Tech Rookie

Nice! How you like the trenchers?
Get that thing dirty haha
Old 01-04-2017, 01:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jharper
Nice! How you like the trenchers?
Get that thing dirty haha
Trenchers have been great in the snow. I have gotten it dirty...or at least wet from the snow. No dirt here, just snow snow snow...
Old 01-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BuGgYBaShEr.28
Correct, I run a 2s and 3s together and sometimes two 3s together, both are the 131amps. They recently changed how they rate these lipos, I previously had the same thing from them except they were advertised at 60c discharge. These 131amps are 90c. The other you linked first are 150c, I think my 90c are plenty.
Looks like I'll be jumping on the bandwagon too...planning to make the plunge & order mine tomorrow. Have been looking at the SMC batteries as well. So you can fit 2 3s in the tray for 6s??? Excuse my ignorance as this will be my first RC in 20 years....used to race the Losi XX & XXT and man has technology come a long way - I'm having to re-learn all over again. Saw on earlier posts in this thread that the tray is 73.5mm & according to SMC's website the thinner side of the 3s pack is 37mm so 2 of them would be just a smidge too big.....OR maybe not? THANKS!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello everyone, im new to the forum and i thought i'd let you guys know how i'm going with my three week old XXL2E...

I'm running on 2x Dynamite 3s 50c 5ah batteries (20t pinion). Before running the truck i used Loctite on everything i could. I also modified the wheely bar to incorporate a coilover from an Axial Wraith.

During the first run i noticed a bad clicking sound and minimal power to the front wheels. During inspection i noticed that the front diff retainer was above the chassis plate and not in its slot. This made the drive shaft sit at an angle and not seat into the out drive cup properly. It was a relatively easy fix but obviously a disappointing quality control error by Losi.

I also broke a shock shaft after running into a loose stick on the ground (not big). It sheared off the threaded portion and i lost the spring and retainer. I suspect this happened so easily due to the hardening process of the shock shaft. Losi should have annealed the threaded portions to make it less brittle. At this time i replaced all springs (yellow) and repaired the coilover with new parts.

Being an electronics technician i HATE when things get hot so i removed the motor/heat sink assembly, cleaned both surfaces and added some heat transfer paste. Then reinstalled the hardware with Loctite. I also added a heat sink under the ESC for extra cooling. Not really necessary but more for peace of mind.

I also added some LED's to the body. I used just standard 5mm panel mount housings and changed to the LED's to high intensity ones. Im running them on 4AA batteries so each LED has its own 150ohm resistor.

Overall the car is unreal and heaps of fun, im still looking into what other upgrades are necessary, alluminium parts, wheels, diff upgrades etc. But for now it runs great. After 4 full runs the car has never jumped anything.....YET!!

PS. Sorry im not allowed to add pictures for some reason.

EDIT.... I also had the slipper nut back out so i added Loctite 263 instead of 243, so far so good.

Last edited by Zenna; 01-04-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Today i found the front diff housing cracked in several places and gears damaged.
This is starting to become a joke. everytime i run the truck something breaks.
Not even 90min run time!

Doesn't look like i can buy the diff housing separate...Great!!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Has anyone seen or used the new wheel and tire combination from dynamite? They now have 20mm that are for the lst models.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

you can purchase the case seperately. it is part LOSB3531. somewhere is the beginning of this thread there is advice about HPI hardened pins that fit under the sun gear in on the diff outdrives. i would recommend these. they seem pretty bullet proof. the xxl2 e has a shim from the factory (at least mine did - some don't) might want to keep that. also, earlier in the thread there is discussion of using half of a fast eddys thrust bearing. this is a better solution as it allows the slipper to be tight so you don't burn up pads but also slip under extreme strain. it takes the shock out of the drive line. i have been using them since early on and haven't had the nut come loose.
i also run my truck exclusively on 6s and have broken a few things here and there but have had no driveline issues sans the lack of locktite on the grub screws. the biggest issue that i have had is with motor heat and the stock esc which was swapped for a MM2; curing the problems
Old 01-05-2017, 07:28 AM
Tech Initiate

I received my new xxl2-e yesterday. First thing I did was to check the grub screws on driveshaft/diff attachment. This one already had blue loctite on them and were very tight. I learned on my gas truck to loctite these first thing. That truck wasn't treated and caused damage when the screws backed out. That's progress I guess.

This truck came with sway bars and my gas version didn't. Interesting. The grubs on the sway bar had loctite on them as well. nice :-)

The wheelie bar sure does look fragile. I've seen some mods to add a shock as a replacement for the bar that comes with it. Can't quite get my head around that mod as the bottom attachment is not flexible. Would need a pivot on the bottom as well to be effective. I was thinking more of just replacing it with a bumper. The gas bumper should fit just fine. Thoughts?

Do they not realize how these trucks are used? I mean, really....

Last edited by jrjr; 01-05-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overthetop
Looks like I'll be jumping on the bandwagon too...planning to make the plunge & order mine tomorrow. Have been looking at the SMC batteries as well. So you can fit 2 3s in the tray for 6s??? Excuse my ignorance as this will be my first RC in 20 years....used to race the Losi XX & XXT and man has technology come a long way - I'm having to re-learn all over again. Saw on earlier posts in this thread that the tray is 73.5mm & according to SMC's website the thinner side of the 3s pack is 37mm so 2 of them would be just a smidge too big.....OR maybe not? THANKS!
I can fit a 2s and 3s in the tray, I have been running 6s, so I can also fit two 3s lipos in the same tray np
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Brinkman804
Trenchers have been great in the snow. I have gotten it dirty...or at least wet from the snow. No dirt here, just snow snow snow...
That sounds like fun - to an extent haha
We're supposed to get some this weekend so I'm gonna give it a go. Did you seal the receiver box?
Old 01-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

the spectrum receivers are waterproof. not sure if submersible but listed on website as waterproof. i have used them extensively in the snow without issue
Old 01-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=Jharper;14790726]That sounds like fun - to an extent haha
We're supposed to get some this weekend so I'm gonna give it a go. Did you seal the receiver box?[/QUOTE

I did put some black gorilla tape around the box as peace of mind. Just along the seam.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:17 PM
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=Brinkman804;14791176]
Originally Posted by Jharper
That sounds like fun - to an extent haha
We're supposed to get some this weekend so I'm gonna give it a go. Did you seal the receiver box?[/QUOTE

I did put some black gorilla tape around the box as peace of mind. Just along the seam.
I also wipe the whole vehicle down with wd-40.I use a rag that is soaked with wd-40. I will have a new video up tonight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.