Wiki Posts
Search

Best brushless monster truck for @ $700

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
OK, found the Flux for €800.. Still, Kraton for €380. Shipped..

No wonder HPI distributors are going out of business.. That US price at Tower is far more reasonable, in relation to others anyway..

What's the verdict on a Flux these days anyway? Bullet-proof out of the box, or does it need upgrades?
Seen a lot of owners recommend going to the center diff conversion. Haven't seen a new one in couple years. Local hobby store hasn't sold one in 3 years. I know a number of people are waiting to hear what price is going to be on the new XL Flux. Only took 2 years to get announced that it will be released. Now just waiting on Hpi.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I feel like there's been this long conversation about the Savage for a solid 2 years ever since the XXL2 announcement. There's a lot of opinions about the truck, mostly good, some bad. Certain parts of the truck are not easy to get to on the Flux version, while other parts are easy. It doesn't need upgrades, but it would be nice if HPI would update the truck and just make the XL Flux already. I have a good feeling HPI is scared because of their Octane XL sales or maybe they just dont see a large enough market for us MT people. Everybody wants electric buggies and truggies.

Does it need upgrades? No, but owners tend to because of the large aftermarket support. I can't think of a different MT truck besides the Maxx that has the amount of parts.

If I were to change some things about the truck, I would want the option for 2 servos. I think the wheel hexes are terrible and they should just ship the 17mm hexes traditionally from the factory. Adjustable upper arms. Please keep the roll bar and perhaps improve the design to reduce body damage. Beefier, wider bumper bars.

Practically impossible, but a center diff savage flux would make it simpler and better. Though biased, I notice a lot of savage people here buy the Alza center diff which is costly. A better bellcrank design and steering geometry/adjustability would vastly improve the truck's performance. Bigger shocks and a better way to mount them and protect them...

A larger truggy with vertical tvp's, more ground clearance, and beefier everything to accomodate the size is basically what I'm describing.

Last edited by RepEvox; 02-20-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Someone mentioned earlier that brands like Losi and HPI have higher price tags for their vehicles because they are established brands but companies like Arrma are of equal quality despite being hundreds less.

Is this the general consensus ?
Old 02-20-2016, 04:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeathWish9
Someone mentioned earlier that brands like Losi and HPI have higher price tags for their vehicles because they are established brands but companies like Arrma are of equal quality despite being hundreds less.

Is this the general consensus ?
Pretty much. People will debate little details on each rig that need attention. None of them are perfect. For the money, there's no clear, glaring, good reason to buy the more expensive RTR's.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
OK, found the Flux for €800.. Still, Kraton for €380. Shipped..

No wonder HPI distributors are going out of business.. That US price at Tower is far more reasonable, in relation to others anyway..

What's the verdict on a Flux these days anyway? Bullet-proof out of the box, or does it need upgrades?
Yes Prices seem much more reasonable here in the US, but like mentioned above the E-Revo brushless is hard to find a deal on, but that's OK because it's one of my least favorite MT's anyways.

Flux needs minor upgrades out of the box, mainly rear carriers and adjustable upper control arms. I am not a big fan of the floppy tires for performance, either.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys.. was searching for reviews on different short course trucks when i landed on this page.. great info shared and i simply loved reading from the start.. being in the same shoes of OP, i too was lurking around and trying to find out what my first car/truck would be. Just wanted to know what was the final decision? what did u end up getting or are you still waiting?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default What did you get?

I want to know to.
24 pages of this than that.
C-mon. Just buy the xxl2e.
I did. It's a great teacher. Doesn't get any better for a mt.
My xxl2e has been awesome.
Parts readily available, easy to fix- easy to learn about rc.
Soooo what did you get?
Old 05-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Default What's next for me?

This seems as good a thread as any to ask.
Had my xxl2e for 6 weeks now. I know I want a Truggy next.
Which one?
Losi 8ight t e 3.0.
Or.
Tekno et 48.
I'm really impressed with losi.
I can probably build it.
Run it on 4s. Maybe more.
Overkill has really peaked my interest with his tekno.
Could you do what he did with 8ight t e 3.0. ?
Old 05-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 47yok
Which one?
Losi 8ight t e 3.0.
Or.
Tekno et 48.
I can probably build it.
I'm in The same boat. Had my mind set on a Kraton. Good quality, and cheap. Then it's getting updated, so I'm waiting. I had a 8ight Te 2.0, but used it as a truggy, wasn't into the monster thing back then. Wish I would have kept it. I love that platform. If I don't buy the Kraton, I would personally buy a losi 8ight 3.0, only because I know the platform and have a few parts laying around. That being said, I have nothing against the Tekno, and from what I've read, it's one of the best and probably the toughest there is. But all top level truggies are tough.heck my rc8 ( original) is pretty old but still bomb proof. I don't run it much, nitro is a hassle for me, but it never breaks.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 47yok
Which one?
Losi 8ight t e 3.0.
Or.
Tekno et 48.
I can probably build it.
ET48 hands down.

I bash the hell out of it. And I race it too. I've had it for 2 years now. ONLY replaced a shock tower that I broke after a VERY bad wreck! Crashed at about 70kmph. Can you imagine, I ONLY broken a shock tower. The plastics are just immortal haha.

Super durable truggy. And handles incredibly well. So planted and solid. 2 years of bashing and still everything feels new. Feels solid.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Mt4g3 for the win!!!

Best hands down imo