Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Brand new Losi LST XXL 2e >

Brand new Losi LST XXL 2e

Brand new Losi LST XXL 2e

Old 07-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Unhappy Brand new Losi LST XXL 2e

Brand new! I put lock tight on the set screws and put a wing on. I just went to run it 6s "waiting for 2s batts to come in to run 5s" and it made a loud clicking sound. I pulled the cover off the gears to see what's up. I went to loosen the slipper nut and the shaft sheared right off! So now I need to replace the shaft part # losb3132.. I can fix that but I still don't know why it made that sound??? I can hit the throttle and the pinion spins and the the big gear spins witch makes the drive shafts spin but it doesn't get power to the weels! Please help!
Old 07-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

If the center shafts are spinning then the problem lies at the diffs. It could be as simple as loose grub screws for the center shafts on the diff end. Or it could be internal to the diff with a broken drive pin, stripped ring and pinion or spider gears. Since its brand new you should consider contacting Losi/Horizon and see what they say and or will do for you.

I just read your post again, you don't mention power getting to any of the wheels front or rear. Are any of the wheels getting power?
Old 07-02-2016, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

I had broken a pin a while back in the tranny behind one of the sun gears, that was causing a loss of power to my rear wheels, it was replaced with the hpi alternative., but also a loose scrub screw on one of the drive cups.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:31 PM
Tech Regular

This set screw is at both ends of driveshaft. If they're tight then it's in diff.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

There is a flat spot on shafts. That's where the set screw gets tightened down on.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks everyone, don't have time now but tomorrow night. I was getting power for about 3 feet and then nothing front or back..
Old 07-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

Check the grub screws that hold the axle on the diff pinion gear to.
And screw them on the flat spots/indents of the gears, if you havent done that.
But if you snapped that shaft, isn't it logical you don't have any power?
Old 07-03-2016, 06:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

It didn't have power before the screw snapped
Old 07-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

If there's no power front or back then the problem is with the trans and is likely a broken drive pin as Buggybasher said. There's 1 or 2 drive pins inside the trans and I believe there's one on input shaft behind the slipper assembly as well.

I'd still contact Losi/Horizon since the truck is brand new. They'll probably do something for you, even if it's just sending you a new input shaft and some drive pins, it's something.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the tips and advice. I sent an email to RC superstore explaining my problem. I didn't call because I thought they'd be closed. It's real cool they emailed me back and without question replaced the parts. I need the part #'s for the diff upgrades still. I'm going to call tomorrow to order diff parts.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

What weight oil do you guys run in the center? And the front/rear diffs? Thanks
Old 07-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by irish177
I need the part #'s for the diff upgrades still. I'm going to call tomorrow to order diff parts.
The XXL2e comes with the HD diffs. The only real diff upgrade to do is replacing the drive pins with HPI versions and making sure they're shimmed as good as possible. I linked a thread somewhere in one of your threads that has part numbers and sizes.

Originally Posted by irish177
What weight oil do you guys run in the center? And the front/rear diffs? Thanks
There is no center diff on the XXL2e. For lubing the gears in the trans you can go with anything from automotive wheel bearing grease to gorilla snawt to the supposedly dedicated rc grease from AE and Losi. I use a little synthetic automotive wheel bearing grease in the trans and to lube the ring and pinion in the front and rear diffs. For the synthetic fluid in the diffs I run 30k front and 25k rear. 20k-30k is a good range for these trucks.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Tech Regular

I use marine grease in the trans, aND lube the ring n pinion front n rear with it also. I fill my diffs with 50k front/rear, I like it a bit more than the 30k. But everyone is different
Old 07-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
I use marine grease in the trans, aND lube the ring n pinion front n rear with it also. I fill my diffs with 50k front/rear, I like it a bit more than the 30k. But everyone is different
Yup everyone is different. I've tried 10k-30k in my truck and don't see any need for me to go higher with my setup. I'm a little surprised you're happy with 50k in this truck, that's a pretty good amount of locking action and I'd think steering would suffer a bit. On an Emaxx 50k is definitely needed as the smaller spider gears require heavier fluid to get a similar diff action. Whatever works for you though.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Tech Regular

Front end is never down anyways lol, steering is probably hindered slightly but I must say, I have this truck dialed in the way I like it and it's simply a blast, way more buck over the emaxx anyday

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.