Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Yeti 1/10 or XL kit. Conversion to nitro, is it possible? >

Yeti 1/10 or XL kit. Conversion to nitro, is it possible?

Yeti 1/10 or XL kit. Conversion to nitro, is it possible?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default Yeti 1/10 or XL kit. Conversion to nitro, is it possible?

Hi, guys. I'm thinking to get a Yeti XL or 1/10 kit, except I'm a little bit different
I would like to make it... nitro. Because nitro rules!! Well, for me, anyway. No offence to anyone. But I just converted to brushless my old/vintage Tamiya Nitro Crusher (only for wintertime, to go indoors with it) and it sucks. No fun at all without the smell, the noise and dirty hands
However, I do have some issues: will I be able to install a nitro engine? I suppose I will, but the real problem will be, I think, the throttle/brake servo and especially the brake disc. I only saw pictures of these cars, so it's a little bit difficult to say what can or can't be done.
Now, I suppose all of you guys knows how a nitro powered car should look like. What do you say, is it feasible what I want to do? I LOVE the look of Yeti, both 1/10 and XL and I was thinking XL would give me a little bit more room to do all the transformations, even I would have preferred the 1/10 because of the price
So, I would like to hear as many opinions, pro and cons both for 1/10 and XL. Thanks everybody
Old 02-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i think it would be a lot easier room wise if you went with the XL, it's much bigger. but the layout might be a problem, there isn't a ton of room to get custom with it from what i've seen. i don't have one so i don't know for sure but I have looked at it a couple of times and space seems to be pretty tight. then again going with the XL would mean you'd also need a bigger engine, negating the fact that you have more room... ha.. i'd say go look at one at the LHS and see how possible it would be. I guess anything is possible if you have the motivation and money. it would be a very cool project.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

We ain't got an Axial dealer in Romania, unfortunately. That's why I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this project. The main problem is the disc brake, I don'k know if it's possible/enough room to connect to the drive shafts. I was even thinking to install 1/5th scale brakes, but again, I don't know if there is enough room inside the wheels, although maybe I'll have to install 2 servos.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Is it possible? Yes. But it's not going to be easy. The reason is because both the Yeti and Yeti XL use a plastic chassis that is kinda thick with reinforcements and is multilevel. To convert to nitro you'd need to make a flat aluminum chassis plate that also includes mounting points for the rear suspension, upper shock mounts, cage etc. Have a look at the exploded views in Axials instructions (available on axial's site) to see what you'd have to replicate.

If you do all of that you'll have a blank slate to work from. Now adding a brake disc to the existing transmission isn't the best idea, the easiest would be to go with a 1/8 nitro buggy style center differential with brakes. It's compact, has everything built in and ready to go. You'd still have to figure out the center driveshafts, possibly a custom exhaust (due to room) and where to mount fuel tank, receiver pack, etc.

In short, it's a totally custom job. Lots of custom parts that need to be made.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

It may be possible to make an aluminum plate that sits on top of the stock chassis instead of making an entirely new chassis. The stock plastic chassis is not flat and has reinforcement ribs and definitely isn't conducive to bolting down a nitro motor of the center differential I mentioned in my last post. But if you can make an aluminum plate to bolt everything to and bolt that to the plastic chassis that could save a bunch of work and re-engineering especially in the rear with the upper shock and cage mounts.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

I see... I was thinking to mount the nitro engine, somehow, on the existing motor mount. I don't know if it's possible. But I understand what you say about the aluminium plate on top of existing plastic chassis. And that means I'll definitively need a new transmission (you said it's not a good idea to keep the existing transmission - why?). It's not the best option for me, but will save a lot work disk brake wise.
Actually, maybe not! I can rise the existing transmission box on the new aluminium plate, so I'll probably get the desired space for brake disk. And the remaining problem might be (or not) the drive shafts, some MIP or RC4WD, depending of the length difference (I suppose it won't be so big, maybe a few millimeters) . I need to see all the pictures I can get.
Some good points, overdriven, thanks, keep them coming

PS I would really appreciate some high resolution pictures of he chassis, if anybody's got any!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Elite

Space for the brake disc isn't the biggest issue and neither is getting it mounted to the output shaft of the trans. A TMaxx/Revo brake disc with the front TMaxx/Revo center drive cup could probably mount the the disc easily enough. The bigger issue is a way to squeeze the brake disc, there's no provisions for mounting brake pads or the brake lever on the Axial transmission. You already know how electric motors mount, the Yeti's use a mount that's attached to the trans not the chassis. You'd need a custom machined mount and likely a custom clutchbell to get a nitro motor to work with the stock yeti transmission.

A 1/8 buggy style center diff is the most compact option to replace the trans and get brakes. Maybe another trans from a TMaxx or other Monster truck could work in the Yeti XL chassis fairly easily, I don't know.

Center shafts. The rear should be easy enough to extend is need as you'd just splice together a couple of the plastic shafts. The front cvd is harder as the pinion for the front differential is basically built into it. If it needed to be extended the easiest thing to is cut it in half and use a sleeve welded in the middle to extend them.

Parts are showing up on eBay and elsewhere. Have a look in the manual online at Axial's site to get the part numbers and just search the web for the part numbers to see better pictures of the parts.

Last edited by Overdriven; 02-27-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

A much easier solution to all this is probably to start with a 1/8 buggy. Make a custom chassis plate that moves the motor and center diff forward. Cut off the rear of the chassis and mount the Yeti rear axle and suspension links. Mount the Yeti body and cage, put some bigger tires on it and call it a day. The custom parts to make the conversion possible, namely the rear center shaft and the mounts for the rear suspension will be cheaper to make than the custom parts required to convert an actual Yeti to nitro.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

Lots to ruminate. I'll have to print both manuals and see what suits me best. I checked at dollarhobbyz. you can get a HPI or Mugen chassis at about $20 (or even $10) and same a transmission. I'll see tomorrow, it's late now and I'm too tired to think
Old 03-03-2015, 08:06 AM
Tech Adept

Can you think at any reason not to install a Savage x4.6 transmission? All that I can think of is the total length of combined engine+transmission, but I don't think it will be much of an issue. Only have to change the front dogbone with a shorter one and maybe some kind of elongation for rear drive shaft. I've done this already on my Mad Force
Attached Thumbnails Yeti 1/10 or XL kit. Conversion to nitro, is it possible?-cam01025.jpg   Yeti 1/10 or XL kit. Conversion to nitro, is it possible?-cam01023.jpg