Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Castle X series ESC's >

Castle X series ESC's

Castle X series ESC's

Old 04-22-2016, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
It is a tough situation for Castle and us. When you buy the newest version you expect it to be better than the last version. I hope they resolve the issues soon, or release a better ESC for the speed run and large vehicle enthusiasts.
I hope so too but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Back before there was the XL or any 8s esc besides Schulze and MGM a guy brought an all aluminum HPI Baja into the lhs. Had a 22 series Neu in it running on 6s through a MMM and he was wondering why he smoked two of them. Both were replaced under warrantee btw. Yeah it's an extreme example of pushing an esc too hard but I still can't believe it even today.

There's really only one simple solution to this problem. Sell a dedicated, unrestricted esc that does not qualify for the warrantee program. Mold the case in a different color, etch the board with something to indicate it as well and let the user push it as hard as they dare. Now you don't have to worry about any hacking of a system to unrestrict the esc through Castle Link (you know there's those that would try just to get their esc repaired for free) and a bright red case lets everyone know what the esc is on the used market. The cost of changing the case color and etching the board should be pretty low and offset by the cost savings of less warrantee claims from misuse so the selling price should be about the same. The biggest cost to do this is likely the webpage for these unrestricted esc's and editing the firmware updates to accomodate being unrestricted. Obviously these would be low volume so probably only sold through Castle but it would keep everyone happy.

My opinion I think this is the way to go. The average user isn't going to try for 100+mph and will never see any fail safe kick in. The few that mess around trying to get there will hit the fail safe and start researching why or call Castle. It wouldn't hurt if there was some sort of indication by LED or in the logs that the fail safe was hit. When they hear about the fail safe most will probably be happy they didn't hurt anything. Those that are serious about going faster will then have to decide if they want to buy an unrestricted esc that they're responsible for not blowing up. If they are they'll go to Castle's website and find the page with the unrestricted MMX and XLX. Maybe do some sort of trade in program for those that don't want to be bothered selling their restricted esc to appease the ones that are complaining now and make it easier for those in the future.

Last edited by Overdriven; 04-23-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds like a plan to me....Now if Castle would pick up on that idea. It's really got to be a blow to the ego to drop $450 on a motor/esc combo and, your buddies Hobbyking combo for $113 blows your doors off
Old 04-23-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

It appears that Castle is working on a fix to this situation according to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgXrHO6Y--0#t=28
Old 04-23-2016, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mudbug85603
Sounds like a plan to me....Now if Castle would pick up on that idea. It's really got to be a blow to the ego to drop $450 on a motor/esc combo and, your buddies Hobbyking combo for $113 blows your doors off
Don't take this the wrong way or anything but lately you've been laying it on really thick with the Castle hate. Even Jang had to come in and commend Overkill for his level headed posts on URC with all the Castle bashing posts by you and others who aren't experiencing this issue let alone own a Castle product.
Edit: Are you targetingxmod on URC? Just now realized the different user names, I was just going by memory of the Castle hate and Hobbywing love when I made this post. If not I rescind my comment about URC but not about laying it on thick with the castle hate.

Aimed at no one in particular. In a perfect world Castle would've published that there's a fail safe. They also would've made the X series more capable and set the fail safe to a level equal to or greater than non X series esc's so nobody could complain. Maybe that is the case though and the handful of people complaining are experiencing a glitch that trips the fail safe sooner than intended. Nobody except Castle knows how much you can push the esc before the fail safe kicks in or the parameters the fail safe is looking for. Is it just amps, wattage, ripple, voltage drop? Is it a complex algorithm of two or more of these parameters? Does it look at upper limits or how fast the curve is rising to predict the draw and the prediction model is not as good as hoped? Maybe there was some variable not taken into account, one that needs tweaking or a coding error? Given a chance Castle has been known to correct issues, give them a chance to. Nobody is perfect, Hobbywing is on version 3 of the Max line and they've only been out since late last year right?

Last edited by Overdriven; 04-23-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:59 AM
Tech Addict

It's really got to be a blow to the ego to drop $450 on a motor/esc combo and, your buddies Hobbyking combo for $113 blows your doors off
Hahah, yes! We found Xmod's brother!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Edit: Are you targetingxmod on URC? Just now realized the different user names, I was just going by memory of the Castle hate and Hobbywing love when I made this post. If not I rescind my comment about URC but not about laying it on thick with the castle hate.
No I am not targetingxmod, and it's not that I hate Castle. I do own a few of their products. Yes, I do prefer Hobbywing esc's over Castle and most of my comments in other threads about Castle are simply that there are other products on the market as good as for a little less money, or that there are better than for big bucks. So by saying that does it really look like I hate Castle, when I use them to set the high bar? I see no Castle bashing in this thread except for what they brought on to themselves.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Dr_T said
Hahah, yes! We found Xmod's brother!
Yeah that was an attempt at humorous sarcasm.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Someone called?

Most ups to Castle in my book are:
-Software is rock solid compared to most Chinas and their LVC progaming is top since the China ones require low voltage or off to work fine, or at least to work like Castles work!!
-This is my experience that own both Castle Esc's and Chinas esc's!

One simple question...why Castle avoid saying what amp's the Mamba Max Pro have? Never saw that on website and or manuals. Secret for who? The customer? Well, at least say it's a 60amps esc....for god sake!

Other then that, still happy with the other Castle's i have!

Hope that Castle solve this imminent "X's" stress for the Speeder's and power hungry users soon, cause "Bobbywing" is selling 8s esc the same size as any Mamba Monster esc....that fits most or almost all 1/8s rc's!
"Bobbywing" is even more restricted into 6s & 8s... they cut full throttle after 2 or 2 seconds of wide open.... so why do handle 6s or 8s in the first place!

This is the video that the youtube user posted on youtube and i posted on a thread on another forum...
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And this is the second video of the same youtube user that Overkill posted on that thread on another forum started by me....
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

-Which maybe be and update firmware avaiable sooner! Hopping for the best.

Last edited by targetingxmod; 07-09-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:37 PM
Tech Adept

We will just have to wait and see what happens. Have you guys noticed the price increase of the XL2 over the last few days?
Old 04-24-2016, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
We will just have to wait and see what happens. Have you guys noticed the price increase of the XL2 over the last few days?
This is RC but still a business.

When no one buy's the product it goes into sale, take 3 for the price of 1. When there is huge demand it goes out of stock lightning fast and prices rise up. This is not only on RC stuff!
Old 04-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by targetingxmod
This is RC but still a business.

When no one buy's the product it goes into sale, take 3 for the price of 1. When there is huge demand it goes out of stock lightning fast and prices rise up. This is not only on RC stuff!
You will be lucky to even find a xl2. Once they're gone, they're gone.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Any update on this?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wrightcs77
Any update on this?
They made an update on the Mamba Monster X so far

Version 1.77 update on there website
Old 07-02-2016, 04:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default thanks

Originally Posted by Mp0wer
They made an update on the Mamba Monster X so far

Version 1.77 update on there website
Thanks for the update been watching the web site for this all week

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.