Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Castle X series ESC's >

Castle X series ESC's

Castle X series ESC's

Old 07-02-2016, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

The update says : Modified a protection feature to prevent power reduction during start in extreme setups.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Castle on RC-Monster:

Our engineers are working tirelessly to resolve the power issues that some customers are experiencing on the Mamba Monster X and Mamba XL X.

Today they be releasing a firmware update for the Mamba Monster X. It will be posted shortly and should get the power levels back to the range of its predecessors.

The start-up current limiter still exists so it cannot be used for drag racing. But on speed setups and standard 1/8th setups you should notice a significant power increase over the previous firmware versions.

The engineers will be focusing on the XL X in the coming weeks so please stay tuned. Thanks for your patience and continued support.

We hope everyone has a great 4th of July and many hours of RC fun this weekend!

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations
Yes, that's what I meant by "get the power levels back to the range of its predecessors.". Sorry about that, should have been a little more specific. But yes, it should perform equal to if not better than the Monster 2 in the same application.

Please let us know how it works for you. We will be monitoring this and other forums with regards to the update to see if it works as well as we hope.

Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...988#post430988
Old 07-09-2016, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/frh-mamba.html
1.77 firmware....

Download as fast as possible...it could be removed any time soon!! lol

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

-Seens according to this video of the same that brought this "Bug"....that they fixed the MMX issue of high voltage 6s power loss on speed runs!

Now we need the XLX one fix! And a MMP X (if possible smaller in size!) to!! :P
Old 07-13-2016, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Well, there is the 1.78 now for the XLX...

(problems are solved?)

Old 07-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

The new firmware definitely works. I just updated my xlx/leopard 5892 that im running in my x-maxx. There's definitely a huge difference in start up power. The xlx felt like it was running max punch control prior to the update.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Interesting to find this thread. Just got my MMX running and am experiencing this issue, with only a 1550kv truggy motor and 6s. Batteries are 50c (probably not actual but not too crappy either) and thought maybe the LVC was it, but batts were nowhere near dry

I saw the new update but was hesitant to install. i will do so now.

Hooray for forums
Old 07-31-2016, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Downloaded the 1.77, seems better

A couple times in the log I see "Motor start failure" - what does that mean?

Running a truggy 1550kv motor in a savage flux on 6s

Motor does get pretty hot after a 15 minute run
Old 08-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

"Motor Start Failure" means that the software was unable to detect rotor position using the preset maximum power while attempting to start the motor -- timeout is about 100ms (.1 seconds.)

It's more of a troubleshooting warning-- it lets you know that start power might be a little too low for the motor and gearing.

When the controller can't start the motor successfully, it will bump the power up to the next level automatically, so all you normally will see is a slight hesitation on start. But the failure will be logged to the datalog.

If the controller gets to maximum power and still cant start the motor, it will abort the start, pause, and then restart the startup routine.

If you see this warning often, it would be a good idea to check gear mesh (make sure there's no significant drag in the gearing...) check the gear ratio (the motor might not produce enough torque for the gearing selected) or bump up the start power using Castle Link.
Old 10-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Version 1.77 vs. 171firmware startup

Has anybody noticed a little rougher startup with firmware version 1.77 compared to 1.71 in sensored mode for a crawler? A little bit higher temps on esc and motor too. I'm running a MMX with sensored brushless Holmes Hobbies 3500kv Puller Pro w/ 64t spur and 9t pinion. Underdrive 43/13 diff gears front and rear as well
Old 11-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisakaBiff View Post
Has anybody noticed a little rougher startup with firmware version 1.77 compared to 1.71 in sensored mode for a crawler? A little bit higher temps on esc and motor too. I'm running a MMX with sensored brushless Holmes Hobbies 3500kv Puller Pro w/ 64t spur and 9t pinion. Underdrive 43/13 diff gears front and rear as well
I have an MMX in my Axial Bomber. It cogged horribly with my Tekin ROC412 3100kV motor so they sent me a replacement. It cogs horribly with both a Holmes Puller Pro 3500kV and a Tekin ROC412 3100kV motor. Castle is telling me to wait for new firmware for the fix.

Funny thing is that my cheap-o 35A HobbyKing ESC does not cog with these motors!!!