Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
New to me lst roller brushless converted >

New to me lst roller brushless converted

New to me lst roller brushless converted

Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Will the losi mt claws work with the maximizer or revolver wheels?
Old 04-11-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Shaft is 6mm, but if you have to buy shims you're getting close to the price of a pinion. Up to you which way you want to go.

I'm surprised the mount is flexing, maybe the screws attaching the vertical part to the base are not as tight as they should be or the chassis itself is flexing? Only potential issue is the mesh not being quite right if there's some flex. My homemade mount flexes a little and I've never had an issue with my plastic spur gear. If you want to support the motor I'd just stuff some thick/stiff foam under it or you could go further and make some sort of block. But that block's thickness will need to be tailored to the pinion used as the motor height will change depending on the pinion. Maybe a block with foam between it and the motor.
have the same issue right now after installing the xo-1 pinion.

so the 1717 is 6mm shaft?

and the xo-1 pinion is 6mm too?

i thought all mod 1 will fit all 5mm shaft
Old 04-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by serafin

I have the 1717 1680kv with a 5mm shaft. And it looks like as Overdriven had mentioned, the screws between the motor mount were loose causing the motor to flex. I noticed it on the 3rd pack as my mesh had changed enough from the loose screws.

I will also try the tranny gear swap mod as mentioned and ordered a 29t pinion from Kershaw.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I was talking about the gear flip mod which I've read requires a few shims. Buggybasher asked what size shims and they're 6mm inside diameter to fit on the shafts inside the trans. The 1717 and most 1/8 motors are 5mm shaft, although there used to be a helicopter version of the 1717 that was 6mm shaft (green can with flat spots in the fins, not many around) and there are a few other oddball motors out there with 6mm shaft.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Overdriven
I was talking about the gear flip mod which I've read requires a few shims. Buggybasher asked what size shims and they're 6mm inside diameter to fit on the shafts inside the trans. The 1717 and most 1/8 motors are 5mm shaft, although there used to be a helicopter version of the 1717 that was 6mm shaft (green can with flat spots in the fins, not many around) and there are a few other oddball motors out there with 6mm shaft.
I see ok, whew ! LOL

I thought thats why my mesh is weird now, it feels its tight on one side and loose on the other.. and the pinion came off today.. maybe my shaft inside the tranny is bent now.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:31 AM
Tech Elite

my mesh is weird now, it feels its tight on one side and loose on the other.. and the pinion came off today.. maybe my shaft inside the tranny is bent now.
Way more likely for the input shaft to be bent outside the trans somewhere. The input shaft steps down multiple times getting thinner and thinner as you know. Plus it's vulnerable to getting hit outside the trans. I've actually broken an input shaft on a nitro LST, don't ask me how it's a mystery.

Or it's your spur. Spurs aren't perfectly round, especially plastic ones. Either way I'd pop the spur/slipper off and see if the input shaft is bent if your mesh is varying that much.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

So I have on order is the red xxl 2 nitro chassis, center shafts. I picked up a 29t pinion from Kershaw. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have the 8mm axles F/R and some 17mm hex hubs. The seller of the truck also decided to ship a set of lst2 a arms and hubs. So I should have those soon. By the looks of it, this truck should pretty similar to the newer xxl 2 spec.

I have a question tho, with these trucks running a single speed hub as its called, is there no slipper clutch?

And also was wondering if the losi claw tires that I have now will fit another rim? I like the look of the maximizers and revolver rims which are 3.2 wheels and I didn't know what people had to say about them? I love running the trencher X on my emaxx and they are simple awsome, but its just a very heavy tire. I have ran the proline mahers too and didn't like those. Keep in mind they have been a 3.8 40series tire.

I wanted to add this too, if I get losb3528 which is the HD cup and extra support for the pins to make my diffs to the new HD spec would be all I need?

Last edited by BuGgYBaShEr.28; 04-20-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Yes you still have a slipper clutch with the single speed. See those white things peeking out behind the spur/single speed hub? Those are the slipper clutch plates, it's a multiplate basket setup like a motorcycle. Just don't over tighten it or you'll break the little plastic cage for the thrust bearing that's just under the adjuster nut.

The HD diff cup is the only thing different in a HD diff. So yes all you'd need is losb3528

Losi Claw tires are 3.2 and you can mount them on a 3.2 wheel. But the Losi 3.2 wheel is wider than the standard 3.2 Maxx wheel. The narrower 3.2 Maxx wheel with the Claw makes for a cool look with a big fat sidewall on the tire. But the Claw is a flexible tire and with the smaller wheel and bulging sidewall they're more flexible with less support. With the truck on the ground, you can move it left to right flexing the sidewall of the tires while the contact patch stays in the same spot. Makes for squirrelly handling (think, tank slappers) on the street at speed, you don't really notice it much in grass and dirt though. I know because I've done this combination before. I was tempted to stretch a set of claws over some 40 series wheels (it's possible I did it) to solve the problem but I wasn't crazy about how it looked.

Last edited by Overdriven; 04-21-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Awesome, thanks for your input. So how would the claws look and fit on the revolver wheel? Same as the maxx?
Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 PM
Tech Regular

Here is an update. I have purchased the xxl 2 red nitro chassis to add the length. I also have some new 8mm drive axles on the way too. I made another plate to place the esc and rx box on to make everything neat and not needing a harness extension. I think it came out great and just needs some paint if I get a chance. Added some black wire loom and a 29t pinion instead of the 27t. Soon I'll modify a gear cover for the spur.

It's not finished as I won't be using the old battery tray, I have the xxl 2 e tray on the way and see how it looks.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:42 PM
Tech Regular

Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

Old 05-09-2016, 11:12 AM
Tech Addict

Looks good!
Old 05-09-2016, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ruudxd
Looks good!
Thank you! I used a dremel last time and was to lazy to run to the store for more disks. Went with a hack saw and a file, came out nice.

I'm waiting on the xxl 2 e battery tray and I also have a arms, axles and soon a new body n wheelz
Old 05-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
Thank you! I used a dremel last time and was to lazy to run to the store for more disks. Went with a hack saw and a file, came out nice.

I'm waiting on the xxl 2 e battery tray and I also have a arms, axles and soon a new body n wheelz
dunnop what batteries you running, but here's what i did with the e lst tray
http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...ust-see-6.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.