R/C Tech Forums

Sponsored by:
Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks

Old 06-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default What is the best monster truck

I'm looking to buy one, so my son and I can bash with. What is a good
4wd truck That won't cost an arm and a leg. I've seen some opions on youtube. Traxxas Stampede,HPI flux HP, and the MT4-G3.

Last edited by purpleturk; 06-19-2015 at 08:46 AM.
purpleturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Some here may not agree, but I think the ARRMA Kraton is one of the best bang for the buck trucks you can get.

My sons and I have bashed mine pretty good and no issues other than a broken wing mount and a bad steering servo. Wing mounts are pretty inexpensive and you can just run without it. The steering servo was replaced under warranty with no hassle.
fitzxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Tech Adept

I guess my issue is I only want to spend less than $200 for it. I know I won't get new and I don't need rtr. The Kraton does look like fun but I dont have any 6s lipos. Just 2s that I race with
Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

the "best monster truck"?
-or-
the "best monster truck for under $200"?

The latter would be my guess, and if so, watch your local craigslist and grab an emaxx, stampede, or savage. The thunder tigers, Losis and anything else you can't immediately find at a local hobby shop will call for a high dollar value locally, and on here, you'll have to consider shipping. Then again....crazy deals come around now and then, keep your eyes open!!
Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For $200 you are looking at a used 1/10 in good shape (and maybe brushless), or a very used 1/8 in mediocre shape with a brushed motor.

Craigslist and ebay auctions are your best bet. Craigslist you will find good deals but have much more limited options.

Common choices under 200:
stampede - small, tough, lots of upgrades available
emaxx 3905 or 3906 - huge, brushed, every part upgradeable, not very tough in stock form.
ECX Ruckus 2wd - cheap, large, very tough, limited upgrades available but doesnt need anything other than metal gears.

lots of nitro are available at that price range. I just sold a working savage nitro for 135.
Depending on the surface you plan on running you might be better off with a 1/8 buggy instead of a monster truck. You can find used brushless 1/8 buggies for 200ish. Im selling my old ofna lx comp conversion tonight for 200, so there are deals out there.
MaxxGabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Grab a Stampede , you should be very happy with that . I'd say imo its the best & toughest in that price range for bashing and your 2s lipos will be put to good use. If you have the extra money go brushless and if not dont and upgrade in the future. Best of luck
Old 06-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Tech Regular

I make the very best that money can buy! I start witha Losi LST or XXL and build a carbon chassis that uses a Summit transmission.
It has a 17.5'' wheel base!
8.5/8'' tires look great on this build. The beadlock rims are sweet as well!
Old 06-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
Tech Regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zBB...annel=twissted
Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

If all you need is a roller because you have electronics. Then you could always go on eBay and purchase a Stampede XVL / XL5 2wd roller fairly cheep. Roughly $139-159, some times even less.

TowerHobbies has a huge discount on Traxxas currently.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0872p?&L=TPR

XL5 is $199 plus Towers discount and free shipping. All you would really need is bearings. Once the motor burns up I am sure a inexpensive brushless system from eBay can be had for around $60.
AlaskanDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Tech Adept

There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between a slash 4x4 and a stampede 4x4. Can I put Mt tires on a slash 4x4. Found one of those cheap
Old 06-19-2015, 03:32 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleturk View Post
There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between a slash 4x4 and a stampede 4x4. Can I put Mt tires on a slash 4x4. Found one of those cheap
The main difference is the chassis, Slash 4x4 has a longer wheelbase and the side mounted body supports for the wider Short course bodies. You can put bigger tires on the Slash 4x4 and change the body to something that fits the Tmaxx 3.3 if you like.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Oh dang, sorry. Somehow between the time of reading your question I completely forgot 4x4 was desired.

Yes, many people build Slash 4x4 MT. You can easily put larger tires on it, but don't forget to gear accordingly. Often people use 1/8th scale brushless in their trucks. Also, most 1/8 scale MT bodies will fit the chassis, this will give you that MT look.

I have seen some used rollers for sale decked out for around $180-325. A bit above your budget, however, they can be had with full 1/8 systems and teckno / mpi shaft. Usually all they is a radio; of course this is the upper range.

They sell fast and I have missed out on 3-4 deals because of where I live, and other circumstances, (doctors appointments for wife).

One time I priced one out using Towers for Discount and eBay / Amazon and the truck came out to $1125. The man selling it was only asking $350. Only problem you would need to worry about are the diffs being worn out. However, most people selling on this forum are rather honest.
AlaskanDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleturk View Post
I guess my issue is I only want to spend less than $200 for it. I know I won't get new and I don't need rtr. The Kraton does look like fun but I dont have any 6s lipos. Just 2s that I race with
for $200.00 the ECX ruckus 2wd will be best for you easy to work on also and RPM makes some good hop up parts now for the ECX trucks, another good one but way harder to work on is the Arrma granite those are probably the 2 best cheap monster trucks.
reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #14
Tech Adept

If I were 2 use a slash 4wd truck (not converting to stampede) and put monster truck tires on it would I buy a 1/10 mt body or a 1/8 mt body?
Old 06-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

I will keep an eye on this thread, I posted something loosely similar in the rookie section but haven't got much for replies. How old is your son? I have some pretty young kids 7 and 5 and while I was looking at the ARRMA product I like that you can dial down the power on the Stampede to training mode.
Scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote