Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Losi 5T shocks on XXL2e >

Losi 5T shocks on XXL2e

Losi 5T shocks on XXL2e

Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Losi 5T shocks on XXL2e

i saw in a google search that the front shocks of a 5T would be a stronger alternative to the stock shocks. chop shops have replacement sets for about $30 dollars shipped. the 5T are more like $90 per set. the link that i found is to a defunct forum. is this a gem that has been lost to the past. does it work? anyone here have any experience trying these?
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The 5T shocks are very similar in size, 5T springs actually fit LST shocks without modification but idk if vice versa is true. I've seen the thread on the defunct forum you're referring to and it's also the only time I've seen anyone do this mod. The details are hazy but if I remember right the rod end on the bottom is larger and the ball in it is also bigger. I think they cut the ball down to fit in the width of the arm but the arm had to be opened up the other way to fit the rod end. The mounting bolt was also a larger diameter. The mounting hole at the top of the shock is also a larger diameter and I forget what exactly was done there but it wasn't rocket science. May have been as simple as using the 5T upper shock hardware or sleeving the LST hardware with some shrink tubing.

If you're serious about trying this I'd recommend picking up some 5T shock rod ends first. See how much of the arm will need to be cut away. If you're not comfy with what needs to be done you wasted a lot less $ than if you had bought the actual shocks. The other thing to remember is spring rate. Not sure what's available for the 5T but stock I believe is 11.6lb while LST maxes out around 9lbs. Again, I know 5T springs fit LST shocks, not sure about vice versa as I haven't seen confirmation.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

so someone beat me already to doing the 5T shock mod, not surprised though.

as for the springs the 5T shock springs has 38mm diameter and the LST has 35mm.

as for the pivot balls on the rod end of the 5T it has a width of 9.5mm and the mounting space on the LST a-arms is 7mm.

and as for the screws the LST uses 4mm upper shock mount and 3mm lower shock mount (this is after doing the screw mod) and the 5T uses a hardware for the upper shock mount (mm?) and a screw on the lower shock mount (mm?).

@trout74 - thank you sir
Old 06-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Tech Adept

before I forget the shock shafts of the LST is 4mm in diameter while the 5T has 7mm.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:38 AM
Tech Addict

According to the 5ive manual the lower shock mounting screws are part LOSB6579, and those are 5mm according to the site:

http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB6579

Going with the same strategy for the upper shock mounts they use part LOSB2859, which is this odd system:

http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB2859

You could ask if someone knows the size of that part in the Losi 5ive topic?
By the way, it is possible to use 4mm screws on the bottom of the LST to, you just have to drill up the balls in the shock ends.
They you could just buy a 4mm aluminium tube of ,5mm thick, and you can use that as a sleeve between the screw and the shock end of the 5ive shock.

Hope it helps a bit!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Great idea. Would you use the front or rears?

If the springs are that close in diameter do you think 5t shock boots will work on LST shocks?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Innovative RC. Makes shocks, same size as LST shocks but with 7mm shafts, and aluminum shock caps. But when ordering you need to specify it's for a losi LST so they give you the correct rod ends.
http://www.innovative-rc.com/complet...2_153_159.html
Old 06-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

How did I forgot those!
I would like to see if I could use my stock shockbodies, to keep the costs down a bit.
Old 06-14-2016, 01:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trout74
Innovative RC. Makes shocks, same size as LST shocks but with 7mm shafts, and aluminum shock caps. But when ordering you need to specify it's for a losi LST so they give you the correct rod ends.
http://www.innovative-rc.com/complet...2_153_159.html
Thanks for the link. Those are some awesome shocks. They say in the description they are 8mm so even better. As much as I like my IRC Muggy chassis I would have to go with the Losi 5T Fronts since the price point is basically the same. For me I can go get 5t parts at my LHS. Wish we had an IRC here in the states so shipping wouldn't be so $$

Last edited by cmbscx10; 06-16-2016 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Incorrect Word
Old 06-14-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cmbscx10
Thanks for the link. Those are some awesome shocks. They say in the description they are 8mm so even better. As much as I like my IRC Muggy chassis I would have to go with the Losi 5T rears since the price point is basically the same. For me I can go get 5t parts at my LHS. Wish we had an IRC here in the states so shipping wouldn't be so $$
are you talking about using the Losi 5T REAR shocks on the LST? the total length of the stock LST shocks are about 160mm and the 5T front shocks are about 165mm and the 5T rear shocks are about 190mm, so unless you want the shell really high up you can still use the 5T rear shocks. the 5T rear shocks are cheaper than the front ones on Dollarhobbyz BTW.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Eryx
are you talking about using the Losi 5T REAR shocks on the LST? the total length of the stock LST shocks are about 160mm and the 5T front shocks are about 165mm and the 5T rear shocks are about 190mm, so unless you want the shell really high up you can still use the 5T rear shocks. the 5T rear shocks are cheaper than the front ones on Dollarhobbyz BTW.
Let me correct that the 5T front shocks are 171.5mm while the rear shocks are 194mm in length
Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

I would personally not use the 190mm shocks?
I think the driveshafts will be on a steep angle, and maybe even hitting the outdrives?
Old 06-17-2016, 05:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Chiming in bc I thought about doing this about a year ago and found that it was a bit pointless, would be cool, but a lot of money for complete and total, yet awesome, overkill. On my muggy with LST towers(I call it the mega muggy), I run stock XXL shocks and I've put it through complete and total hell. I've not lost oil, bent a shock rod or had any issues whatsoever. The one thing I changed for maximum stiffness was add the Integy springs that I believe we're rated at 8.3 lbs. mine is a pig, clocking in around 16 pounds with CEN Genesis wheels, 6s bricks, XL2 and a 1717...yet I can drop it from about 5 ft up and it won't slap. I also bumped it to 80k oil, and it takes HUGE jumps like a champ.

+1 on the IRC chassis, it's so sweet....
Old 06-17-2016, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

pics, vids, jumps or it never happened !!
Old 06-18-2016, 03:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Pics vids of what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.