Like Tree30Likes

Losi XXL2-E

Old 09-06-2017, 12:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wesleyroy
I found this site rakonheli but i dont really think it needs aluminium or carbon upgrades. However i like the carbon plates.

I have the T-bone bumpers, they are quite big and maybe not as nice as stock, however they protect the front and rear good.

Also i like the yellow losi springs, Raven rc springs seems even better springs, however that was a bit to expensive to ship to Europe. The yellow springs are a big improvement. At first i was continuing breaking shock shafts, till i changed to yellow losi springs, wich are stiffer. Now i dont have problems breaking shockshafts al the time.

THis is my LSTxxl2e, yellow losi springs, 17mm hex with Louise rc tyres, Tbone bumpers, Proline GMC Topkick body.
Bodys for the HPI Savage HP fit the Losi. Bodys for the Emaxx or HPI e-savage are to small.
Thanks Wesleyroy! I appreciate the tips. I will check out the yellow springs and t bone bumpers for sure.

Originally Posted by knh208
You won't need hop-up parts like you do for the Slash. The truck takes a beating in stock form and keeps coming back for more.
Thank you knh208. Truck is ordered and I am psyched for next week- but not as psyched as my 11 year old. I have to say it was a tough decision between this and the Yeti XL but the reliability and fun factor won out in the end.

Take care and thanks again!
Old 09-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

When I installed RC Raven springs, the ride height increased. I didn't like the instability. It didn't corner as well and wheelied way too easily. I reduced the preload most of the way and it works great.

I have 5000 mAh packs and I get about 20 mins run time. Bigger would be better, but I'm not sure how much more a guy can fit in the battery tray. I have pairs of 2S, 3S and 4S. Most of the time I use 2S+3S to run 5S and carry a spare set with me.

Originally Posted by seh6183
Okay and I had some other questions I couldn't find in the thread lol

I have everything on the way and only went with two 3s 5000mah packs. I'm now thinking that is too small of packs? They seemed big to me, but I'm seeing others talk about 7000s and 9000s. Am I only going to get 15 minutes with these two packs?

Also I am intrigued with the X-Maxx. Have always liked to have a lot of ground clearance so I can fly through grass and fields. Without taking these stock shocks off and just adjusting them do you think I could make the Losi X-Maxxish with bigger tires? I don't want to destroy it's stability and ability to carve corners but I really would prefer more ground clearance.

Thanks for reading.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Just getting started with converting my Losi LST aftershock to brushless.

How i got it.

After a big cleaning, swapping to LST 2 arms, 17mm conversion, yellow springs, some red LST2 parts. Also changed al chassis hardware to metric screws.

Also swiched to HD gears, with some spare LST2 red diff case i had as spare. Waiting for diff parts for the front diff.

I couldnt get the transmissions loose, because the outdrives where stuck. THe aftershock already has the FOC ive read somewhere. SO what about the gearswap and LOsi xxl outputgear set, is that really neccesary? Want to have a same topspeed on 4s like my Losi LST2e rtr.

WIth a Tenshock 2200kv motor.

Last edited by wesleyroy; 09-07-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:31 AM
Tech Regular

So finally i have been managed to open up my gearbox, as the outdrives where a bit stuck.

Found out is has the stock bevel gears 30/15 in it. According to the manual of the LST2E the new one has LOSB3118 gears in it, it doesnt says how many gears this is.

I bought LOSB3120 gears (28/17) for it before i found out the new LST2 has 30/15 in it. So now i am bit confused what gearing to use with a 2200kv motor on 4s, with stock LST2E spur and pinon.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

@Wesleyroy

Aftershock, LST, LST2, XXL2 (gas) and XXL2e all have the same 2.09:1 transmission gearing which is 15/30 bevel gears. The XXL (nitro) is 1.89:1, 16/29 bevel gears and is the only factory transmission with different gearing. LOSB3120 17/28 (about 1.7:1) is the Losi electric conversion bevel gears and were intended for motors with 1700kv or less on 5s or less.

Doing the gear swap or going with XXL bevel gears isn't necessary in most cases. In fact I recommend against both for 2000-2200kv setups unless you absolutely have to have a speed run only LST. In your case you want the same top speed as your XXL2e, your aftershock has same trans, your putting in the same 2200kv as the XXL2e, so don't touch the trans and run the same size pinion and spur as the XXL2e.

Edit: I just read back and noticed in a previous post that you want to use truggy size tires. If that's the case and you only want to run stock 24/63 pinion/spur XXL2e gearing, then yes LOSB3120 would be necessary. LOSB3120 17/29 bevel gears, 5.6" tall truggy tires, 24/63 pinion/spur, 2200kv on 4s is the same top speed as a XXL2e on stock tires.

Last edited by Overdriven; 09-08-2017 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Overdriven, thanks for the explanation. That clarifys it for me. I reconsidered my choise for truggy tyres, i couldnt find some nice all terrain truggy tyres and found some nice Louise RC Pioneer tyres. Wich are 160mm diameter, and i got them for my birthday from my wife.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/M5X1KWOkDQRJge0E3

Last edited by wesleyroy; 09-08-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Regular

Overdriven, so you dont recommend using 2000kv-2200-v motors as i understand. Will be better to just buy the 1950kv Tenshock motor instead of the 2200kv? Running on 4s it will be slower i guess?
Old 09-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wesleyroy
Overdriven, so you dont recommend using 2000kv-2200-v motors as i understand. Will be better to just buy the 1950kv Tenshock motor instead of the 2200kv? Running on 4s it will be slower i guess?
You misunderstand or I wasn't clear enough. There's nothing wrong with 2200kv on 4s. I don't normally recommend doing the "gear swap" in the trans or changing the bevels from the stock 15/30. But that's a blanket statement meant for the typical basher seeing all types of terrain and for the guy who might eventually want more than 4s.

The problem is the LST is basically limited to a 63t spur. Then the motor mounts are usually pretty limited as far as the range of pinion you can use. 25/63 is the go to for 2200kv on 4s, but with many motor mounts you can't go small enough on the pinion to use 5s or 6s with 2200kv. If you do the "gear swap" or change the bevels to higher speed (than 15/30) now you need an even smaller pinion that likely won't fit. So gearing is kind of limited with motors over 2000kv but it's not bad enough to not recommend a motor. If you're staying 4s then 2200kv is fine.

In any event I always tailor the gearing to the motor, voltage and terrain. Of course I always do gearing calculations before buying a motor or making a recommendation. I also don't have experience with every motor mount out there so I'm cautious about potential problems with available gearing.

Back to your specific use case. You want to stay with 24/63 pinion/spur and keep top speed around what that of your stock XXL2e. A stock XXL2e (with stock 171mm/6.75" diameter tires) works out to 36mph without any tire ballooning factored in. To get 36mph with the 160mm/6.3" tires and 24/63 pinion spur on 4s 2200kv you need the stock 15/30 bevels and to do the "gear swap" in the transmission. With a 1950kv motor on 4s and the same 24/63 gearing, 1600mm/6.3" tires you'd need the 17/28 bevel gears to get 36mph.
wesleyroy likes this.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks. Overdriven. Going for a 2200kv motor. Maybe i wiill run it first stock without the gearswap. Maybe a bit less topspeed is a good idea for the shorter wheelbase (less stable as xxl i guess). Will it matters a lot going from the stock 171mm tyres to 160mm tyres in speed? I have changed my XXL2e to Louise Uphill tyres wich are 165mm. But could not drive it yet because of the bad weather.

Are there some pictures about the gearswap?
edit. found it.

Oh btw i am planning on buying the RC Monster motor mount with the rc monster battery tray. Ive read some good things about it.

Last edited by wesleyroy; 09-08-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

The difference between 171mm and 160mm tires is 2-3mph. But remember this is assuming no tire ballooning (increased diameter) from centrifugal force. Unless the tires are taped inside all rc tires balloon so the difference is actually a bit greater. How much greater depends on the tires and how much each one balloons. So maybe 5mph difference between 171mm and 160mm.

A note about the gear swap. You will have to clearance the case of the transmission a little bit for the larger gear. And I think some shims are recommended. There's a few write ups floating around, I've never done it and it's been forever since I've read a write up.

I know you're just trying to get information and make an informed descision. It's nice to put something together and not have to take it back apart. But don't stress over little details like the gear swap that can easily be done later or reversed. Just go for it. Yeah shorter wheelbase is a little less stable but that's over bumps where you're not really going to have the throttle mashed. Just go for it. Test and modify as necessary.
wesleyroy likes this.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

i might be able to add a little bit to this. i love the xxl2e. my only issue with it has been the included electronics. the sidewinder 8 that came original would thermal on me fairly often without what would be considered severe bashing. i swapped that to a mm2 (or X, cant remember right off.) this eliminated the heat issue with the ESC. I have and continue to run 6S. this would lead to motor temperatures of like 175 F with pretty hard bashing. that in itself would be fine but not for me. i play with these with my young boys and though the motor is fine at the temp, a child's palm not so much. I enjoy overkill's TP4070 thread so i decided to get one of those. i did not want to sacrifice speed so i went with the 2200 CM. the temps were better but still in the 155 F range. i then got the 4070 in roughly 1600kv. i did do the bevel gear swap but not the FOC gear swap. this left me with theoretically the same speed. in practice it is as fast or faster. temps are no longer an issue at all. the esc is typically 135, battery 110, and motor less that 100. i am using the 63 spur with a tekno 27 pinion. i think that a 28 or 29 would fit . i'd like the thank Overdriven for all of the info necessary to do this.
wesleyroy likes this.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by huckleberry
i am using the 63 spur with a tekno 27 pinion. i think that a 28 or 29 would fit . i'd like the thank Overdriven for all of the info necessary to do this.
Thanks for that info on the XXL2e and what will fit without modification. Losi must have made some changes to the mount in order to get 22t-28t to fit. The old Losi conversion kit with the blue mount (for all chassis except XXL2e) was 25t to maybe 28t with 63t spur. Couldn't go any smaller as it was hitting the ear of the trans mount and bigger would require chassis modification. The aftermarket mounts out there (again for all chassis except XXL2e) all have a wider range but I don't know the smallest pinion that they can fit.

Glad I could provide some info to help you out. You definitely have one cool running rig!
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

@ Overdriven, thanks for your help.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ejfiii
Thanks Wesleyroy! I appreciate the tips. I will check out the yellow springs and t bone bumpers for sure.

Thank you knh208. Truck is ordered and I am psyched for next week- but not as psyched as my 11 year old. I have to say it was a tough decision between this and the Yeti XL but the reliability and fun factor won out in the end.

Take care and thanks again!
Just got home from a trip, opened the ebay box, ran the truck for about 5 seconds and notice this:

https://
photos.app.goo.gl/XNJDE5TZdyw8cTP62

(sorry for the broken link to the video but I can't post links yet)

Seems like the rear driveshaft is spinning freely or barely connected. Haven't even had time too look at a parts/exploded diagram this week but I guess i need to now. Totally sucks to have your excitement (and more importantly the excitement of your 11 year old) dashed so quickly.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Well that was exciting for a second.

Turned out to only be a backed out grub screw on the rear driveshaft. Fix that and then another 30 seconds and one wheelie before blowing a hole in a rear tire and ejecting the foam out the hole. Then another 15 seconds and the slipper screw backed all the way off.

Should the slipper clutch nut be plastic? I can't really tighten it. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.