Search
Like Tree9Likes

NEW!!! Arrma Nero 6S 1/8 Monster Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 04:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
a flat pan chassis is far more durable then the TVP crap..

I sound like a broken record ! LOL
I have had issues with flex on flat chassis causing the chassis to hit the motor can , in turn damaging the chassis and motor (just cosmetic for the most part but the motor can was actually starting to get pretty bad before I noticed it.

Also the flex from big landings has damaged the screws and supports that run from top of gearbox towards center of chassis and/or top of center diff mount. (bent crews that don't want to come out, wallowed out plastic and aluminum ends, etc.)

Also bent the rear driveshaft because of the flex on a flat chassis...

I have never had a cosmetic or structural issue on the chassis of ANY of the half dozen or so Savages I have owned though (TVP chassis)

Each setup has it's purpose but TVP certainly isn't "crap" like you say!
Old 05-26-2016, 05:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrgrimm
I have had issues with flex on flat chassis causing the chassis to hit the motor can , in turn damaging the chassis and motor (just cosmetic for the most part but the motor can was actually starting to get pretty bad before I noticed it.

Also the flex from big landings has damaged the screws and supports that run from top of gearbox towards center of chassis and/or top of center diff mount. (bent crews that don't want to come out, wallowed out plastic and aluminum ends, etc.)

Also bent the rear driveshaft because of the flex on a flat chassis...

I have never had a cosmetic or structural issue on the chassis of ANY of the half dozen or so Savages I have owned though (TVP chassis)

Each setup has it's purpose but TVP certainly isn't "crap" like you say!

what flat pan car did you run ? some cheap cars have weak chassis plates, good cars have strong plates.edit..I see you had some good cars , nice to see ..... My Tekno truggy will take impacts that would destroy a Savage, there is a reason why MT's no longer race and its because they weren't durable enough and had issues finishing a race in one piece..everybody got sick of all the wrenching they required.........without question the most durable land RC's are the 1/8th race cars, buggy and truggy, they are many times more durable and reliable then any of the MT's

Also have to consider how easy it would be to add bracing to a flat pan if needed.. many racers are setup to flex for traction

Performance wise a flat pan is also much better...lower COG and a smooth bottom to glide over the ground should you bottom out...... in fact they are designed to flat land and bottom out, which helps them absorb the huge impacts without blowing apart its suspension like a MT will do....many bashers don't understand this and sky jack their flat pan cars thinking they are improving its capability when in fact they are drastically reducing it....

Last edited by Maximo; 05-26-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
what flat pan car did you run ? some cheap cars have weak chassis plates, good cars have strong plates.edit..I see you had some good cars , nice to see ..... My Tekno truggy will take impacts that would destroy a Savage, there is a reason why MT's no longer race and its because they weren't durable enough and had issues finishing a race in one piece..everybody got sick of all the wrenching they required.........without question the most durable land RC's are the 1/8th race cars, buggy and truggy, they are many times more durable and reliable then any of the MT's

Also have to consider how easy it would be to add bracing to a flat pan if needed.. many racers are setup to flex for traction

Performance wise a flat pan is also much better...lower COG and a smooth bottom to glide over the ground should you bottom out...... in fact they are designed to flat land and bottom out, which helps them absorb the huge impacts without blowing apart its suspension like a MT will do....many bashers don't understand this and sky jack their flat pan cars thinking they are improving its capability when in fact they are drastically reducing it....
I would have to agree with everything stated above.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I know I sound harsh saying these things to.... so I apologize for that , I Am probably a little more passionate about RC cars then I should be at my age LOL !

But the fact is I am on all the Savage forums and Facebook pages and the issues with those trucks is non stop..I have seen hundreds of them with broken engine plates and buckled TVP's..Maybe the Flux design is stronger then the nitro ? but the nitro is definitely not overly strong and has all sorts of gear mesh issues we just don't see on the race truggies...I can count thousands of pictures of nitro Savages with blown spur gears, even when hardened steel gears are used there is still issues... to me this says there is flex and movement causing mesh issues and subsequently gear issues....this si why I say the flat pans are more robust...we just don't have anywhere near the spur gear issues the Savages do..... IMO it would be easy to add extra bracing to a flat pan to eliminate the flex that is designed into the chassis, as all the racers do have some flex in them to help with traction......
Old 05-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

I tested as " home redesigned savage " : I built a tvp chassis with a center diff and went to jump and try out to land special jumps like I like to do : believe me or not, I think my chassis is bombproof
I also think the savage arms that I steel belted could take a good beating
the only big issue i had were the shocks : I quickly destroyed all the skinny stocks shocks
so the NERO might have the solution : cantilever design ! but they seems really soft...
Old 05-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

So I've done some reading of what I can find online.

Here is an opinion.

I think the nero is aimed at the new generation of screen watchers and keyboard punchers. They made it so you don't have to research or ask what weight oil to make it do this.
I still think it's neat but I like tinkering and stuff. But nowadays the cubicle people work long hours. No time to try stuff. Plus they wouldn't know a bearing from a gear unless they Google it. Much less backlash.
Will it sell. I think it will do very well. It's easy, charge and go. Just turn the knob till it does what you want.
What I don't like is that it makes it to easy. The posts I've read from members like overdriven , herrsavage, and ruudxd and cmbscx10 have been replaced by a knob.
They can't replace thinking and ingenuity with a knob.

I want to try a truggy.
I'd like 8ight t e.
Cause I want to build one.
But like trout said, 1k till done.
When I could get a kraton for 400 bucks.
Yep I'll get a kraton.
Can't see spending 800 bucks for knob and I like rebuildING and shimming diffs and changing oil weight.
So now I'll be waiting to read what is written about the nero by new owners. I'm sure most will be in awe. Rave reviews and all.
I'll still be tuning and learning my xxl2e.
It will make for interesting reading though.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 47yok
So I've done some reading of what I can find online.

Here is an opinion.

I think the nero is aimed at the new generation of screen watchers and keyboard punchers. They made it so you don't have to research or ask what weight oil to make it do this.
I still think it's neat but I like tinkering and stuff. But nowadays the cubicle people work long hours. No time to try stuff. Plus they wouldn't know a bearing from a gear unless they Google it. Much less backlash.
Will it sell. I think it will do very well. It's easy, charge and go. Just turn the knob till it does what you want.
What I don't like is that it makes it to easy. The posts I've read from members like overdriven , herrsavage, and ruudxd and cmbscx10 have been replaced by a knob.
They can't replace thinking and ingenuity with a knob.

I want to try a truggy.
I'd like 8ight t e.
Cause I want to build one.
But like trout said, 1k till done.
When I could get a kraton for 400 bucks.
Yep I'll get a kraton.
Can't see spending 800 bucks for knob and I like rebuildING and shimming diffs and changing oil weight.
So now I'll be waiting to read what is written about the nero by new owners. I'm sure most will be in awe. Rave reviews and all.
I'll still be tuning and learning my xxl2e.
It will make for interesting reading though.

I agree fully. I love working on the trucks. I set up on the dinner table and my 4 kids are all over the house and I'm in the middle working on truck and managing kids and mom is doing mom things, and it's great. I look forward to discussing the Kraton when it comes out.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Probably. Some people just don't like tuning and never bother wrenching things. They just like to bash hard and the pure joy from driving it. Only fix broken parts and do necessary maintenance. I think I'm one of them as a newb on 1/8 scale (I used to play/fix/tune/mod my mini-z 1/24 scale buggy for years). But I'm sure I will like to tune everything and learn from the RC car each time I drive/break/fix it.

I have to admit as a newb choosing a first 1/8 MT or 1/18 buggy, Nero is very charming to me. I am still confused whether I will want a HPI Vorza Flux (currently all out of stock) or the new shiny nero.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by trout74
I agree fully. I love working on the trucks. I set up on the dinner table and my 4 kids are all over the house and I'm in the middle working on truck and managing kids and mom is doing mom things, and it's great. I look forward to discussing the Kraton when it comes out.

I'm looking forward to hearing what your impression is of the kraton. Im not able to order one yet. Some other things have a priority right now. But I'm highly interested in your experience with it. When you get it. Include pics of mantinence please.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 47yok
I'm looking forward to hearing what your impression is of the kraton. Im not able to order one yet. Some other things have a priority right now. But I'm highly interested in your experience with it. When you get it. Include pics of mantinence please.
Will do
Old 05-26-2016, 09:15 PM
Tech Champion

I fail to comprehend how people love working on RC cars - especially once they're filthy(and you don't have a compressor...) OK, I enjoy building a kit. Every once a while I enjoy doing some necessary repairs and upkeep, and feeling like my car is all nice and clean and fixed up. But changing diff or shock oils over and over again? Replacing an LST2 steering servo? Replacing diff bearings? Messing with nitro clutches( using poisonous brake cleaner and on and on)? Blluugghhh.... Yuck. No thanks.. I honestly think most people into 8th scale racing do enjoy taking their cars apart and reassemmbling them over and over and over - constant, senseless wrenching basically - more than driving...
Old 05-27-2016, 02:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Video on the Nero.

Unboxing, bashing and asphalt run.

https://youtu.be/ixbY-kdX1F4

https://youtu.be/v7GnHo0gdf4

https://youtu.be/dOC4eJKxTI8
Old 05-27-2016, 02:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I enjoy wrenching on my RC8.2E Monster Truck conversion and my RC8T Monster Truck conversion as well as my DEX8T getting Kratonized. All 1/8 scale and super fun to run. My XMAXX runs like a champ.

I've placed my order for my Nero and can't wait to run it. And from the videos. It will be a blast.

For me, the Nero as the XMAXX are prime examples of what the new Monster Trucks are going to be like. It's a good day in the RC industry.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:21 AM
Tech Adept

I hope this increases the interest and sales of the monster truck market. Hopefully we'll see more new kits and innovation and manufacturers pay attention.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Looking forward to hearing when someone takes one of these racing, Its layout and what appears to be higher quality parts than what I recall from my E-Revo days in the Truggy class makes me wonder if this would be a servicable option if you wanting something that was a Jack of all trades type vehicle. Something with a tire swap you can do some reasonable club racing, then some rock crawling, etc.

Mind you, the rock crawling part would be the big thing as if not, then I would say just get a Talion / Kraton . A RTR truggy at that price after tower discounts (pre is $440 right now i think) thats pretty cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.