Like Tree30Likes

Losi XXL2-E

Old 02-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Tech Addict

It looks like the ESC problems ARMMA had are pretty much solved now?
Old 02-17-2016, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Ontopic..

some pictures of my Losi in action today.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looks great!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Is that 4s or 6 and how much throttle were you giving it?
Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Could someone here share some knowledge on tuning the handling of these trucks?

Basically I'd like to know how to set it up to run better on tarmac vs off road (have it not tumble in high speed tight turns). For example, what would be the impact if I tighten/loosen the nuts on the shocks (make the springs harder/softer) and what other settings are advised to be changed?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

How's the stock servo(s) on the XXL2-E ?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by victoras_h

Basically I'd like to know how to set it up to run better on tarmac vs off road (have it not tumble in high speed tight turns). For example, what would be the impact if I tighten/loosen the nuts on the shocks (make the springs harder/softer) and what other settings are advised to be changed?
I would say that the tuning is highly adjustable. "Easy" is a relative term. As far as the ability to tune, there are many ways to tune the truck. The differentials can be tuned by using different weights of differential fluid. By using diff fluid you can change the way the truck handles based on the surface you drive most. Viscous diffs are a great way to change the handling of your Vehicle. Then you have the shocks, you can use heavier or lighter weight shock oil to manipulate the suspension and springs to further tweek the response you want. You also have a slipper clutch, that allows you to control the power delivery. So yes, it's easy to set it up to run the way you want. What's not easy, is knowing how to manipulate all those adjustments to actually work for you and your chosen driving environment. Trial and error eventually leads to success.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by victoras_h

Actually the biggest impact is learning how to use the truck's weight to your advantage. Going full throttle and just cranking the wheel usually isn't going to end well. Let off the throttle for a split second before initiating the turn and weight will transfer to the front and you'll be more likely to slide the truck instead of rolling it.

As for actual tuning, start with the easy. Move the shocks to the outer holes on the arms to lower the truck. A little bit harder way to lower the truck is to put some fuel line on the shock shaft inside the shock so it won't extend as much and using Muggy shock mounts on the arms. The shock collars only change the preload on the springs and to a certain extent the ride height. The actual spring rate doesn't change unless they're progressive rate springs (the stock springs are not progressive), in which case you're just activating the different rate on the progressive spring since you've compressed it. Another easy one is to get the LST sway bar kit, definitely run a thick bar up front. For the rear try the thin bar first, if it over steers too much or picks up the inside rear tire too much try a thick bar in the rear too.

Beyond that you can increase the shock oil weight, stock is 30wt, most go to 35-40wt for on and off-road. As mentioned diff weight tuning can help a lot depending on your driving style. Idk what stock weight is but 30k front and about 20k rear works well for me to let the rear slide a little instead of rolling. Then there's always tires.

Originally Posted by DeathWish9
I think most would say they're good for a RTR. A bit better than adequate and not something that's a must to upgrade. If anything the servo savers are a little on the soft side (MGT savers are stiffer) and you could give the stock servos a boost in power and speed with an external bec to increase the voltage going to them. Do those 2 things for about $40 and you'll see a big improvement and probably won't see any need to upgrade the servos. Eirher way you'll have a solid foundation to get the most out of a servo upgrade if you decide to do one later on.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

No need to go overboard "tuning" an MT.. IMO just tweak the shocks going from street to offroad. Most stock LST springs are too soft. Yellow springs is a good start. RC Ravens are better(IMO). Softer for jumping, harder for street.. No need to mess with diffs...(10-30k in both to start maybe..). Sway bars are also good easy ways to adjust handling.. But it IS a monster truck, so you're only going to get so much handling anyway...

LST steering servos are OK at best. However I personally don't think it's worth the hassle or cost of "upgrading". Having two, they are more sensitive to being set correctly than a single servo. You don't want them working against each other. I have LST2's, with the 590's - the newer XXL have stronger servos. But the 590's in my experience were very prone to croaking with minimal water contact. Are the newer ones better in that regard? Dunno'... Changing out a steering servo on an LST is horrible PIA btw.

I think, Deathwish, part of what should be coming through here is, there is no perfect truck(or world ha ha..) It's a hobby and they all need something, all have strengths and weaknesses.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:51 AM
Tech Adept

Yes , no perfect truck indeed.

Uh oh , another noob question coming : What is a servo "saver" ? And why does the servo need saving ? This may sound like a joke but I'm serious.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

A servo saver is a larger servo horn that has a spring built into it so if say the wheel hit a tree/curb or any thing hard the spring give before the servo is damaged. SERVO SAVED
Old 02-19-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

And for what it's worth, the XXL2-E comes with sway bars front and back.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok I am going to post here. my trans outdrive cup (front/forward) keeps disconnecting, I can't operate my Losi for more then a few feet before my all wheel drive turns into rear rear drive..how do I fix it
Old 02-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DeathWish9
I replaced the stock servos with waterproof brushless Airtronics units that put out 351 oz.in. @ 7.4v EACH (So 702 oz.in. together), using the Mamba Monster X ESC that has an adjustable BEC (the power wire that goes to the receiver and servos) that I set to 7.5v.

The stock servos put out 162 oz.in. each, but that rating is at 7.4v. The stock Sidewinder 8th ESC only puts out a fixed 5.5v BEC. I’d guess the servos then only output around 90-100 oz.in. each at that lower voltage.

As for speed, the stock servos are good for 0.15 sec @ 7.4v. So again, with the stock 5.5v BEC, I bet it’s around 0.17-0.18 sec. This is the time it takes the servo to turn 60-degrees. The Airtronics servos I put in are 0.11 sec @ 7.4v, so at least 70% faster than stock, with 500% more torque.

I also upgraded the stock servo saver. I used the same plastic horn and assembly, and just replaced the 4 thinner springs with the 3 thicker springs from the Associated MGT servo saver.

Before the upgrade, the truck seemed to steer well while driving. Nothing spectacular, but it generally did what you asked. The tires would not turn super well after the truck got packed with snow/ice. Nor would they turn very much with the truck sitting on hardpack (not an important metric, but shows the overall lack of power). I think the softer springs on the stock servo saver are a definite contributor to the issue.

After the upgrade, the steering is very fast and very powerful. Full, fast, lock-to-lock while sitting on concrete. While just driving and bashing it’s not as noticeable. It definitely helps, but I’m not sure it’s $230 noticeable for the bigger servos.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

How does this truck compare to the Mamba Brushless E Maxx being objective please. Not worried about a traxxas vs losi debate just aimply one MT vs another

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.