Like Tree49Likes

Traxxas X-Maxx

Old 01-30-2017, 04:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is the run that broke the new 8s ring gear.

https://youtu.be/Zvv8ZZILPGg
Old 01-30-2017, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

Traxxas has lost their ball with some of the parts. Why cant they just make gears in high quality steel like other manufacturers? Even chinese brands like hobao and cen seem to make higher quality driveline components.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by FunnieKid View Post
Traxxas has lost their ball with some of the parts. Why cant they just make gears in high quality steel like other manufacturers? Even chinese brands like hobao and cen seem to make higher quality driveline components.
I completely agree!

Interesting. I called Traxxas before I bought the kit and asked. Are these gears stronger than the HD gears. Their response was, "they are of the same if not stronger material than the HD gears.

Well that is not the case.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Why can't Traxxas make their ring and pinions out of CNC high quality hardened steel? This is supposed to be their flagship model. I just can't respect a company that continues to use weak materials for years and years.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
Why can't Traxxas make their ring and pinions out of CNC high quality hardened steel? This is supposed to be their flagship model. I just can't respect a company that continues to use weak materials for years and years.
Accordingly to the Rep I just spoke to at Traxxas. These are supposed to be 40% stronger than the HD Spiral Cut gears.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I am surprised the gears went so fast. I'm not surprised they can't handle the traction loads of pavement. The trucks hook up so hard, can you imagine the pressure those parts are under? I bet the plastic gearbox case is flexing some and allowing the pinion to slide over the ring gear and eat teeth.

I'm liking the slipper idea better for protecting gears and the center diff is also a key player. Did you have the center diff installed as well? Just asking so we know the whole kit was installed or not.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
I am surprised the gears went so fast. I'm not surprised they can't handle the traction loads of pavement. The trucks hook up so hard, can you imagine the pressure those parts are under? I bet the plastic gearbox case is flexing some and allowing the pinion to slide over the ring gear and eat teeth.

I'm liking the slipper idea better for protecting gears and the center diff is also a key player. Did you have the center diff installed as well? Just asking so we know the whole kit was installed or not.
Yes the center diff was installed. I also have an aluminum diff housing.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Now we know why the nero and big rock has a 1/5 scale diff in a 1/8 scale truck. Traxxas has always had undersized components. They are making the same issues with the x-mass as they made with the e-maxx. Both truck are NOT 6s and 8s ready what so ever. I have the e-maxx and I see what issues people are having, they have the same with x-maxx. Driveshafts breaking, drivecups breaking, diff gears chip off. I am not suprized if there will be hybrid bulkheads for the x-maxx in the future with HPI baja diffs or something like that.

X-maxx is basicaly a 1/5 truck with 1/8 size components just like the e-maxx is a 1/8 scale truck with 1/10 size components.

Making the x-maxx "power up" rated for 8s is missleading because these parts cant handle 8s. In reality the 8s powerup is only good for running 6s with no ESC issues, stripped diffs or broken drive cups.

There are new times, people want to be able to do the shit with their traxxas as they can do with arrma, hobao, tekno, etc. By the time you finish upgrade your traxxas, it is not even traxxas anymore.

I looked with enthusiasim on the x-mass thinking it would fix some of the issues that plauged the e-revo and e-maxx but it seem the issues are the same, if not worse. No wonder it has dropped in price lately and the x-mass 8s will be 200 quid cheaper than the mrsp of the 1st gen x-maxx.

Traxxas use inferior material on pretty much all components other than the hex screws. Even their pinions are made out of some yellowish metall alloy, I had my pinion crack for no apparent reason. Their gears are definaltey not through hardened carbon steel, they are some alloy of zink, aluminium, steel and copper. The reason the new gears are 40% stronger than the spiral cut gears is probably due to design rather than the material.

An easy way to check if the new gears are harder or stronger is to measure the surface with a "diamond checker". I am not suprised if the new gears are made out of softer material than the old ones, to prevent chipping, but some how that didnt work either due to case flex, which grinded down the teeth on the ring slightly.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCWERKZ View Post
Yes the center diff was installed. I also have an aluminum diff housing.
who made the aluminum diff housing? If it is not fitted properly or is too tight, its possible that the diff housing caused the issue. I'm just thinking out loud to come to a reason for the breakage. your pinion was all good in the video, so I'm thinking the aluminum diff housing is the culprit.
Trout
Old 01-31-2017, 12:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by trout74 View Post
who made the aluminum diff housing? If it is not fitted properly or is too tight, its possible that the diff housing caused the issue. I'm just thinking out loud to come to a reason for the breakage. your pinion was all good in the video, so I'm thinking the aluminum diff housing is the culprit.
Trout
I would love to agree and call it a day and move on. The housing is perfect. Mind you I have been using this housing with my Spiral Cut gears doing way crazier things than a simple run like in the video. Zero issues. Plus it's not the bulkhead because it is new and came with the kit.

Also, after talking to Traxxas they made it a point that the plastic housing is an issue. I have and still believe the aluminum housing is a must on all XMAXX's. But I have faith that things will get resolved.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCWERKZ View Post
Here is the run that broke the new 8s ring gear.

https://youtu.be/Zvv8ZZILPGg
You're not using the stock motor. If it has more torque than the stock motor I wouldn't be so quick to blame Traxxas.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
You're not using the stock motor. If it has more torque than the stock motor I wouldn't be so quick to blame Traxxas.
I could be incorrect but I believe RCWERKZ is using the same kV motor that is in the 8S XMaxx. It's not a 8S upgrade for 6S power plants only or at least I wouldn't think so.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
I could be incorrect but I believe RCWERKZ is using the same kV motor that is in the 8S XMaxx. It's not a 8S upgrade for 6S power plants only or at least I wouldn't think so.
I read some of his other posts and saw that the standard HD gears hadn't failed after a long time so there could be something up with the new gears.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bmr4life View Post
I read some of his other posts and saw that the standard HD gears hadn't failed after a long time so there could be something up with the new gears.

Correct my HD gears are in immaculate condition on this same setup. All I did was swap to the new gears, center diff, cush drive and new bulkhead.

Other's are reverting back to the HD gears instead of the provided kit gears and leaving in the slipper.

At least we have a few options.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

So my plan was to buy an 8s. I guess worst case is to just swap in the HD if the standard fails.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.