Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cmhelmets
I have to say: this is a really good model
One of the best MT's out there!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Would have one in my fleet but just don't need that many anymore.
Keeping it simple these days
Old 11-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

Originally Posted by monsterbrad
Would have one in my fleet but just don't need that many anymore.
Keeping it simple these days
agreed, that's why im selling my others and just keeping the XXL2e (best MT out there imo)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys, first post!!

Anyway, I've found a fair bit of info on the XXL2-E on this forum but I have a quick question regarding batteries before I pull the trigger and get one.

Would two of these batteries fit in the tray? (sorry, can't link yet!)
hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-4s1p-14-8v-20c-hardcase-pack.html

If I did get one of these trucks I'd like to rewire it for parallel battery operation to get better run times (and to give the lipos an easier life). I'm hoping two 4s 5000mah hardcase lipos fit in the tray, wired in parallel that would give 10AH of capacity which ought to give decent run time.

Thanks for any info
Old 11-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The truck is not the heaviest, but putting two of those in there would be more weight than I'd be comfortable with. Why not just use one 4s and use the other afterwards? 4s is low power, so I'd expect you'd get about 15-25 minutes per 5000mAh. If I were you, I'd get a 4s pack and a 6s pack, highest capacity you can.

Also, I'd recommend not buying Turnigy batteries. Go with SMC lipo or RC juice. I'm sure there's other people based in the US that also sell great batteries. Turnigy might be a tiny bit cheaper, but trust me, you'll be happier knowing you can talk to somebody domestically who sold you the batteries if you ever have a problem or a question.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I always advise against running two packs in parallel. I've had a couple packs that were 2p (parallel) to achieve higher mah number and one of the cells in parallel always failed quicker than other lipos from the same manufacturer. One cell (or pack) is always weaker than the other. So when you apply throttle the voltage in the weaker drops lower. But in parallel it can't drop lower than the other so the strong cell (or pack) tries to charge the weaker one as well as supply the throttle you're applying. This trying to carry the weaker cell adds stress to the stronger cell.

Another issue with running two pack in parallel is connecting them together. When you connect them together the pack with the higher voltage will discharge in order to charge the lower voltage pack. Since there's no resistance in the wire the packs will discharge and charge much faster than their c rating. This will happen each time you connect them together as well as each time you apply throttle and the stronger pack tries to charge the weaker pack. So each time you apply throttle the strong pack is getting abused by discharging too fast and the weak pack gets abused charging too fast.

And unless you make a balance harness to connect thew balance plugs together and charge them together you'll have to charge them separately and cause them to hurt themselves at least a little bit each time you connect them together. If you do make an adapter to connect the balance plugs together good luck not frying those tiny balance wires when you connect them.

I agree with RepEvox, higher voltage with high capacity will give you the most run time. Also agree with the weight thing, no sense making the truck that heavy with 8s worth of batteries unless you're going 8s in series. Plus if you run a single 5s pack you can have one charging while you run the other for almost non stop running within the same time frame instead of waiting for 2 packs to charge before running.

Last edited by Overdriven; 11-03-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:52 AM
Tech Elite

i was wondering what other battery tray's fit in the xxl2-E. i have lipos of various sizes, most of them longer than the stock tray can hold.

thanks in advance
Old 11-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silentboost
i was wondering what other battery tray's fit in the xxl2-E. i have lipos of various sizes, most of them longer than the stock tray can hold.

thanks in advance
The XXL2e has a nice big flat spot for the battery tray. If you drill some holes for mounting you can make just about any tray fit.

But instead of finding one, why not just make your own? Grab a sheet of 1/8" thick lexan, trace out your pack on it. Then plan some folds like a box to make the sides. Cut it out with a dremel and cutoff wheel. Then take a lighter and move the flame along the fold line on both sides. When hot enough just bend and hold in position until it cools. Repeat for all sides and you'll have a virtually indestructible battery tray.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Overdriven
The XXL2e has a nice big flat spot for the battery tray. If you drill some holes for mounting you can make just about any tray fit.

But instead of finding one, why not just make your own? Grab a sheet of 1/8" thick lexan, trace out your pack on it. Then plan some folds like a box to make the sides. Cut it out with a dremel and cutoff wheel. Then take a lighter and move the flame along the fold line on both sides. When hot enough just bend and hold in position until it cools. Repeat for all sides and you'll have a virtually indestructible battery tray.
i never thought of that, ill try that out. thanks
Old 11-03-2016, 04:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silentboost
i never thought of that, ill try that out. thanks
I do recommend practicing how you heat the Lexan on a piece of scrap though. You'll always get a little soot from the flame that wipes right off, but keep the flame too concentrated in one spot and you can discolor or bubble the Lexan. Haven't tried using a heat gun yet but it may work as well. Either way use a marker or something to draw a line on the fold to help guide you exactly where the heat needs to be. Also make the base a little big, the fold will be kind of rounded instead of pointy and if the tray ends up a little big you can always pad it with foam anyway. Can't do much if it's too small. The sides will flex a little but don't worry about trying to secure the corners after folding. You can epoxy the corners if you want but trust me it's not needed. Just use 2 Velcro straps and the pack isn't going anywhere. I left the corners alone and even drilled holes in the sides of my Lexan tray and my 6s 5000mah stays put.

If you still want a double tray making a single tray with a divider wouldn't be too hard. Just cut some slots in the bottom and sides of the tray. Then make the divider with extensions that fit into those slots and use a little glue or epoxy to secure the divider into those slots. It'll probably be easier to fold the tray first then insert the divider, the lexan will be just flexible enough to get the divider in there.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Overdriven
I do recommend practicing how you heat the Lexan on a piece of scrap though. You'll always get a little soot from the flame that wipes right off, but keep the flame too concentrated in one spot and you can discolor or bubble the Lexan. Haven't tried using a heat gun yet but it may work as well. Either way use a marker or something to draw a line on the fold to help guide you exactly where the heat needs to be. Also make the base a little big, the fold will be kind of rounded instead of pointy and if the tray ends up a little big you can always pad it with foam anyway. Can't do much if it's too small. The sides will flex a little but don't worry about trying to secure the corners after folding. You can epoxy the corners if you want but trust me it's not needed. Just use 2 Velcro straps and the pack isn't going anywhere. I left the corners alone and even drilled holes in the sides of my Lexan tray and my 6s 5000mah stays put.

If you still want a double tray making a single tray with a divider wouldn't be too hard. Just cut some slots in the bottom and sides of the tray. Then make the divider with extensions that fit into those slots and use a little glue or epoxy to secure the divider into those slots. It'll probably be easier to fold the tray first then insert the divider, the lexan will be just flexible enough to get the divider in there.
great tips. even if i needed a divider for double packs, im ok with just putting few thin strips of dense foam between the packs.

ill grab some lexan this weekend and try that out... just hope it doesnt turn out ghetto looking..

thanks!
Old 11-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

could not find any info on this but is there other tire that fit on the 420 Series Force Wheel w/Cap, Chrome: rims Universal(2), iam not really wanting to do the 17mm change over as I have the tires/rims that came with the truck and a set of muggy tires/rims, would like to get some thing like the trenchers.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by scottc
could not find any info on this but is there other tire that fit on the 420 Series Force Wheel w/Cap, Chrome: rims Universal(2), iam not really wanting to do the 17mm change over as I have the tires/rims that came with the truck and a set of muggy tires/rims, would like to get some thing like the trenchers.
40 series tires fit 420 series wheels. Two things to be aware of. First, 420 series wheels are a little bit wider than 40'series. Some 40 series tires like Big Joes are wide enough that they won't look funny at all on 420 series wheels. 40 series Trenchers are narrower and I'm not sure how they'd look on 420 series wheels.

Second, 40 and 420 series has a 3.8 inch mounting diameter with standard mounting bead. The Trencher X also has a 3.8 mounting diameter but it has the Traxxas style bead and won't fit a 40 series wheel. Be sure to read very carefully and look at pics of the tire unmounted so you can see the bead and make sure it'll fit. Unfortunately there's not much choice in 40/420 series tires and wheels these days unless you can find older stuff.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Addict

When I can get some cheap 420 wheels or 40 series 23 mm hex wheels I would love to try to remove the outer ring of the bead, so that I can try using Traxxas bead tires on the 40 series wheels.
Like you said, I to have some 23mm and 20mm hexes and wheels, and I love them so far, so I do not want to go back to 17 anytime soon if possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.