Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Exceed Madbeast and Upgrades Experience >

Exceed Madbeast and Upgrades Experience

Exceed Madbeast and Upgrades Experience

Old 05-13-2016, 08:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Exceed Madbeast and Upgrades Experience

This is my first post in any RC forum and on this forum, so go easy!

In this thread I'm sure you will see some rules I've broken in working on the RC and things done sub par. Nevertheless, I'm posting in the hopes of helping others! There seems to be a slight lacking in posts on upgrades for the Madbeast, so I'm hoping to contribute some good experiences.

The mods that I have done that have been the best improvements in my opinion are:
Solar D771 steering servo - This servo still won't turn the tires while on the ground, but works better than the stock one did.
Integy Aluminum clutch fingers - The set I bought was actually for a HPI Savage XL.... i didn't use the flywheel that come with it, just the fingers and springs. It grabs PERFECT.
Dynamite Big Red 0.28 - This motor is amazing! I had a hiccup at the begginging where the ratchet in the pull start wasnt engaging, but it was an easy fix. Runs great!

I'll add separate posts below to give a walk through of what I did for others who might be hesitant to try some of these modifications.

Now, the WHOLE story... feel free to skip to the next post from here... this is for entertainment value mostly.

The truck was pretty broken up when I bought (i got it off eBay for much much less than new). Not mentioning too much on what I paid for anything, the cost after replacing things was basically as much as new one! Given the upgrades, I'd say it worked out well.

The first thing i had to do was replace a bunch of parts in the broken up front suspension, bulkheads and a damaged shock. It had been rammed into something HARD!

After that I had it up and running ok, except for a missing front center dogbone (made the truck RWD only) and the stock clutch fingers were coming apart and would drag at very low RPMS, so the truck would not idle.

I decided to drive it anyway while an integy clutch set was on order. The truck was running well, but I think a low receiver battery got the best of it. The throttle stuck wide open and rolled the truck at low speed. As soon as it went over it reved up like crazy and the tires started ballooning and slipping off the rims (they had been glued pretty well... rpms must have been crazy high). It looked like a mess ready to burst into flames and shoot parts off the truck so I tried to nudge it over with my boot, but i couldnt get under it before it died.

Took the truck over to the work bench after picking up the tire it slung off and about 40 feet away.

The motor didn't have compression, so I pulled it to get a look inside. It was toast! Picture attached below. The piston was cracked with a hole through the top. The glow plug looks to have come apart and exited through the top of the piston. I couldn't find anywhere to buy a piston and sleeve, so I decided to upgrade and selected a big red 0.28.

The rest of the story is in the posts below.
Attached Thumbnails Exceed Madbeast and Upgrades Experience-20160513_213907.jpg   Exceed Madbeast and Upgrades Experience-20160508_202427.jpg  
Old 05-31-2016, 04:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Wow that's a serious blow out...I have one too for bashing and modified it to accept a Losi XXL2 shocks front and rear. I replace both front and rear shock towers with a home made aluminum ones. Also replace the upper links with MBX5T links and pivot balls..The result was a Monster from hell...Sharp turns, high jumps, and anything on its way gets run over with power forgiving 4.6 engine on it..The only thing that didn't holdout on my abuse is the brake calipers they explode under pressure..I'm in the process of turning it to electric version here soon to get rid of the calipers..