Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tmaxx idle question

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tmaxx idle question

Just broke in my Tmaxx 3.3. I can't keep it idling. Even when I am running it it dies if I let off the gas. I tried the idle screw. It's either not enough or way too much. Thanks
Old 06-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by travis40
Just broke in my Tmaxx 3.3. I can't keep it idling. Even when I am running it it dies if I let off the gas. I tried the idle screw. It's either not enough or way too much. Thanks
Set your idle gap .07 to 1mm, a small paper clip will do the job, be sure you have a fresh glow plug on it if it's still the one your using during the break in then replace it, reset both lsn, hsn to factory setting and start from there, set your hsn first then lsn..
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by travis40
Sounds like the low idle mixture screw is slightly lean. Richen it up a tad and see if that helps. Give it a 1/16th turn one direction or the other from where it is now. The actual idle screw is probably not the actual issue. Basically when you let off the throttle, the engine isn't getting enough fuel to keep it running
Old 06-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

If it was a brand new truck, chances are that your low end is too rich. This will cause it to bog out and die and also cause it to stumble on take off. Almost every engine made will be set overly rich from the factory. Contrary to what most others do I set my low end first then high end. Set your idle gap as mentioned above and set the high end to factory settings, then use the pinch test for the low end. Pinch the fuel line by the carb nipple. If it is too rich it will rev way up and take awhile to stall out. If it is too lean it will die quickly with little to no rev up. When set properly it will rev slightly higher for a few seconds then die. Be sure to have the engine warmed up to running temp when doing this and have a half tank of fuel if the tank is stock. The reason for that is that the stock tank causes the engine to lean out as it empties due to it's odd shape, so try to tune your engine with about a half tank at all times. After the low end and idle are good, do some full throttle runs and tune your high end. If you want some visual and audio reference on the pinch test, search youtube. There are quite a few videos on there of what it should sound like. That method has served me well and gets the engine close enough that it will only need very slight adjustments for drastic temperature changes.