Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you use your Monster Truck for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What do you use your Monster Truck for?

Hello all,

Little background on me, monster truck's were my first RC's. My dad and older brother had TMaxx's and I had the Nitro Stampede. This was WAY back in the day of companies like MSJ and RD Racing Products. Mostly all we did with out trucks was jump them on the bike jumps and drag race.

Since those days I fell out of RC for a long time but over the past year or two I have gotten in to the racing scene and LOVE it. Nostalgia and sentimentality have kicked in as of late. My dad passed a little over 7 years ago and I've been wanting to get newer versions of the rigs we used to love. I already picked up the 22t 2.0 (we used to bash a Losi XXX-NT Sport) and my next one up was the T-Maxx since I don't believe the Thunder Tiger EK-4 is in existence anymore (he LOVED having the biggest truck around hahaha).

Anyway, I'm just curious what everybody actually does with these things now. How much do actually tune or adjust outside of the carburetor? If I get a T-Maxx, should I consider changing the shocks, driveshafts, what about gearing?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been out of the monster truck game for a long time!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Addict

I use my savage flux for ripping around the track (not actually racing) and dirt pile type bashing.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Shawner85
I use my savage flux for ripping around the track (not actually racing) and dirt pile type bashing.
x2

i use my associated rival for bashing around in the yard, at an outdoor track, and mainly large open areas with jumps and such
Old 05-13-2015, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yup, everything that they said. Beating on it, and for letting somebody else get behind the controller of a 'hobby grade' RC.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:27 PM
Tech Regular

All of my clods are setup for racing. I also have a ERevo, but dont really consider it a monster truck. There is nothing realistic about it. It is sitting idle. Local track doesnt run them anymore, too many people cant drive bigger vehicles and bystanders were getting hit by them. Not good at all.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Thefoodman52
Yup, everything that they said. Beating on it, and for letting somebody else get behind the controller of a 'hobby grade' RC.
I will second this. However my dad seems to enjoy running into trees or parked cars when I hand him my controller. Thank god for RPM parts.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

One of my Emaxx gets used for trail driving. Slow speeds with lots of big rocks and stuff to drive over. I get 2-3 hours of driving out of the batteries keeping it in first gear.

My other one gets driven at high speeds around a field near my house. Nobody races monster trucks anymore.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Tech Regular

Unfortunately no more racing anywhere here for monster trucks, either. My Kyosho is for a scale driving experience and usually gets driven slower over rough terrain. I do beat on it from time to time but it is a tame truck and not too hard to hold down. The T Maxx gets beat to hell and ran mostly at very high speeds through anything I can find. I had to thoroughly bullet proof it before I could beat on it the way I do and not break it all the time. It is also not very tame at all and very difficult to control under full throttle.

The newest T Maxx is pretty well built for the most part. The first thing I'd replace is the steering servo and I'd install a 6 volt NiCD or NiMH receiver pack instead of the AA batteries. I have gone to the receiver packs on all my trucks now and it is much better than using AA batteries. After that I'd run it and beef it up as parts break.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have a brushless stampede 4x4. And I use it simply to put a smile on my face. Rough terrain pavement jumps soften the springs and trail ride/crawl.oh and to chase traffic up the street. I also let the neighborhood kiddos run it when they get brave enough to ask lol. Now my beast is mine and no one drives it but me. And it gets brutalized. Jumps standing backflip stopee front flips whatever I can make it do. But no racing for them here.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:52 AM
Tug
Tech Apprentice

I got back into RC after racing MTs had stopped, such a shame as their characteristics must've made them great fun to race!

My favourite use of them is trail-walking, 4, 5 or 6S, mash the throttle between obstacles, climb over said obstacle, then it's back on the gas!

OK, so an MT can't compete with a Truggy, but an MT is so much fun to drive! It has more character because it's less efficient round a track, but the Truggy is a little cold in that respect, it does things too well.

The MT has visual presence too, they can, and do, look awesome!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Make them look good

Old 05-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Lol I watched one of the older MT races on YT the other day. It was absolute chaos lol. But it looked like fun. The turn marshalls were panting by the end, constant major pileups, but no one was hurt lol.

Mine probably about 60-70% yard and street, and maybe 20-30% off road and a huge dirt pile nearby.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ausprime
Make them look good

Besides being badArse looking, what is that? TVP plates on something i don't recognize.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

I used to go to the track allot in my younger days , it has been years , time has passed and now I am older but still a kid at heart , they don't even race Mt's at the tracks anymore . Since than I have built buggies , super fast on road cars and truggies but they all never did what I truly wanted. Coming back to Monster Trucks has fixed my itch for excitement. They are tough , all terrain and I like building mine fast. I can take it onroad , off-road , to the beach , hills , curbs , water and snow. I can almost do anything with it. I use it for bashing and pure excitement , brings me back to my childhood days and saves me money Bc they are so much cheaper than my real life size vehicle. ausprime that truck is beautiful , enjoy it to the fullest. I love a powerhouse like that esp with some savage style tvp's.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cmbscx10
Besides being badArse looking, what is that? TVP plates on something i don't recognize.
It's a Maxx truck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.