Like Tree49Likes

Traxxas X-Maxx

Old 11-19-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Regular

What those picture don't show is how the motor attaches to the mount. One 4mm screw on either end then two big pegs on either end of the mount and two holes to match on the motor. It will take a completely redesigned motor mount to put anything but the Traxxas 4885 1600Kv motor in there
Old 11-19-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
It would be nice if a monster motor like that would fit in the X Maxx. Guess we'll have to wait and see if that thing will allow 25mm more in length and 10mm more in diameter.
First there will need to be a proper motor mount made. Come on FLM, RCM and a few others you have your work cut out.
Interested in picking up a X Maxx but first there needs to be real world testing and quality aftermarket parts available. If this thing ends up like the E Maxx did, then in no way will I drop a dime on the X Maxx. Have thousands invested in my two E Maxx's already. Don't want to have to rob a bank to build an X Maxx.
I'm just speculating, but a big E-MAXX is exactly what I would expect, ESPECIALLY if you want to go running 8S in it.. It's already clear that the truck is mostly plastic.. (and still weighs 10kg..) People will probably want to shout me down as a hater or whatever, but I mean, if you're already asking for FLM and co. to come out with all the upgrades, and are dreaming of 8S, you're talking lots of mods and lots of money. I.e. typical Traxxas..
Old 11-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Is the motor mounted to the mount with just one screw?
Old 11-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Herrsavage View Post
I'm just speculating, but a big E-MAXX is exactly what I would expect, ESPECIALLY if you want to go running 8S in it.. It's already clear that the truck is mostly plastic.. (and still weighs 10kg..) People will probably want to shout me down as a hater or whatever, but I mean, if you're already asking for FLM and co. to come out with all the upgrades, and are dreaming of 8S, you're talking lots of mods and lots of money. I.e. typical Traxxas..
probably spot on with this analysis. I'm dreaming, yes. I just think a truck of this scale on 8s would be a ridiculous amount of fun. But it will definitely come at a pretty steep cost.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ruudxd View Post
Is the motor mounted to the mount with just one screw?
One screw on each end and two pegs on each end. Look at the above pictures of the motor mount One Screw is shown. Now look at the picture of the motor, one smaller hole for screw and two bigger holes for pegs. In order to run any other kind of motor either completely different motor mount or swap end bells (if that's even possible) with something the same diameter.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

One screw on each end and two pegs on each end. Look at the above pictures of the motor mount One Screw is shown. Now look at the picture of the motor, one smaller hole for screw and two bigger holes for pegs. In order to run any other kind of motor either completely different motor mount or swap end bells (if that's even possible) with something the same diameter.
Good eye, I missed that when studying the pics. The smaller hole appears to be 3mm and the larger ones appear to be 4mm. If the 4mm aren't threaded that really throws a wrench into the works for anyone looking to part these trucks out as the motor couldn't be bolted into anything else without threading those holes first. Then again the fact you'd at least need an aftermarket motor mount to put any other motor into this truck doesn't make buying a roller very attractive for novices.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
Good eye, I missed that when studying the pics. The smaller hole appears to be 3mm and the larger ones appear to be 4mm. If the 4mm aren't threaded that really throws a wrench into the works for anyone looking to part these trucks out as the motor couldn't be bolted into anything else without threading those holes first. Then again the fact you'd at least need an aftermarket motor mount to put any other motor into this truck doesn't make buying a roller very attractive for novices.
I haven't held one of these in my hands. Pretty sure the larger holes wouldn't be threaded otherwise it would eat the pegs on the motor mount.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:50 PM
Tech Champion

Unique motor mount preventing the use of other motors.. Hmmm, maybe (being Traxxas..), they'll release their own 8S capable upgrade motor... Ha.. At a price, of course..
Old 11-23-2015, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

I haven't held one of these in my hands. Pretty sure the larger holes wouldn't be threaded otherwise it would eat the pegs on the motor mount.
I thought the same thing, but who knows at this point. Either way this truck doesn't look like something that'll be very attractive to part out, especially if those larger holes in the motor aren't threaded. Could've been done on purpose, I'm sure Traxxas doesn't like seeing all those XO-1 rollers and bare chassis going for peanuts after all the good stuff has been stripped off of them.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Why would Traxxas care about their vehicles being parted out on EBay? Whether it's an XO1 or a Revo, they were bought at an agreed upon price from Traxxas at some point. After Traxxas makes their money, I would think they could care less whether you burn em in a bonfire or part them out on EBay.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
Why would Traxxas care about their vehicles being parted out on EBay? Whether it's an XO1 or a Revo, they were bought at an agreed upon price from Traxxas at some point. After Traxxas makes their money, I would think they could care less whether you burn em in a bonfire or part them out on EBay.
Answer to that my friend is simple......GREED! If anyone can buy parts cheaper than what Traxxas is selling them for, Traxxas looses money.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 291 (100%+)

Answer to that my friend is simple......GREED! If anyone can buy parts cheaper than what Traxxas is selling them for, Traxxas looses money.
+1 not saying its full greed, but as a business model if you are wanting to sell parts that cost more than what chop shops are selling them for, you do what you can to protect your sales.

So it seems that more and more of the vehicle is proprietary with the servo and now possibly the motor that can fit?
Old 11-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Tech Champion

So now they're screwing chop shops.. (which means, basically, customers...)

Lamest RC company ever..
Haadkoe likes this.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Micah78 View Post
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
+1 not saying its full greed, but as a business model if you are wanting to sell parts that cost more than what chop shops are selling them for, you do what you can to protect your sales.

So it seems that more and more of the vehicle is proprietary with the servo and now possibly the motor that can fit?
Bingo! There's also another reason that's a little less important but does factor in as well and that's resale value vs new vehicle price. Everyone remembers how the XO1 dropped $200-300 in price right? Well if you were paying attention to the price of XO1 rollers on eBay the price of rollers and used ones had already plummeted before Traxxas dropped the price of a new one. Why? Because it's a one trick pony and the only reason chop shops would even buy them was for the goodies, leaving them with a worthless chassis. When used stuff (new rollers included) are going for dirt people aren't going to pay top dollar for new, it's a perceived value. Plus people will start to think the only thing it's good for is the parts, which is kind of true in the XO1's case. Make things proprietary and its not as profitable to chop them up and there won't be as many rollers going for dirt ruining the perceived value of a new one. The XO1 is an extreme case of this in rc but this is a real phenomenon in real cars.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

traxxas rain session video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIgdDd69bU

bigger jump at the end

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.