Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Best brushless monster truck for @ $700 >

Best brushless monster truck for @ $700

Best brushless monster truck for @ $700

Old 01-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DeathWish9 View Post
Good to know. Why does Traxxas opt for the plastic driveshafts ? I don't get it.

And that Yeti does look pretty cool. I've never heard of Axial before.
Axial build some tough vehicles most of which need little upgrades to be durable. Many stock and aftermarket parts available from many sources.
Here's a place to read up on actual user comments, questions and answers http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/
Traxxas uses plastic IMO because it's cheap to manufacture and they hope that the consumer will return to them for replacement parts.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

I don't know it either, it isn't better then CVD's, but Traxxas keeps doing it, except on the new X-Maxx..
My guess is they want the money they get for the CVD's they sell seperate..

Axial is a pretty well known brand, but mostly in the scaling world.
From what I have heard the Yeti is a pretty good car, but with a lot of torque twist, and not so good on the street.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
Axial build some tough vehicles most of which need little upgrades to be durable. Many stock and aftermarket parts available from many sources.
Here's a place to read up on actual user comments, questions and answers http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-yeti-xl/
Traxxas uses plastic IMO because it's cheap to manufacture and they hope that the consumer will return to them for replacement parts.
I think you're right about Traxxas. They prob make a lot more money in upgraded replacement parts than with just vehicles. I'm not all-of-a-sudden "anti-Traxxas". Clearly they have a superb business model (no pun intended) because they are practically dominating the market. But after doing just a few days worth of research and especially talking with you guys here , I have concluded that (for me) I'd rather spend the same amount of money (or less in many situations) on a rig that is stronger and much better equipped right out of the box. But to each his own.

I'm favoring the LST XXL2-E and Savage Flux right now. They both seem strong and fast and come from reputable manufacturers.

I'm in the process of reading about the Colossus. Not sure I like those tall pegs sticking way up though.

And thanks to everyone for giving me such sage advice. This is a great place to learn from people who have real world experience. I'm glad I joined the forums.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

CEN really still exists?
Old 01-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

$575 ? How did that happen ? Do you have to be a special member of some secret club ? If so , I want in.
They had a promotion of $20 off all Losi vehicles and another 10% off for the holidays. I just checked and looks like they both expired.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ahmed_a View Post
They had a promotion of $20 off all Losi vehicles and another 10% off for the holidays. I just checked and looks like they both expired.
Damn you !!!

After checking out some YT vids I can see why people have been recommending truggies. That lower center of gravity really makes a difference in handling. So now I'm looking at a bunch of truggies.

Another question in relation to all this : is Tower the best place to buy ? They seem to be cheaper because of those discount codes. Are those just temporary that can expire anytime ?

Anyway , I shall continue my RC investigation of trucks and truggies.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Damn you !!!

After checking out some YT vids I can see why people have been recommending truggies. That lower center of gravity really makes a difference in handling. So now I'm looking at a bunch of truggies.

Another question in relation to all this : is Tower the best place to buy ? They seem to be cheaper because of those discount codes. Are those just temporary that can expire anytime ?

Anyway , I shall continue my RC investigation of trucks and truggies.
\

I got it from Horizon Hobbies, I don't think tower sell Losi Products. They always come out with some promotions and they have one of the best customer service in the hobby.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
CEN really still exists?
Haha I take it that they're an older company ?
Old 01-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would try the team associated rival. It seems like a good truck for $529. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...e0_RoCYCLw_wcB
Old 01-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by traxxas 4x4 View Post
I would try the team associated rival. It seems like a good truck for $529. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...e0_RoCYCLw_wcB
I've been looking at that one a bit. I've read that it's a little under powered. But for me it still looks decent. I need to find a thread that specifically discusses the Rival so I can detailed info. Associated's rep seems to be very good.

I also like the MT4-G3. Just saw a good review and found it in stock.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I like just about everything about the Rival, but the stock electronics are definitely under-powered. It only took a couple of outings before I just couldn't take it anymore and I replaced them. It was actually my favorite truck in my collection up until I got the XXL2-E.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Buy a used Truggy race kit, convert to electric...most durability and capability,,,,super nimble and flies like a bird

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I m new to brushless myself.
I have an LST XXL 2 E and I love it.
If you are new to RC all together though, I would recommend a Savage:
It's very durable
it's very simple
It has so many easy to install upgrades / bodies / wheels / conversion kits to 1/5th etc etc you will never get bored with it.
It also a true monster truck with the TVP construction and a lot less "sophisticated" than the LST.
Now don't get me wrong the LST XXL 2 E is a killer 6S machine out of the box and RTR for 659 street price pretty much. I wouldn t recommend 6S though to start:
They are tough on your truck
The speed and torque can be hard to control.

With LST or Savage you can t really go wrong. I wouldn t recommend anything else for a great "out of the box" experience in 1/8th scale.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

The MT4-G3 seems to have a loyal following. So does the Savage. I also looked up the OFNA Hyper SSTe but it's discontinued. Too bad because it's a beautiful looking truck. There's still the buggy version Hyper SSe I guess.

That red anodized aluminum on the LST XXL2-E is super sexy. Out of all the trucks and truggies Ive looked at , I can't say that there is not one clear winner. They all have pros and cons so I'm just going to get whatever tickles my fancy the most. The one thing that is a "must" for me is the steel axles. And like someone mentioned earlier , just about every 1/8 scale rig has them stock except for Traxxas. So that eliminates the Emaxx , Erevo and Stampede from my list. I also like the looks of the Losi's radio.

Last edited by DeathWish9; 01-03-2016 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Tech Master

Honestly if I was in your shoes I would go with the Arrma Kraton. They're durable, have easy access diffs, 6S capable out of the box, and a 2 year warranty. It's also the best bang for the buck with the Tower Hobbies coupon code, you can get it for $425 shipped.

It's a RTR 1/8 truggy with monster truck tires. You can spend the rest of your money on batteries, tires, etc..

Resources
http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/late...lx/story-board
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199862

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service