Axial SMT10 Monster Truck

Old 06-14-2020, 04:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stulec52
hey guys.
picking up my builders kit this week.
Been thinking about wheels and tires.
Anyone know if the Tamiya CR-01 wheels fit straight on?? I'm just not sure if the offset works.
I'm hopeful they do, as they look great, and would save me buying more stuff :-)
thanks
Anythiung with a 12mm hex will fit, your offset may not plus I think the CR-01 uses 1.9 wheels correct? They’re gonna be really small if that’s the case
Old 06-14-2020, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
Anythiung with a 12mm hex will fit, your offset may not plus I think the CR-01 uses 1.9 wheels correct? They’re gonna be really small if that’s the case
thanks Adam,
Although CR01 is 2.2. (CC01 and CC02 use 1.9)
Wonder if anyone has tried them yet. I'll find out for sure this week :-)
Old 06-15-2020, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by element6
Hey everyone. What are you all running your offset at for the tribute wheels and larger width tires (I’m using jcon renegades). Got lots of rubbing to the lower bars at full lock With the 18mm offset. I thought it looked the most realistic though and didn’t want to push them out too far.
Originally Posted by MaX-D
Running mine at 25mm. I use the aluminum hex adapters. No rubbing.
Running the 25mm adapters as well. Both plastic and aluminum. I don't recall if I am running full lock or not though, its been a while since I set it.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Been wanting to try mounting the shocks on the axles because I like how it looks but can't figure out any place to put the sway bars. Everything I've seen online where someone has relocated their shocks seems to be hacked together when relocating the sway bars. Were the sway bars never intended to be placed anywhere else or is this just a limitation/lack of foresight of the stock chassis. Or am I just missing something that's obvious to everyone else.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by soulstice
Been wanting to try mounting the shocks on the axles because I like how it looks but can't figure out any place to put the sway bars. Everything I've seen online where someone has relocated their shocks seems to be hacked together when relocating the sway bars. Were the sway bars never intended to be placed anywhere else or is this just a limitation/lack of foresight of the stock chassis. Or am I just missing something that's obvious to everyone else.

This is where i ended up putting mine.
MikaR and Bustedknuckles like this.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:57 AM
Tech Regular

Nicely done rig!

Yeah, that seems to be the only spot. The sway bar arms I got are the same length as the kit sway bars and are not as short as the ones on yours so I'll probably need to get different ones as they'll run into the shocks on compression. Who makes the shock mounts on your rig?
Old 08-19-2020, 06:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by soulstice
Nicely done rig!

Yeah, that seems to be the only spot. The sway bar arms I got are the same length as the kit sway bars and are not as short as the ones on yours so I'll probably need to get different ones as they'll run into the shocks on compression. Who makes the shock mounts on your rig?

The Sway Bar kit is Crawford Performance. Have since replaced the set screw is to small and was stripping it be fore i could get it tight enough to hold.

Shock mounts are from eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-SET-4Pcs-...8AAOSwDNdV1s8D
- Made in china but work good at keeping the ride height low.
soulstice likes this.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:56 PM
Tech Regular

It's amazing how much stiffer the shocks are when mounted on the axles. I'll need to get softer springs if I keep that setup.

Decided to mess around a bit before returning things back to the stock configuration and see what I could come up with using parts that came with the kit in inventive ways. Haven't tried running these in this configuration so I can't validate whether it's any good/works but I think it's an interesting exercise nonetheless. Probably end up going with MattKimble's configuration.

Experiment 1 (Using Sway Bar Clamp part)

Sway bar clap config

Sway bar clamp added to chassis

Experiment 2 (Alternate sway bar mount configuration)

Old 08-20-2020, 06:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

How well does the suspension cycle with the sway bar in that location? Looks like it would hit the shock when it travels. I have the same Sway bar kit that i am going to use on my next build but i need to shorten the aluminum arm so it clears the shocks
Old 08-20-2020, 06:26 AM
Tech Regular

Surprisingly the sway bar arm clears in both instances of these modified positions. Gets close to the shock but never hits it on compression. The one area that I do think needs to be modified are how the links attach to the sway bar arm. On compression the locknut gets really close to the chassis and I think if you landed off center it would most likely hit. Easy solution is to mount the locknut on the opposite side (not ideal because of the recess for the screw) or possibly using some of the stock sway bar arm parts which could go around the aluminum arm ends.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry the truck is so dirty but here is what i did with mine on this truck.

I turned mine the other way to clear the chassis also. The recess for the screw helped in this case.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default May as well trash all the plastic

I figured the beef tubes in the axles would make them rigid enough for a onyx brushless motor with vanquish 38 13 diffs and ssd trans but 3s proved too much. I stripped those 38 13 gears I believe from too much flex in the axle. I've got alot of coin in my smt10 and seems it's still climbing. Anyone has extra metal axles let me know I'll pay cash.

Seems I can't post pics?
Old 07-23-2021, 06:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm about to build a new raw builders kit and was wondering, would it be better to install beef tubes or to just get aluminum axles? Since I am building this with the sport mod class in mind I was trying to not add to much weight, but seem to be running into a problem finding aluminum beef tubes. Complete axles seem to be plentiful though and wondered if I would be better off going that way? Anybody have any insight?
Old 07-23-2021, 09:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
I'm about to build a new raw builders kit and was wondering, would it be better to install beef tubes or to just get aluminum axles? Since I am building this with the sport mod class in mind I was trying to not add to much weight, but seem to be running into a problem finding aluminum beef tubes. Complete axles seem to be plentiful though and wondered if I would be better off going that way? Anybody have any insight?
You'll be stronger with full housings but beef tubes are plenty for most. Full housings don't slide over stuff as easily as the plastic axles. You get a little more weight down low with full housings. Beef tubes leave $ in your pocket. Some like the looks of full housings. Idk...
JCarr likes this.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.