Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Looking to upgrade my tmax 3.3 #4909 >

Looking to upgrade my tmax 3.3 #4909

Looking to upgrade my tmax 3.3 #4909

Old 04-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking to upgrade my tmax 3.3 #4909

hey ya, I'm new here, and kinda new to the nitro trucks scene tho, i have had my truck for along time. So i thinks times have come to see about upgrades and such that can still be done to it being finding parts isnt easy and thought ya could help. First i have the t maxx model in the title, it may not be the best but hey i love it, so first its all stock, no upgrades *yet* but i do know it needs some tlc. It has the gray trans with the optidrive technology, i think thats a important fact for what i want. So i mostly want to beef up the suspension and put a bit bigger engine into it but i know the chassis can't handle it but I'm only looking to put a max of a .26-.28 maybe more then likely the .26 of os or lrp, but I'm not sure what ill need exactly to make it be able to handle that power, and or what suspension setup can make it put more power to the ground. i do wanna keep my reverse if all possible, i dont know if u can beef up the whole trans to be able to keep that and not strip it self out. I've ran about a gallon and a half through it so far and run it every day pretty much running a whole tank through it. So if ya can help, please give as much details as you can, and even help finding the parts ill need would be awsome!
Old 04-06-2016, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ok so you problem have a grey head on the engine,correct?this is a the standard engine and is a good starter.now it's not a good idea to just drop a big block in there cause you can.the drivetrain in this model is a good starting point,but add a lot more power and it will break daily.been there done that.I can type my fingers off telling you ways to upgrade this truck,at the end of it it will still be a 4909 t maxx.after years of owning one and so many updates...I will give you my best advise,leave it stock and get a Hpi savage x 4.6 rtr.the 4909 is a great starter but isn't designed to handle big block power.the newer model is a lot stronger but lacks reverse.if you want a BIG BLOCK MONSTER TRUCK Hpi savage is what you want.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Tech Rookie

see i wanna keep my tmaxx and do what it takes to be able to put a bigblock into it, what is the list of things ill need to do minimal for it to be able to handle the power?
Old 04-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Robinson racing trans gears.updated bulkhead to accommodate new diffs.mip center shafts.revo hub carriers and outer drive shafts.that's just to start,after a year or so of testing and tuning.you will have a wheely king.problem is it will lose its drivablity all together.even breath on the throttle and over she goes.and what started out as a fun rc is now a shelf queen.I had the same maxx truck for 7 years.trust me buddy the truck is a blast like it is.replace as needed with upgrades.if you want to feel what a .28 feels like in a monster truck,a savage will be saving yourself time and a monster truck headache.I wish I had someone tell me that years ago.I still can't wait to get home and fire my savage up,and I've had every rc nitro or electric or gas.the most fun I've had in years.and this truck is over a year old now.go to YouTube and type in Hpi savage see what happens.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Well what is the max hp engine would u put into my t maxx before it loses to much dravibility? and will extended chassis help?
Old 04-07-2016, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I don't know the various TMaxx model numbers but Traxxas says the 4909 is the short chassis 3.3 model. So it has the Revo style driveline like the newer 3.3 just not the extended chassis.

Now, .25-.28 engines are what's called big block engines which are longer than the small block Traxxas engine. This means you need a longer big block chassis to fit it. The extended chassis Traxxas puts on the newer 3.3 won't work as its extended up front and has no additional room for the engine, you need a big block chassis. There used to be lots of different options for big block chassis kits but they're all discontinued with the possible exception of RD Logics and FLM.

The other option is what's called a mid block. Basically a small block length engine with a bigger displacement. There used to be a Picco .26 and Sirio/RB .23 but I think all that's left are the OS .21 and Novarossi .21 engines.

As far as upgrades to the driveline. If you go with a big block figure on getting rid of all the plastic driveshafts and going with metal cvd's all around and in the center. The transmission and diffs kind of depends on how hard you are on it. I've had big blocks with the grey trans and it held up fine but I also wasn't as abusive to those trucks. At minimum the diffs will need aluminum outer cases and to be shimmed with metal shims instead of the Teflon washers. If you hurt them after that then a 1/8 diff conversion is in order. Robinson racing has metal gears to get rid of all the plastic ones but if you want reverse you have to keep some plastic gears.

The Maxx can be made to handle whatever you throw at it, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. It also takes some planning with some things. If you want to do 1/8 diffs you can do just the diff cases and run whatever bulkhead, or you can do FLM's hybrid bulks which are bulkheads with diff cases built in. The FLM hybrids are the best option in my opinion but if you already bought aluminum bulks the options for 1/8 diff cases are more limited and expensive. If you're really going to go big block there are options that don't require as much investment as the Maxx. Savage, Losi LST are trucks that are built to handle big block power and may be something to consider.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

well which would u go with losi or hpi, i dont think the hpi savage 5.9 xl 2.0 came out yet or has it? should i wait on that?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not up on RC news but there's been people posting that a Savage 2.0 is coming, but HPI isn't in the greatest shape financially and there's rumors Traxxas is going to buy HPI too, so who knows if it's going to happen and when.

I personally don't like the TVP design of the savage and think the LST handles better than the TMaxx and Savage. My opinion. Unfortunately there isn't a nitro LST available new right now, instead it's 2 stroke gas but in nitro engine size. Users haven't had the best luck with this engine (initial break in needle settings and broken connecting rods) but supposedly they have been sorted out and there's plenty of used nitro LST's out there in the original short chassis and XXL length. Pick up one of those, go through the fluids, drop in whatever big block you want and don't worry about the drivetrain because it'll handle it.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Tech Rookie

can you assist me in picking out parts if i was going to get the losi and helping me find a nice used one?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

There really isn't much that needs to be upgraded on a LST. The engine/chassis brace is a little brittle and can break if you're jumping high enough. But that's really it as far as "required" upgrades so not much to pick out parts wise.

As far as a truck itself. Stick to a LST2 or the later longer wheelbase XXL's and you'll be fine. LST2 and XXL's have stronger suspension arms and axles, plus they're easier to do 17mm wheel hex, 20mm is stock on them. Aftershock and the original LST have 14mm wheel hex and the arms aren't quite as tough as they should be. It's simple to upgrade to LST2 spec but you're better off just starting with LST2 if you can help it. But yeah we'll help
Old 04-08-2016, 05:10 AM
Tech Rookie

i thank ya, if you know anyone selling a lst2 or such or know a good way to make the frame hold up more let me know
Old 04-08-2016, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

well im thinking im going the losi route maybe inless i can find a decently priced hpi savage 5.9 or what ever but if i see a good price hpi i may go with that. is there a big difference in losi vs hpi in off road and bashing difference? like which one is faster and can take a good amount of hits compared to the other?