Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas summit thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Traxxas summit thoughts?

Looking at buying a new traxxas summit. Just wanting a good all around 4x4. Be using it on my street and around the yard maybe set up some obstacles and off-road forested areas mostly. Was thinking of sand dunes occasionally but I've heard bad things about combining rc's and sand. Thoughts???
Old 09-12-2016, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Carman25ana
Looking at buying a new traxxas summit. Just wanting a good all around 4x4. Be using it on my street and around the yard maybe set up some obstacles and off-road forested areas mostly. Was thinking of sand dunes occasionally but I've heard bad things about combining rc's and sand. Thoughts???
I love my summit. Its a great rig for what it is. Its not fast in stock form...but i guess it was never really meant to be.If ya dont want or expect silly 6s power it is great. Leave it stock and it will be a very reliable and robust truck.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hugemika79
I love my summit. Its a great rig for what it is. Its not fast in stock form...but i guess it was never really meant to be.If ya dont want or expect silly 6s power it is great. Leave it stock and it will be a very reliable and robust truck.
Awesome! Thanks for the response. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Get one and worry about possibly regretting it later. There are a lot of vehicles that cost just as much and don't offer anywhere near the versatility of the Summit. If you want to upgrade it, you can put a DeWalt 820-size brushed motor in it, gear it up a few teeth, and be good to go. The only other things I've come across that really obviously benefited from upgrading were the stock shifter servos and the center driveshafts. Blue Bird BMS-373MG servos can be used to replace the stock shifter servos, and the Traxxas center driveshafts for the E-Revo work great. I also replaced the stock springs because I wanted a firmer ride, but that's just tuning, not upgrading. Leave everything else stock.

If you want something that goes super-fast, get a Nero instead. Don't try to make the Summit do what the Nero can do; it's an oversized trail truck, not an oversized truggy.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

5 years, mostly stock. Still runs great. Gets mostly winter use, not a lot of true off road spots in suburbs. For little extra power I've been running a dual brushed motor system.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the responses!
Old 09-13-2016, 05:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

I had one for several years and what has been said is very true.
It will do alot of cool things and its rock solid..
The only thing that I had issues with if you put power too it like Mamba Monster power and you miss use it the diffs are a problem.
However there is nothing like the Summit for snow use and running through the woods and trails.
They are expensive and thats a fact but in my humble opinion its one of the best RTR monster trucks on the market.
I sold mine to venture into street speed truggies.
Wishing I had sold more boat stuff and kept the Summit.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default summit original thread

I picked up a usee summit for $100 needs alot of work but I've always loved tha look of tha summit ....I'm looking for tha original summit thread to read though and find some tips and tricks can't seem to find anyone know tha thread name ????
Old 09-13-2016, 09:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by monsterbrad
I had one for several years and what has been said is very true.
It will do alot of cool things and its rock solid..
The only thing that I had issues with if you put power too it like Mamba Monster power and you miss use it the diffs are a problem.
However there is nothing like the Summit for snow use and running through the woods and trails.
They are expensive and thats a fact but in my humble opinion its one of the best RTR monster trucks on the market.
I sold mine to venture into street speed truggies.
Wishing I had sold more boat stuff and kept the Summit.
Yeah, brushless is not a good idea in the Summit. But it doesn't need it anyway, the stock motor can make it pop wheelies just fine. You could always loosen the slipper clutch more, but then why bother putting a super-powerful motor in it anyway?

It does cost a lot, but that's because pretty much everything is "upgraded" right out of the box. I've never owned a vehicle that required less tinkering to get it to work right.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

the summit is a great moster truck!!!
like everyone is saying keep it stock.
i also have a hpi savage flux. so never had the need to upgrade it for more speed.
i also agree it is a lot of fun in the winter in the snow.
climbing steep hills almost straight up the summit is a just beast also pulling things.
if i had to choose between the summit and savage it would be the summit.
i just find the summit more fun to play around with. i race off road with my cars and
trucks so the only bashing i do is with the summit and savage.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Best all around Monster Truck there is...
Truggy and CORR trucks are next in the fun factor
if you race buy a race quality vehickle
Old 09-18-2016, 01:03 AM
Tech Adept

Yep get the summit and never look back. Leave it brushed and just run it. Only downside is having to charge two battery packs at the same time to run or wait to charge one at a time depending on the charger. Otherwise, love mine!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

Definitely worth getting a dual charger to avoid having to babysit the charger. That unfortunately adds another $100 onto the "price" of the Summit. But the dual charger is also useful for other vehicles, since you can storage-charge the battery you just used while simultaneously full-charging the next battery.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

All traxxas trucks are cool because they can be upgraded alot. The Summit is a classic truck it can do what ever you want depending on upgrades.