Like Tree49Likes

Traxxas X-Maxx

Old 10-30-2015, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Anyone else notice the wheels have a larger inner diameter like SCT wheels? That's new and kind of limiting unless you go for 1/5 24mm hex wheels. Speaking of hex, the plastic hex looks like it slides right off the axle/hex adapter, so an aluminum upgrade should be simple and inexpensive.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

This is big!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Tech Initiate

I wonder how it would stand up to an 8S system?
Old 10-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fitzxx View Post
I wonder how it would stand up to an 8S system?
See the pics?? Probably cant fit a system capable of 8s in it.. Hate the 35mph top speed to... I dont need a speed demon but 45 would be nice..
Old 10-30-2015, 03:08 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm not sure how you would make it fit either, but I'm sure someone will figure it out. Should be interesting to see how people modify this once it hits the stores.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

-Strange motor mount
-Shitty servo with strange way of mounting that no servo-companies uses
-Only 6s on a truck almost twice the weight of an e-maxx
-splined 24mm hex that no wheel maker uses

+big
+shocks and towers seem sturdy
+driveline also
+probably could fit 5000mah 4s lipos in the battery trays

Not sure what to think?? At least it will need 7/8s to "wake up" so to say...
Old 10-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 291 (100%+)

very interested in this.

i did a savage 1/5 conversion before and really liked how it felt on 4S with a Castle 1520 1600Kv motor. good speed but perfect rumbling action. ESC was a MMM V3 and it had no issues handling what i put it through. Those shocks could appeal to savage conversion guys.

On the traxxas if I found it necessary, would maybe just do the Castle Xl-X when that is released.

Probably the only thing other than the plastic hexes and servo (is that a plastic output gear??) I would be curious about would be what appears to be the plastic motor mount brackets. Not sure about that.

oh, and no OBA? lol I wouldn't have minded that.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wiklund View Post
-Strange motor mount

+big
+shocks and towers seem sturdy
+driveline also
+probably could fit 5000mah 4s lipos in the battery trays

Don't forget there plastic hexes at that...What where they thinking??
Old 10-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chadj1980 View Post
Don't forget there plastic hexes at that...What where they thinking??
They were thinking about the extra $60 extra they can make from owners who find aluminum necessary. Its a business model that Traxxas has been working on for years. It allows affordable RC, and extra money down the road for them.

On the flip side, they could use top of the line parts and this truck would cost $1,500+. No one would buy it.

They need to find a happy medium. Its one of the reasons I have strayed away from Traxxas and have been happy with Proline and TLR.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

That's badazz!! I've gotta have one! But $800?! Gonna have to figure out how to hide this purchase from the wife!
Old 10-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Took the chance off pictures and video. Put deposit down tonight at hobby store. At least they gave 6weeks to come up with the cash. Could be getting its first run with snow on the ground.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:07 PM
Tech Initiate

The only thing I can say about this truck is......................................I will own one!!!!
Old 10-30-2015, 08:18 PM
Tech Adept

The bigger they are, the harder they fall!
I would still prefer my E-maxx builds.
It looks like they built this X-Maxx to the point that its unique to Traxxas. And only stock traxxas parts will fit. I'm sure many people with buy 1, but not for me.
I don't like the name ether. It should have a totally different name, without the word "Maxx" Because its nothing like a Maxx.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wiklund View Post
-Strange motor mount

The motor mount is different looking. But the only thing limiting putting another motor in there is the space available. That and possibly the mounting screws being 4mm as the motor seems to be Castle 1717 based which uses 4mm screws with the standard 25mm bolt pattern.

Crappy servo design yes. The specs aren't all that bad though and with a external bec could be better. Yeah spending more $ on it though.

6s for 21lbs doesn't sound ideal but you'd be surprised what it can do. I've seen builds around 20lbs with a Castle 1717 and the owners were quite happy with them geared for under 50mph. Those builds didn't have the motor sunk down in the chassis though (restricting airflow hence heatsink) and we don't know for sure how similar this Traxxas motor is to the Castle yet. The Castle 1717 is capable of running on 8s for a bunch more power assuming the gearing options are available as well. Honestly I'd just find a way to mount a 8s esc and use the stock motor if 8s is really the goal. A better heatsink with a fan could allow higher speed gearing but we'd need to see exactly what we're dealing with too.

The 24mm hex can accept splined wheels, but they can also accept regular 24mm hex wheels. 1/5 scale 24mm hex wheels from the Baja should fit over the suspension although they're probably heavier than the stock wheels.

Not trying to disprove any of what you've said, just discussing and providing my opinion on it. There's a lot we don't know yet too, when I get a chance I'll be taking a look at the exploded views if they're available to learn more.

Last edited by Overdriven; 10-30-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ausprime View Post
I don't like the name ether. It should have a totally different name, without the word "Maxx" Because its nothing like a Maxx.
I agree with you on that one. Besides both being a monster truck they have nothing in common. In my mind there's only one true Maxx! Lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.