4x4 purchase

Old 07-17-2016, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Agree with 47yok.

If you are into big air jumping that is much easier to control and make corrections mid air than the Kraton is your choice.

While i have never owned a Kraton i have owned a Losi 8T w/ MT tires and learning to control that in the jumping sense took all of about 3 jumps. The Losi being a MT takes a lot more finesse to do a small or big jump correctly.

Your terrain IMO should dictate what you purchase. If you are running in a fairly groomed area like a local park or a new housing track with a few small rocks than the Kraton is the best choice.

The Losi XXL is more if it is in the trunk and while your driving to the grocery store, you see a bash spot and say to yourself that would be a cool spot to "Bash". You pull over and just do it with the XXL and leave with a giant grin and say i'll be back here for sure. It doesn't care where it is. Big air? You bet. Groomed park type setting? You bet. Rocky washed out side of the road, rutted to caca area? You bet. To me the XXL is i can do anything with it in any terrain i see. The Kraton will be more of a thought of where you run.

The Losi XXL has been around for so long that the weak spots have basically been engineered out of it. That shows in the aftermarket. Why upgrade when you son;t need to. It is far cheaper to replace a $5 plastic part that more than likely wore out than actually broke. I have $hundreds in spare parts for my XXL because i came from other MFG's that you needed a wall full of spare parts to keep them running. The plain and simple fact is that Losu has some of the best plastic formulas on the market and you just don't need a wall of spare parts. When it breaks as they all do the parts are so cheap that nobody buys the uber awesome aluminum upgrades. Again, why upgrade when it really isn't needed or makes $$ sense.
Truth. See that parts wall, mainly xxl2e parts, still on the wall because nothing breaks, seriously I never break anything except shock shafts and I have plenty.
Attached Thumbnails 4x4 purchase-image.jpg  
Old 07-17-2016, 09:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

More then anything tire diameter dictates how rough of terrain the car can cross..Kraton or XXL all that will matter is who has the taller tire when it comes to heavy terrain..

Performance ...Kraton...it is a lighter machine with a racer design and a lower COG... so that means it can go faster and corner harder without tipping over..

Durability.... both are tough... usually a truggy is substantially more durable then a MT...but enough guys here say the XXL is tough so I will give it a pass... I do know my LST Nitro was nowhere near as durable as my Nitro truggies. And on the track the truggies ran past it like it was a pylon...

Ease of maintenance...Kraton hands down.... much simpler design, everything is wide open, takes only minutes to take the truck apart...

Handling... Kraton !

Jumping.. Kraton !

I just ran my Kraton today on 6S and was blown away by how easily it handled the power... The chassis is super stable and IMO could easily handle quite a bit more power ... So in the end my vote is kraton all the way, to me the XXL was too much like driving a school bus, too big and lumbering for my taste....
Old 07-18-2016, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

Don't forget about the HPI Savage! In nitro or electric they prove to be pretty durable in stock form. I also Like The Kyosho Mad Force trucks a lot, I have a nitro Kruiser 2.0. It's very fun to drive, completely different experience than most 1/8 trucks. They are quite durable in stock form and priced nicely, but aftermarket is non existent and parts supply sucks.

I really like the Associated Rival and MGT trucks. They are priced very well and from what I've seen can take quite a beating! I'd love to own an MGT 8.0 some day.

There is also the Axial Yeti 1/10 and XL, not really monster trucks, but very capable off road due mostly to their large tires and can be built to do whatever you want. The 1/10 is really more of an 1/8 scale truck, about the same size and my MAd Force and the XL is more of a 1/7 scale truck. My 1/10 Yeti (Geared up a few teeth from stock) is actually faster than a Stampede 4x4 VXL in high drag off road situations and can jump very nicely. Cornering is not the Yeti's strong suit, and the 1/10 can only run 3S on it's RTR ESC. You can get them in kit form and install whatever motor and ESC you want, but the 1/10 battery tray can only really hold 3S packs. They aren't the most durable in stock trim, though. Some of the plastic used are really flexible and weak looking. I have yet to break mine after some pretty good beatings, but I can tell if it is beat on hard too often it will break.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rpscuba View Post
I plan to do like several of you explain, have it with me and be ready to run it anywhere anytime... I do not like the idea of being limited by terrain.

From asphalt to our 80 acres, part of which used to be a rock quarry....
Sounds like you could use both types of trucks. Lol.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 47yok View Post
Sounds like you could use both types of trucks. Lol.
Sounds like I need 3 or 4 as per all of the great input on this thread. The one thing that I can deduct is that anything Traxxas Maxx is not high on anyone's list - which is good to know. I had been leaning toward the X Maxx prior to this conversation. I have narrowed it to the XXL2E and the Kraton - maybe leaning XXL2E at the moment. However, I am concerned about why the XXL2E is several hundred more than Kraton - which may be faster, more durable, better at jumps and handle cornering better.

So much good information, thanks everyone!
Old 07-18-2016, 05:31 AM
Tech Regular

However, I am concerned about why the XXL2E is several hundred more than Kraton - which may be faster, more durable, better at jumps and handle cornering better.
Appears to me you have made our decision
Old 07-18-2016, 05:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
Appears to me you have made our decision
Can it be that simple?? lol
Old 07-18-2016, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sounds like I need 3 or 4 as per all of the great input on this thread. The one thing that I can deduct is that anything Traxxas Maxx is not high on anyone's list - which is good to know. I had been leaning toward the X Maxx prior to this conversation. I have narrowed it to the XXL2E and the Kraton - maybe leaning XXL2E at the moment. However, I am concerned about why the XXL2E is several hundred more than Kraton - which may be faster, more durable, better at jumps and handle cornering better.

So much good information, thanks everyone!
Its more complex, as well its price is still a carry over from the days when MT's were very popular..It was the highest end MT on the market and also the most expensive... The Kraton is is a new way of thinking, after a nearly a decade of Truggy racing companies have seen the benefits of the Truggy design over the MT and they are now able to provide a much simpler and more effective machine for much less money...Most of the guys who like MT like them for nostalgia reasons not for actual driving experience or mechanical capability ( not that there is anything wrong with that of course ) ...I like MT's but they don't offer the same driving intensity that the truggies offer ...I do like some MT's for pulling stunts , but I am not sure a XXL is that good at that, its probably too long and too big to be doing standing backflips and crazy wheelies like a Savage would...
Old 07-18-2016, 06:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Well I know the price is right for the Kraton... seems like a deal.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChG73Mk9iyg
Here is my review of the xxl2e. It is a very very good truck. I have a nero i just picked up a few days ago, i will be reviewing it in a few weeks after i have put it through hell and back like the xxl.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chipmonk View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChG73Mk9iyg
Here is my review of the xxl2e. It is a very very good truck. I have a nero i just picked up a few days ago, i will be reviewing it in a few weeks after i have put it through hell and back like the xxl.
:-) - I have watched your review two or three times now on the tube... Thanks much for taking the time to make an awesome video.

I am literally split right down the middle between the Kraton and the XXL2E. Every so often I lean toward the MT aspect... and then I lean back toward the Kraton. Basically, I need to know that if a couple of my buddies get the Kreton (highly likely) and I get the XXL2E that I wont be outgunned and whooped up on...
Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Reality is, if you end up really getting into this hobby you are going to have the Kraton, the XXL and probably a dozen other trucks in no time. I wish I was kidding but this hobby can really get out of control, all these years later I am still searching for that "perfect" rig, but it's a unicorn. There are so many cool cars out there and at the end of the day they all have their high-points, you'll just have to take the plunge and buy what you sell yourself on based on what you've read. That's the beauty of this hobby, for me at least I have as much fun just thinking about the next project and doing the work to set it up as I do driving the cars. They are a good chunk of money but it's not like going out and buying a really car where you are pretty committed to the purchase, worst case you learn a few things and flip it here on RCTech or eBay and on to the next one.
I saw a comment about the Savage. That is another of my personal favorites, I think it's one of the coolest MT designs ever and it and the Maxx series of vehicles can be credited with driving MT's to what they are today. That being said they do have some issues that need addressing if you are going to drive them hard (diffs mainly) and they are not as easy to work on as most would like. I think you would have a much better introduction into the hobby with the Kraton or XXL. The Kraton, like any 1/8 truggy is stupid easy to work on but the XXL is not bad at all either.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Tech Initiate

HPI Savage Flux HP??
Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Yes, the Flux HP.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RC Juice View Post
Yes, the Flux HP.
Nice one too... Looks a little squirrely compared to the XXL2E maybe?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service