Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the best monster truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

he is 3. I have a dx3r pro radio so I turn down to 30% he does good. He has been playing with my rjspeed car. I wanted something he could drive in the grass.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:25 AM
Tech Adept

the ARRMA Kraton is one bad looking ride but hard to find used that isnt 250 or more.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:45 AM
Tech Adept

I'd say ECX for the money. You can get a 1/10th scale stadium truck or the Ruckus in 4x4 for $40 more than your budget.
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX03012
http://www.ecxrc.com/Products/Defaul...rodID=ECX03011

For the extra $40, it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Plus you can upgrade to brushless later if so desired.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:28 PM
Tech Regular

For $200 your options are a little thin. I'd say the best would be to build up a roller yourself. If you're looking for an electric a T Maxx conversion would be cool, though it would be tough to stay below that budget once you buy the motor and ESC, not to mention the batteries and charger. I got a T Maxx Pro .15 roller for $60 on Ebay awhile back, though that isn't very common. You could build a Stampede 4x4 roller or something similar, too.

Without a roller build you're looking at used brushed 4x4's, and some new brushed 2wd's. You could always get a Stampede 4x4 brushed and build it up later. Nitro's are generally cheaper than brushless and slightly more than brushed, but still hard to find at $200 unless you're looking for a used stadium truck or 2wd truggy. And then same as electric there's more crap to buy after the truck. If you wanted to go nitro, there are options there too though.

I'd vote for the Stampede 4x4 brushed if going used. I have a hard time voting to go the used route however as I have seen too many people run into a lot of issues with used RC's. I myself have been lucky with them, but most are not. Arrma and a few other lesser known brands make some very affordable 2wd truggies and monster trucks that are close to $200 new. The Arrma Granite BLS is $223 shipped from Tower Hobbies with one of their coupon codes. The Stampede 2wd Brushed is cheaper yet at $184 shipped from Tower with coupon code though it is kind of an aged design. I had a Stampede back in the early 2000's and it was a good truck. Fun, though slow. An XL-5 Stampede now days can take a 2s battery, making it faster than they used to be.

I'd have to vote for the Stampede XL-5 2wd above all others at that price point. Reasons being it's new so you're not buying a potential money pit, and it comes with a battery and cheap charger to get you started with it as well as a warranty of course. All you need for it would be 4 AA batteries for the remote. After you get started, you can start looking into better batteries and chargers unless you have them already, and eventually a power plant upgrade. Traxxas also has the best parts support there is, bar none. You will be able to get parts for that truck at any hobby shop anywhere, something that no other manufacturer can equal.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:16 PM
Tech Adept

I bought a slash 4x4 for 130 and I have 5xl and a 12t brushed motor. I'm going to replace all the bearings and turn it into a stampede 4x4. But I'm not changing the chassis.which should make it a 1\8 scale. I went to traxxas and compared the slash to the stampede and there is about an inch bigger.that is axle to axle
Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Redcat has quite a few rtr brushed 4x4 options in that range new of course. Actually just seen done on amazon for 129.blackout I think it was. To your question if your wanting a mt body for a slash then yes get 8th scale
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Yep you basically have a poor man's 8th scale. That's what I was going to do to my stampede. I was going to use the slash chassis for length then get the 17mm hex conversion run 8th electronics and 8th monster truck tires
Old 06-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm a huge fan of the Revo 3.3. Converted to electric it's much better than the e-Revo.

If I was looking for an e-MT these days I'd go for the Arrma Kraton.

At $200 your best bet is the Traxxas Stampede. Use the Tower Hobbies coupon and you can have it for under $200 shipped.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products...as/trad40.html

Spend a little more and you can have a Traxxas Craniac or Skully.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SEARCH=craniac
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...VSEARCH=skully
Old 07-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reptile
for $200.00 the ECX ruckus 2wd will be best for you easy to work on also and RPM makes some good hop up parts now for the ECX trucks, another good one but way harder to work on is the Arrma granite those are probably the 2 best cheap monster trucks.
Agreed on the ECX. I came here to post the same thing. I built one for my dad and another for my father in law, and they're great. It's not 4wd, but to be honest, it doesn't give much up. The Ruckuses (rucki?) that I built were 1st gen trucks, and the tires that those come with are surprisingly grippy. Dad's Ruckus was just as capable going up rocks and hills as my 4x4 Stampede was with the stock Talon tires. The longer wheelbase on the Ruckus also makes it much more stable, and way less prone to traction rolling. Or maybe that's the lousy servo that helps with traction roll. Either way, it's a super fun truck to drive, to the extent that I want one for myself because I like using it more than my P4de. I had some issues with durability early on, but once I addressed the weak spots (plastic trans gears and weak axle shafts on the 1st gens) they've been bullet proof. The torture that my dad and my son put their ECXs through is remarkable, and the only issues we ever have is for suspension/steering links to pop off.

I see no better value in the sub-$200 range.