Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
What type of voltage meter should I get? >

What type of voltage meter should I get?

What type of voltage meter should I get?

Old 07-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? What type of voltage meter should I get?

I was wondering should I buy the small voltage meter/alarm and mount it to my cars or should I buy the larger one that you just check here n there? What is the best/safest way? Going on an inferno gt2 and a Losi LST XXL 2e. Thanks
Old 07-04-2016, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

I just use a voltage checker before I and usually after I run. The lvc on the esc will do the job of the voltage alarm. I set all mine to 3.4 for safe measure. Either way wouldn't hurt, I guess with an alarm you'll have extra insurance, but it's not necessary. Hope this helps
Old 07-04-2016, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Not really necessary. Your charger should be able to display the voltages of all the cells for you. Lipos want to be 3.0v per cell or higher, lower can cause damage or possibly worse if its continued to be used. I set my LVC to 3.2v to help prevent any cells that are lower than the others from going under 3.0v, it's enough insurance for me and my packs are around 3.75v per cell at the end of a run. Since LVC is tripped while under load, resting voltage is always higher and I've yet to have a cell go below 3.0v. I've come close on a few packs with cells that were failing/puffing though.

Anyway lipos like to be stored near their 3.7v per cell nominal voltage. I prefer being 3.75-3.8v per cell for longer term (winter) storage just in case voltage sags over time. After your done for the day you should check the voltages and charge them to this level if you're not going to be using them the next day. So whether you check the voltage with a meter or the charger it's likely they'll end up on the charger for at least a little charge either way. Just check them on the charger is my philosophy. Besides, if the pack is failing there will be other more obvious signs than voltage, like puffing, being too hot or being really hot and on fire. These are not the times to be checking voltage because it really doesn't matter at this point. This is the time to get the pack away from the vehicle and then you away from the pack.

Last edited by Overdriven; 07-04-2016 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Botched
Old 07-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

50%? I thought it was between 60-70%? 3.8v per cell might be even more. Lipos tend to drop quickly from 4.2v per cell to around 3.7 and stay there. Most charger have the built in feature to be around 3.7v per cell.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You know what, I botched the numbers pretty good on that post which I edited. Maybe I should just put the phone down, pick my alcohol and watermelon back up and rejoin my crazy family.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

3.0 is very bad for a lipo... almost to the point of it being garbage.....

I have my lvc set in the 3.4-3.6 range

I know spc actually says not to let them get below 3.5v
Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It depends on your ESC. Castle has a good LVC system, I have mine set at the highest setting which is 3.5. You don't want the battery going any lower than that. Hobbywing on the other hand has a poor LVC system depending on the model.