Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
So torn. X-MAXX or XXL2-E >

So torn. X-MAXX or XXL2-E

So torn. X-MAXX or XXL2-E

Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 AM
Tech Rookie

I would say stay clear of a xmaxx till te aftermarket pics up. I've done a lot to mine but it is currently called the shelfmaxx by my friends and myself. Every time it's out it either eats up a spur gear, shears axles pins or cracks a wheel ever farther. It's a fun truck especially with different gears and a new esc but I can't remember the last time it made it completely through a set of charged batteries.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Update: I did end up with the x-maxx, and love it. Best rc I've owned. Added fans, 18t pinion, hobbywing max 6 esc and it's awesome. Can't wait until the good upgrades start Rollin out. Lots of runtime on it and only broke a steering rod.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I like the X-Maxx, but the model is too fast for it's durability. I would gear it down to it's durability limits to avoid breaking expensive parts.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

33mph it's too fast. The parts that have been common to break are usually result of bad landings.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM
Tech Regular

Traxxas=Plastic
Plastic=junk

So what did we learn?

Losi all the way
Old 05-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by RcGuy13
Traxxas=Plastic
Plastic=junk

So what did we learn?

Losi all the way
While in past yes the Traxxas use of plastic could be fustrating. But after 50 runs on my X. The plastic parts have yet to be an issue. Couple of diff ring gears, 2 axles.
Can't say anything about the new losi. Haven't seen one. And real good chance that, unless I buy one, I will never see one. From what I've read it sound good.
And while I've found a few that have disliked the X after owning one. Majority are really good with it.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:54 PM
Tech Regular

@Billy Kelly
Agreed. Some peeps like plastic, others don't. I perfer the alum/ steel components on certain cars, but on others, it better be plastic so it replaces easy.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

The title of this thread got me! I'm in a similar situation only I can't decide between the Xmaxx or building a Tekno Truggy with MT tires. Either one would cost me about the same so the money is a wash. The sheer size of the XMAXX is what's attracting me. I just bash on my property which is why I like MT's because of their ground clearance. I just have too many memories of my Tmaxx stripping diff gears once I upgraded the power in it. I don't like the talk of guys stripping gears in the Xmaxx with stock electronics. I just don't wanna end up headed down the road of, once you upgrade the speed control, diffs, and driveshafts it's an awesome truck!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Micah78
The title of this thread got me! I'm in a similar situation only I can't decide between the Xmaxx or building a Tekno Truggy with MT tires. Either one would cost me about the same so the money is a wash. The sheer size of the XMAXX is what's attracting me. I just bash on my property which is why I like MT's because of their ground clearance. I just have too many memories of my Tmaxx stripping diff gears once I upgraded the power in it. I don't like the talk of guys stripping gears in the Xmaxx with stock electronics. I just don't wanna end up headed down the road of, once you upgrade the speed control, diffs, and driveshafts it's an awesome truck!

Most of the stripped diffs seem to happen from bad landings or try to do speed runs. Here's what mine looked like.

https://youtu.be/UoPdsysBCrE
Old 05-13-2016, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've had almost completly aluminum redcat Mt and baja 5b. Looked nice and really awesome vehicles, but I'll take the x-maxx over them both.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DreamState
I've had almost completly aluminum redcat Mt and baja 5b. Looked nice and really awesome vehicles, but I'll take the x-maxx over them both.
Aluminum is awesome for certain parts, and when used correctly, or if your just making a shelf queen. But good plastic in the right areas is a positive. Plastic gives, and flexes and then bounces back. Yes some plastic breaks, but if your jumping over a house plastic will break, and aluminum will bend, can't stop either. But plastic is cheap to fix. I'm impressed I haven't seen and XMaxx shock tower breaks yet, thought that might be a problem, but it hasn't been.

Dream state, did you upgrade the ESC due to failure, or just cause you wanted to? I ask, because I've been carefully monitoring the interwebs since Traxxas added the fusible link, and to my knowledge I haven't heard of any ESC's that came from the factory with the fusible link going up in smoke on 6s. Users that added the link to theirs that didn't come from the factory with one may have an issue, but not installed from the factory. It's my hypothesis that they made and internal change to the new ESC's, wish I knew what they did, but happy they did it, if they did.

Thanks,
Trout
Old 05-14-2016, 08:16 AM
Tech Prophet

Trout. If I remember right he swaped ESC by choice. Right after getting the truck.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

I've run the SMC 9000mah 11.1 packs around 30 times so far thru my
xmaxx that came with factory installed fuse-able link esc ,So far no problems ,
Did install the Hot racing fan over the motor , only problem I have is that I can't get the gps module to show the speed on the android app , It's led shows green so its connected , I've reinstalled app but still no luck getting it to work .
Still waiting on my tbone racing bumper and wheelie bar
One thing I've noticed is that it wheelies more when tsm is set to 20% as compared to being off , when its on I can wheelie on demand , figured it would be the opposite
Old 05-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by strykerakamack
I've run the SMC 9000mah 11.1 packs around 30 times so far thru my
xmaxx that came with factory installed fuse-able link esc ,So far no problems ,
Did install the Hot racing fan over the motor , only problem I have is that I can't get the gps module to show the speed on the android app , It's led shows green so its connected , I've reinstalled app but still no luck getting it to work .
Still waiting on my tbone racing bumper and wheelie bar
One thing I've noticed is that it wheelies more when tsm is set to 20% as compared to being off , when its on I can wheelie on demand , figured it would be the opposite
Great to hear. I'm really positive on the updated ESC's. Let us know if you have any issues.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Tech Adept

The shear size of the xmaxx is impressive. But I will say from the few I've seen I'm not really impressed with their performance when compared to 1/8 scale trucks. I'm talking wheelies, standing backflips, speed, and jumping ability. If these stay popular long enough hopefully the aftermarket will remedy by making parts that will be able to live with 1/5 scale electric power.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.