when parallel 50% input equals 50% steering angle. Not parallel 50% right input could be 40% right steering angle with 50% left input equalling 60% Left steering angle. So center the bellcrank, then center your steering servo and adjust the linkage length to get them as parallel as possible. If you want to get technical, measure from the pivot point of the bellcrank to the center of the servo spline, make your this your steering link length. Then measure the distance between center of bellcrank pivot point to the link mount and duplicate on your servo horn. I eyeballed it and can't notice any difference left to right, just get it as close as you can.

If you don't want to do a single servo conversion Associated MGT servo savers are a popular upgrade. Just get the ones needed for your servo. Savox is 25T spline and so is Futaba so they'll probably be listed as Futaba. Have fun adjusting the stock steering links, those tiny set screws like to strip out.

As for the Bad Ass Creations steering link, that's not going to be easy to find. Below is a link detailing the measurements needed to create your own for better Ackerman angle to tighten up the turns. Of course you'll need to readjust all of the steering linkage after installing. Besides doing some custom work to adapt Muggy or another 1/8 buggy/truggy style steering bellcrank to the truck the Bad Ass Creations link and single servo mod is as good as it gets for the LST.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/losi...ring-link.html

I bought the MG Servo Saver and I just changed the top piece to the original LST one. It works perfect now.
I like the idea of the dual servos.

I'm having a tune problem with my MT. It does not hold the tune no matter what I do. It bogs down at full throttle after 2-3 sec.
It leans out at full throttle even if I richen out the HSN. I bought new o-rings for the carb, but didn't really help. After the 2nd tank I just gave up yesterday.
Today I changed the fuel lines. But I still had the same problem. However I realized that there are lot of bubbles in the fuel line to the carb. I started to search on the forum and I found there is a common problem with these fuel tanks. Most likely the problem is that the air leaks through the primer. So I removed the primer and filled the primer hole
on the tank with JB Weld putty. Hopefully this will solve my problem.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Single or dual is a matter of preference. In a perfect world I'd have 2 and the servo savers I picked would be perfect. I didn't feel like experimenting and I like tight steering so I went with the single servo mod.

Good call on filling the primer, they do tend to leak over time. There's also a bigger fuel tank that came on the LST2 and later trucks, not to be confused with the XXL2 gas fuel tank though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service