Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
So torn. X-MAXX or XXL2-E >

So torn. X-MAXX or XXL2-E

So torn. X-MAXX or XXL2-E

Old 05-15-2016, 04:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NitroSport85
The shear size of the xmaxx is impressive. But I will say from the few I've seen I'm not really impressed with their performance when compared to 1/8 scale trucks. I'm talking wheelies, standing backflips, speed, and jumping ability. If these stay popular long enough hopefully the aftermarket will remedy by making parts that will be able to live with 1/5 scale electric power.
That's what I'm talking about. If I spend $800 on an Xmaxx, am I really gonna like it outta the box? That $800 can get me a top level 1/8 truggy kit and a nice speed control ESC combo. Everything you listed is what I like about my current 1/8 truggy. The only problem is that it's a Thunder Tiger and I don't like buying whole sections of a truck to get the one part I need. I'm also tired of the crappy spider gears that don't last very long in the diffs. The XMaxx would be cool since I have lots of ungroomed open space to run on where I live. Outta the box it looks slow. I like what I see when it's geared up for more speed but that stresses the stock ESC/motor which equals upgrade time. After that the drive train is questionable. I've seen plenty of damage to that on the net. Decisions, decisions, decisions lol!! To bad I don't have the money for both.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I upgraded the esc by choice. I knew I would want it faster and that esc seemed barely good enough for the stock setup. After selling the stocker, the BL6 only cost me like $60. I did try a mamba X first but it ran a little hot for my liking. Motor runs cooler with the new esc so I can gear up more than I am now, and the stock motor seems to have plenty of power to gear up more.

I still want an xxl2-e but I would never trade my x-maxx for one.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't think they are comparable. I own an XMAXX and an RC8.2E Monster Truck conversion and RC8T Monster Truck conversion. I absolutely love my 1/8 scale Monster Trucks but they in no way compare to my XMAXX. I can say this, "The XMAXX is simply on another level of RC experiences". Working on it is so simply. It's actually a joy to work on. After working on the XMAXX everything else seems outdated. Yes, it requires modifying out of the box. But I have experienced this with most of my rigs. I'm sure the Losi XXL Electric is awesome. I would consider the size as a factor. The XMAXX is a bundle of fun. But it also requires a nice play area to do so. The Losi may just be a more appropriate candidate for many play areas. Still if you have other rigs that can do that. I would strongly recommend the XMAXX. Only if you are patient and are willing to work on it to make it extraordinary. If not then Losi all the way.

Food for thought, consider the Arrma Kraton it is also a great rig to work on and it can take a beating.

My RC8T Monster Truck conversion using the XXL 2E body

My RC8.2E Monster Truck conversion.

My XMAXX.

Taking flight.

Last edited by RCWERKZ; 05-15-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

Great paint job on the x-maxx.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DreamState
Great paint job on the x-maxx.
Thank you Sir!
Old 05-20-2016, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

I love the paint on that xmaxx too. I would try to copy it but I suck at painting.

I would like more info on how you turned your 8.2e into a MT. I have on and don't use it now. I might use it more if it was a truck.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by NitroSport85
I love the paint on that xmaxx too. I would try to copy it but I suck at painting.

I would like more info on how you turned your 8.2e into a MT. I have on and don't use it now. I might use it more if it was a truck.

I have a build thread on URC. Not sure if I can post a link to it here. I'll make a build thread soon.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:40 AM
Tech Adept

I searched your name on URC and found your thread. Lots of good stuff there. I love your painting and right now I suck and I would really like to improve to atleast decent.

When you paint the fades like the bug or the raptor is there any special technique you use? How long do you let the paint dry between colors? Do you worry about to much overlap? Does he sequence of colors matter a lot?

Ive tried twice and I've gotten less then stellar results both times. I tried candy colors both times and the translucent paint screws me up and I always and up with light spots and runs. I think I'm going to stick to solid colors because I can paint them better but I'd love to do it with some flash like you do.

Last edited by NitroSport85; 05-21-2016 at 02:41 AM. Reason: sorry for all the questions :-(
Old 05-21-2016, 03:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DreamState
I have owned other Traxxas models and I agree, they feel more like toys. However I looked at an x-maxx and it's definitely not toyish like my e-revos and my daughters summit.

I understand the diff shimming, I mentioned that and that I would put fans on the x-maxx just to avoid people crying about them needing to be shimmed on a "rtr" or that the x-maxx runs hot.

I'll pass on the Arma.

The Arma is a very well made machine !!! it is based off the Durango race truggy so its not some cheap goofy knockoff brand.... its actually a high quality machine at a lower price then lesser quality competitors..definitely worth the look !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzf0WJPdOl4

Last edited by Maximo; 05-21-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:38 AM
Tech Champion

So what does this X-Maxx do so well the 1/8th truggies don't do ?

Last edited by Maximo; 05-21-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:55 AM
Tech Champion

Check these videos out !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h64BxLqcUsA

http://www.arrma-rc.com/tv/channel/kraton

Last edited by Maximo; 05-21-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Maximo
So what does this X-Maxx do so well the 1/8th truggies don't do ?

The Xmaxx jumps extremely well can go over terrain that the 1/8 scale MTs have a harder time. The shocks on the XMAXX are massive and soak up jumps and bumpy terrain like no other. Plus it handles well for it's size. Pretty easy to run. Check out RC Sparks YouTube channel and find the video where he runs the XMAXX and a Savage. It clear that the XMAXX is smoother in the areas where they were running them.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RCWERKZ
The Xmaxx jumps extremely well can go over terrain that the 1/8 scale MTs have a harder time. The shocks on the XMAXX are massive and soak up jumps and bumpy terrain like no other. Plus it handles well for it's size. Pretty easy to run. Check out RC Sparks YouTube channel and find the video where he runs the XMAXX and a Savage. It clear that the XMAXX is smoother in the areas where they were running them.
I could see it go over bigger rocks and obstacles... however based off the videos I am seeing its not that good at climbing or flying in the gravel pits compared to that Kraton..The Kraton is much faster and much more capable on the hills ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeddA5qPnPU
Old 05-22-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

the kraton has a good low COG. the Xmaxx is quiet high and will often roll over

that's why they added the self righting system !!
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
I could see it go over bigger rocks and obstacles... however based off the videos I am seeing its not that good at climbing or flying in the gravel pits compared to that Kraton..The Kraton is much faster and much more capable on the hills ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeddA5qPnPU
The ARRMA Kraton is phenomenal and that guy is amazing. I've never seen anyone jump, and control a jump like him. He is one talented driver. The Kraton is simply perfect. it's my next vehicle once it's re-released. I agree with you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.