Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
xxl2e turnbuckle mod >

xxl2e turnbuckle mod

xxl2e turnbuckle mod

Old 06-16-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default xxl2e turnbuckle mod

i have never seen this so maybe i have a novel idea. i am going to do a proof of concept this weekend unless one of the experts around here has some insight as to why this couldn't be done. i have broken 1 tierod so i don't view this as a huge issue yet. just sort of brainstorming.... the turnbuckle ends losa6546 are larger and more robust that the factory ones. lunford makes a 95mm x 5mm titanium turnbuckle. these and maybe these would also be necessary
this seems like it will be a bullet proof fix if it works so i am thinking someone has already tried it. if no one has i have enough stuff to do a proof of concept this weekend and can post pictures. i just replaced the tierods with the 4 mm lunsford ones that are meant for the application, but have read that when people do this they just get broken rod ends instead of broken rods. any input would be appreciated
Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 PM
Tech Regular

I've thought about trying the Lunsford tierods. But then I was concerned that it would break the bellcranks or Akerman bar.

Tierods are easy to fix. The other stuff takes much longer.
What the hay - try it.
Let us know.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 47yok
I've thought about trying the Lunsford tierods. But then I was concerned that it would break the bellcranks or Akerman bar.

Tierods are easy to fix. The other stuff takes much longer.
What the hay - try it.
Let us know.
Me as well until I thought about some more. As often as you would bend or break a rod, replacing it with something beefier means something behind it gets the punishment. Far cheaper and easier to replace a stock rod then pulling apart a LST front end in the steering department. Dreading my servo upgrade that's coming next.

I do have Lunford on my Muggy but that's a different animal and much easier to skin.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

i have wondered about just moving the failure point out to something harder to get to. i put a 3/32 piano wire in to replace the stock steering linkage and have not had any issue with it. i suppose the bell cranks would be my next concern. i have a couple of more robust servos that i got shortly after i got the truck having heard that the steering was weak. i put the MGT springs on the servo savers though and the steering has been more that adequate so right now they are just waiting for my next project. does anyone still make legit bellcranks? i really hope that with the electric being popular some of the old hop ups come back. i got mine last august when i saw that they had an electric version. no way to run nitro where i live. neighbors are a bit too uptight
Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Replacing the stock tie rods with 8ight parts has been done before. Not sure model 8ight tie rods are the perfect fit but it has been done before.