Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree45Likes

Axial SMT10 Monster Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 10:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

So, is the concensus the SMT 10 needs heavy mods to be reliable? I had been looking to get my youngest into MT, yet perhaps this may not be the best bet. He has a Kyosho Scorpion, Kyosho RT5 and an Tamiya F103 right now that he wheels. Yet dont want his first MT experience to be a let down.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:04 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
So, is the concensus the SMT 10 needs heavy mods to be reliable? I had been looking to get my youngest into MT, yet perhaps this may not be the best bet. He has a Kyosho Scorpion, Kyosho RT5 and an Tamiya F103 right now that he wheels. Yet dont want his first MT experience to be a let down.

Sounds like the Kyosho Mad Crusher is right up your alley.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Instead of doing a separate build thread, I decided to drop a few pics of my SMT10, which started out as a Max-D pre-roller, which I scored off eBay, back before Christmas. It was a super deal that I didn't want to pass up, and I already had wheels & electronics lying around. So far, it is setup as a Mega Truck, but I might get some legit MT wheels & tires, because those Mud Bashers are really tall & narrow, which seem to make it highly tippy.

Parts of Interest:
ESC/MOTOR: Leopard Hobby 60A/3930KV 2-Pole system
TRANSMISSION: Hot Racing HT 57T Steel Full Metal Locked Transmission

Phat-Boy and Dave_S like this.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan

Just about every truck requires modifications. It all depends on how hard you run the truck. They are pretty strong out of the box with just a couple of mods and a faster motor.

The smt10 has a more scale look than most. That is its best selling point to me.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I just picked up a "used" MaxD. It came in as a return with bad ESC. It may have been ran once but it looks brand new. Now the radio and ESC are MIA but that just means there is less I have to take out. By the way, anyone want to make me an offer on the MaxD body. It still has the parts tree with it too.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Tech Rookie

this seems like a dead page but i love my Smt10, the thing has the nickname unbreakable cause it never fails. i race every second weekend and never have an issue. i have only snapped one lower link.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

It's back! I'm seriously considering finally getting a monster truck. I have some old T-MAXX wheels, and idea if they fit this truck in regards of clearance?

Old 12-20-2019, 04:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by anthonyscardina
It's back! I'm seriously considering finally getting a monster truck. I have some old T-MAXX wheels, and idea if they fit this truck in regards of clearance?
I was very suprised to see this yesterday. I see they finally dropped the price to a reasonable number. Remember when it came out. Every thought it looked great. But backed off with the $400 plus price.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

what aftermarket parts do people put on the smt10 to make it really durable ?
Old 12-23-2019, 05:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Everything ! lol j/k . I think the first thing most users are upgrading is the ESC and Motor as its pretty darn slow out of the box. Wheels and tires also is very popular upgrade to make it look more scale.
werner sline likes this.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Can you put say Traxxas Bigbore 8 pack shocks on this thing. To make it more scale?
Old 12-30-2019, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline
what aftermarket parts do people put on the smt10 to make it really durable ?
"Everything" isn't far off, honestly.

It all depends on which tires you're going to run and which power. If you want a fast, brushless powered truck with 2.6" Clod-sized tires you are going to have to upgrade nearly everything.
werner sline likes this.
Old 01-01-2020, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KoonTEK
Everything ! lol j/k . I think the first thing most users are upgrading is the ESC and Motor as its pretty darn slow out of the box. Wheels and tires also is very popular upgrade to make it look more scale.
I believe they upgraded to metal gears in transmission and swapped out electronics. Might not be a speed demon but should be better than before.
werner sline likes this.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Looking to getting the SMT10 this week or so. Was originally going to get the builders kit but doesn't seem like a good value when you compare it to the RTR since you get body, tires, esc, motor, servo receiver, transmitter. From what I gather there doesn't seem to be any upgrades to the builders kit that makes the base different from the RTR.

I do have jconcepts renegades/tribute on the way already so I'm guessing upgrading electronics is a must. Regardless, what servo/motor/esc combo for this truck have people had good success with?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by soulstice
Looking to getting the SMT10 this week or so. Was originally going to get the builders kit but doesn't seem like a good value when you compare it to the RTR since you get body, tires, esc, motor, servo receiver, transmitter. From what I gather there doesn't seem to be any upgrades to the builders kit that makes the base different from the RTR.

I do have jconcepts renegades/tribute on the way already so I'm guessing upgrading electronics is a must. Regardless, what servo/motor/esc combo for this truck have people had good success with?

Eventually you will replace all the electrics on the RTR. I would put the cash towards a good esc/motor combo. I used the 120a sct HW/ 4300 kv setup on 2s. I had a bunch of shorty lipos from racing so I just used what I had. If I was to do it again I would run sensored 1/8 setup with a 4600 kv. I also have a mamba X/17.5 boosted setup in another. Don't cheap out on a servo, you will destroy them with clod sized tires. I forgot the number but I choose a HV savox aluminum cased servo. Roughly $150-180 don't remember. Stock plastic wheels will eventually get rounded out if you lock the diffs. So jconcepts makes aluminum hubs which is also a must. Any other questions just ask. A few of us have been through it already.....probably more than once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.