Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation on Basher

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Questions?? Recommendation on Basher

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a large wheeled truggy I can use for bashing with my two young sons. I have got back into the RC world after a 20 year absence, I started with the right priorities by getting myself a B5M for some amateur competition at the local SDRC club. This forum has helped a great deal to get me back up to date with the knowledge and current trends.

With that said, both my sons are fascinated already with the AE car, far quicker than I expected as they are 3 and 2. Means with a heavy heart () I need to look at getting a recreational car so we can have some fun as a family. So here are my requirements;
  • No budget, doesnt mean bottomless but dont want it to drive selection.
  • Has to be a kit, means it rules out Traxxas I guess but I have the transmitter already and I like the build and the electronics selection myself.
  • Terrain can be any of the following; beach/sand, creek, grass parks I can avoid the tarmac if needed as I know fixed diffs will mean I will be rolling on that surface.
  • From reading around I do like the Axial series of cars, especially the Wraith's and Yeti's.
  • Looking at 1/10th scale.

Really after that large wheeled truggy look, I remember bashing with a friend in the early 90's, I had a Tamiya Vanquish whilst he ploughed around in a Tamiya Monster Beetle. I dont need to be nostalgic here as things have moved on but wanted that big wheeled blast around feel. I think going Short Course truck wouldn't quite get me that water & dirt proof experience.

Anyway looking forward to all the feedback.

Moderators, happy for this to be moved into Crawlers, wasnt sure if this was best there or here.

Cheers
Old 06-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Tech Champion

For kids crawlers are a good idea.. Truggies , MT's etc are too fast and crazy. I personally prefer the craziness and speed, and always rolled my eyes at crawlers. I recently played with one though, crawling over a course I made in the yard out of old wood and boxes etc, and it was good fun. It's a more relaxing type of RC fun, and better around small kids IMO... The Axials look cool, and as far as I can tell, are the standard..
Old 06-08-2015, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Axial Yeti w some NiMH batteries and your kids will be in for hours of fun. Throw in a lipo and suddenly you're having fun too...seems like a good match? Build friendly, gazillions of upgrades for tinkering and it looks cool too... The Wraith will be a whole lot of "Dad, I turned and it tipped over...and why is it sooooooooo slow?". More of a scaler/pure crawler IMO. Yeti is the better of both worlds.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have a 1/10 yeti and love it... It's a snail on 2s but isn't that bad on 3s...its slower than my stock brushed stampede...
Old 06-08-2015, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks all, seems I was on the right track with the Yeti then!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

The yeti would be my first choice here too. It looks like a pretty versatile ride and I've heard they are pretty strong. Other than the yeti the only other kit trucks I can think of are the old school Tamiya re releases.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For the kids, ecx circuit 4wd or ruckus 4wd. I have two of the circuits and they are freaking tuff. I got it for my son when he was 5 last year, ended up getting a second for his friends that may come by. How they have both held up I have no freaking clue.

I have converted one to the traxxas valenion ( spell??? ) brushless and have upgraded the servo and the fun factor went through the roof. I needed to shim the duffs a bit better but that was being proactive. I only let him run it in training mode when he has friends over or there are a bunch of people, the first time I let him have it at 100% he was so giddy he kept doing donuts until one of the back tires blew apart. He hasn't done that again since he had to raid his fat piggy bank to fix his car himself this time.

He has graduated to a losi 2.0 truggy converted to brushless and now he has a yeti and a yeti xl. The ecx circuit and the latrax rally have really taught him throttle control, feathering and anticipating the outcome. He's only 6 so he still goes der ta derr every now and then but for the most part he is pretty good at both the indoor trac for the rally and the 1:8 scale outdoor track as well.

Traxxas is another good entry bash vehicle with parts o plenty...
Old 06-10-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rob4607
For the kids, ecx circuit 4wd or ruckus 4wd. I have two of the circuits and they are freaking tuff. I got it for my son when he was 5 last year, ended up getting a second for his friends that may come by. How they have both held up I have no freaking clue.

I have converted one to the traxxas valenion ( spell??? ) brushless and have upgraded the servo and the fun factor went through the roof. I needed to shim the duffs a bit better but that was being proactive. I only let him run it in training mode when he has friends over or there are a bunch of people, the first time I let him have it at 100% he was so giddy he kept doing donuts until one of the back tires blew apart. He hasn't done that again since he had to raid his fat piggy bank to fix his car himself this time.

He has graduated to a losi 2.0 truggy converted to brushless and now he has a yeti and a yeti xl. The ecx circuit and the latrax rally have really taught him throttle control, feathering and anticipating the outcome. He's only 6 so he still goes der ta derr every now and then but for the most part he is pretty good at both the indoor trac for the rally and the 1:8 scale outdoor track as well.

Traxxas is another good entry bash vehicle with parts o plenty...
Thanks Rob, great feedback, especially how your son is getting on with the driving skills, means my eldest might be close to having a direct go in the next 12 months all being well.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Any recommendations on electronics guys for the Yeti?

I was thinking waterproofing originally but due to the compromises I am not going to now as I would prefer a sensored brushless system.

Looking for ESC / Motor combo recommendations and servo too.

Its my first Rock Racer / off roader so I know we need to look for robustness, torque over speed.

cheers
Old 06-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)

Deleted..ops wrong forum
Old 06-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bizarrefish
Any recommendations on electronics guys for the Yeti?

I was thinking waterproofing originally but due to the compromises I am not going to now as I would prefer a sensored brushless system.

Looking for ESC / Motor combo recommendations and servo too.

Its my first Rock Racer / off roader so I know we need to look for robustness, torque over speed.

cheers
Go with something low kv that can handle 3s. That way you can run the nimhs for your kids, and have some fun on 3s for yourself. Velineon System would be an excellent choice and it's super easy to use and overly reliable. I don't personally "prefer" it, but for this application it would be ideal.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

For bashing I say stampede 4x4.brushless of course. I won't recommend the velineon system tho. Just not a fan. But if you are really wanting waterproof try the hobby wing wps8a.is waterproof out of the box and under 100.is 2 to4s capable. I own one. In my stampede now. Beast of a controller. Never had a great issue even when running my mad beast (savage xl clone)on 4s.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lemonader83
Go with something low kv that can handle 3s. That way you can run the nimhs for your kids, and have some fun on 3s for yourself. Velineon System would be an excellent choice and it's super easy to use and overly reliable. I don't personally "prefer" it, but for this application it would be ideal.
Did you say velineon and reliable in the same sentence? There not sensored and I think the motor couldn't handle a yeti... Mine over heats in a slash on 3s no mater what gearing....
Old 06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chadj1980
Did you say velineon and reliable in the same sentence? There not sensored and I think the motor couldn't handle a yeti... Mine over heats in a slash on 3s no mater what gearing....
Wow...lots of hate on the velineon system. IMO it is one of the better stock brushless combos you can get, and it's cheap. But hey, I don't run them either so what do I know?

My buddies who don't have the cash to go aftermarket love and swear by the velineon....but I agree, if u have the coin, buy something way better!

Sensored tho? Who cares...?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by lemonader83
Wow...lots of hate on the velineon system. IMO it is one of the better stock brushless combos you can get, and it's cheap. But hey, I don't run them either so what do I know?

My buddies who don't have the cash to go aftermarket love and swear by the velineon....but I agree, if u have the coin, buy something way better!

Sensored tho? Who cares...?
He said he wanted a sensored system...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.