R/C Tech Forums

Sponsored by:
Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks

Old 07-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Clod Buster Brushless Options

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently using a Clod for crawling/trailing. It uses Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem brushed motors and a Novak Super Rooster. The rear motor is labeled "reverse". I'd like to rebuild it for speed!

My questions are: If I wanted to move to a brushless system, do I need a reverse brushless motor for the rear? And are there any speed controllers on the market that would run both motors? or would I need two speed controllers and mix them on the radio?

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Unlike brushed motors the esc needs to know the position of the motor so it can fire the correct phase of the windings as there are three. The esc does this with a sensor on the motor or by reading the EMF coming back through the motor wires which is referred to as sensorless. If you try running two motors off one esc one of the motors is not going to be in sync with the other so it can't be done, you need two esc's. A simple y adapter on the servo leads is all that's needed but mixing is an option.

As for the reverse rotation motor, there's no special reverse rotation brushless motor. Only reason there is with brushed is because of the mechanical timing on the can which brushless doesn't have, all timing is done in the esc. With a sensorless system you just switch two of the motor wires and the motor will rotate in reverse. Most sensorless and sensored systems also have a way to reverse rotation through esc programming as well.

Last edited by Overdriven; 07-06-2015 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:09 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Many thanks for the speedy and thorough reply.

Steve