Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Revo BB build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Thanks again for the advice on the steering setup, il be sure to pay attention to it when I get to that point and your info on the al/ti bits is great.

Re-Hooked, as somebody who made some exits and re-entrances to the hobby as well I know where you are coming from but I say go for it! I have personally been into the 1/10 electric race seen for quite a while (in nitro racing around here) but really got the nitro itch again. I also just picked up a new Jato this weekend as I used to have a lot of fun with those as well. It's good to be back into the nitro scene! I'm still a big electric guy (heck I run a business around it) but from a pure enjoyment stance there is so much to love about nitro.
Yea, that is a ZR .30X Comp motor, that's great to hear as I debated on a handful of motors and am still very happy I went with this one even though I haven't even fired it up yet. I have heard nothing but rave reviews about it so I decided to give it a shot.
I got the shocks built tonight and started the prep on the tires. I got the LST doffs outta the LST and am going to start shimming those up and getting the bulkheads dreamless out to fit them soon. After that she should start coming together nicely.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

So it's been a busy week at the shop and not a lot of time to work on the Revo, but I did get in a couple hours last night and tonight. I got the front diff all done, last night I ground down the diff cases and bulkheads, and today I got it all shimmed up and installed with the Traxxas stub axles in it to bolt up to the Revo MIP CVD"s I got for it. I also made some little plastic clocks that help lock the diff in place. I cut them out of a cheap cutting board from Wal-Mart, I was able to do 95% of the shaping with a hacksaw to rough cut and then a bench grinder, with some dremel touch ups. I really like how they came out, I left them just half a hair above the lip where the chassis sits s they hold in the diff nice and snug. It's a great idea that I saw it on another forum and thought it was a perfect solution to get something in there to actually hold the diffs in place. They are rock-solid now.
I was able to use the Integy center shaft and the Losi cup on the pinion gear. I had to swap out the pin where the set screw goes since the Integy ones use a circular retainer clip, but I had one that worked in my spares.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by It's a great idea that I saw it on another forum and thought it was a perfect solution to get something in there to actually hold the diffs in place. They are rock-solid now.

[URL=http://s77.photobucket.com/user/johnnyballz/media/bulk3_zpsaeasi0gj.jpg.html
[/URL]
Nice...I don't think I've seen this before. One to commit to memory. Was there "play" in that area because of the new diffs?
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Re-Hooked
Nice...I don't think I've seen this before. One to commit to memory. Was there "play" in that area because of the new diffs?
There really wasn't any play, but the the only think that was really holding the diffs in would be the little tab that sticks out under the stock chassis, just a thing edge of plastic that I had to grind down anyhow to clear the LST diff. The little pieces make it rock-solid.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Been really busy lately but have been getting some progress done on the Revo, diffs/bulkheads are installed but I'm sorting out the center driveshafts still. I got in my new Sweep Racing belted on-road tires to use for the motor break-in and occasional street driving.

The seem nice, although they have a little air gap between the tires and the inserts. Well glued and good quality.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Master

Finally some progress on this project. Build is going pretty smooth overall now that the diffs/bulkheads are out of the way. I still need to sort out connecting the rear center driveshaft. I am using the Losi coupler on the diff itself, and the Integy steel shaft has too much freeplay inside. Easily fixed with a couple small washers, but the small "dowel" that slides through the end of the dogbone (where the pin slides through) is not threaded on the Integy shafts as they have a spring clip that goes around the coupler to hold the pin in place. The Losi coupler does not have a groove for a snap-ring or anything so I need to find dowels that have the threaded hole for the little grub screw to lock the pin in place. I had one that was a perfect fit in my spare parts bin for the front shaft, and I have ordered literally well over a dozen CVD rebuild kits in the hopes of finding another match but still no luck.
I did the increased-caster mod from the Traxxas site where you grind the front bulkhead where the arms mount and the arms themselves to get 5 clips in front of the arm for a bunch more caster.
Only think I'm not happy with so far is the turning radius with the Integy carriers up front. The carrier itself hits the shaft for the pivot ball pretty early and is really limiting the steering throw. I'm going to try to do some careful grinding with a Dremel in that area to see if it can be improved somewhat.
Really digging the red/blue on this thing.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Finally getting some more progress done. I ordered Traxxas red pushrods/turnbuckles so waiting on those to finish up that portion, but I got the servo mounted up along with the Ofna 250cc tank. I'm going to start getting the motor installed next, she's finally getting close!

Old 08-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Looking good! The 250cc tank is great, I loved having it on my old big block revo.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Looking good! The 250cc tank is great, I loved having it on my old big block revo.
Thank you, and that is good to know. I've seen some back and forth on a lean issue with it but overall mist people seem to be satisfied with it so I figured I'd give it a shot. With a LiPo pack and this tank I should get some serious drive times
Old 08-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The taller the tank the more issues you'll have with half tank lean. I don't recall any issues with it, they're not that tall and the shape is the same vertically for more constant gravity fuel pressure. TMaxx and Savage tanks on the other hand change shape vertically and I've had more issues with them.

The only problem with the 250cc is it'll empty your fuel bottle a lot faster!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Ready for some break-in, and I still need to paint the body but overall the build is done. Finally!

Old 08-14-2015, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

Nice engine!..
Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Nice engine!..
Thank you! About to go do some break-in right now
Old 08-15-2015, 10:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nice looking build Juice. Is the LRP .30 being left stock or will it be modded? I was thinking about getting one, but having it modded.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Truck looks sick man! I need to get a bigger tank, mine sucks down the gas pretty fast. Was it easy to make fit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.