Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic" >

SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic"

SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic"

Old 01-20-2015, 10:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic"

I've recently acquired a Savage FLUX HP, and after driving it around a couple of local bike parks, I've decided it's time for some upgrades. I've ordered the majority of it already. I'm just waiting for the last of the numerous shipments to arrive. I thought I'd post what I'm planning, and follow my build here. Let me know what you think!

Upgrades:

Chassis
TCS 5mm XL Chassis for the HPI Savage Flux HP - Blue
*See Drivetrain section below for details on 142mm XL Dogbone
Alza Racing Bulkhead Brace
RPM Nylon A-Arms
RPM A-Arms Left Front/Right Rear Savage X and Flux Blue #82015
RPM A-Arms Right Front/Left Rear Savage X and Flux Blue #82005
** Note that these include 2 upper arms. One is 0 degree camber, the other is 2 degree camber
Integy Savage Heavy Duty Rear Hub Carrier #T6979 - Blue
HPI Heavy Duty Suspension Shaft #86156
-or-
TCS Crawlers 4mm Bolt Upgrade for Integy Rear Hub Carrier (T6979) HPI Savage Flux HP
GPM Aluminum Steering Assembly - SAX1048
#B045 STEERING UPGRADE SET (6x10x3mm BALL BEARING/4pcs)
#102522 - HEAVY DUTY SERVO SAVER SPRING 21x12x1.9mm 4.5COILS
HPI SWAY BAR MOUNT #102520 - This is to keep the upper A-Arm pins from slipping out.
Racers Edge Aluminum Pro Servo Horn SAVOX/Futaba Black # RCE10380BK
Smooth out openings on battery boxes to prevent damage to Venom 3s Soft Pack LiPos [DONE]
Drivetrain
HPI HD DRIVE GEAR 18-23 TOOTH (1M) #102514
Pinion - Running Stock 20t HPI pinion. May need to change this once the new mods are added. The extra weight may cause heat.
HPI Heavy Duty Cup Joint 8x14x19 #86277 - These are for the Transmission
HPI Heavy Duty Cup Joint 6x13x20 #86276 - These are for the Diffs
HPI Ceramic slipper plates #
Kershaw Designs Heavy Duty Slipper Spring - Fully Tighten
HPI Racing Wheelbase Conversion Set Savage Flux #102404
HPI #86054 - DOGBONE 8x142mm (BLACK)
#86249 - SUPER HEAVY DUTY WIDE AXLE 8x11x59mm
Suspension
Shocks - [NOTES]
Build and install 8x Aluminum Big Bore Shocks #A720
Fill shocks with 30wt oil. Stock oil too thin.
Put rubber bumpstop just below spring retainer on inner front shocks to allow for steering knuckle clearance.
Springs
HPI Hellfire Springs [Not sure which springs to use]
#86551 Shock Springs - 18x80x1.8mm - 14.5mm Coils - 134GF/MM (Pink)
#86553 Shock Springs - 18x80x1.8mm - 12.5mm Coils - 159GF/MM (White)
#86554 Shock Springs - 18x80x1.8mm - 11.5mm Coils/ 177GF/MM (Yellow)
#86555 Shock Springs - 18x80x1.8mm - 10.5mm Coils/ 196GF/MM (Red)
Tires
Pro-Line Trencher 3.8" (40 Series) Tires (#1160)
Tech 5 (#2722) Wheels
Electronics
ESC
TCS Crawlers Savage Flux XL ESC Hold down for use with Traxxas Bracket
Traxxas Mamba Monster ESC Hold Down Bracket #TRA5626
GPM Aluminum Main Chassis Mount - Blue
GoPro
Install several GoPro mount points for various angles
Would Be Nice
Spare screw set.Aftermarket Servo Plate w/ Radio Box
Alza Racing - Single Servo Plate
-or-
Platinum Products Carbon Fiber Servo Plate (PRC 194)
RPM Reciever Box #80052
-or-
Traxxas Waterproof Receiver Box #????
Old 01-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I’ve tested several options for the XL myself. Some remarks:

TCS Crawler chassis:
Pros: Nice finish, strong, optional ESC bracket
Cons: Heavy, poor fitment, anodizing scrubs off, no skid plate available

Good choice with the Bulkhead Brace, SWAY BAR MOUNT and HD SERVO SAVER SPRING! I prefer a center diff, but this all depends on your driving of course. 8 shocks just add weight in my opinion.
Anyway, there’s no definitive approach! Looking forward to some pictures
Old 01-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by xirton
Iíve tested several options for the XL myself. Some remarks:

TCS Crawler chassis:
Pros: Nice finish, strong, optional ESC bracket
Cons: Heavy, poor fitment, anodizing scrubs off, no skid plate available

Good choice with the Bulkhead Brace, SWAY BAR MOUNT and HD SERVO SAVER SPRING! I prefer a center diff, but this all depends on your driving of course. 8 shocks just add weight in my opinion.
Anyway, thereís no definitive approach! Looking forward to some pictures
The sway bar mount is to hold in the pins for the upper a arms. Not actually going to be installing a sway bar. Just the mount. As for the shocks, I'm going for big air jumps. I have a local bmx track AND a mountain bike Park within 5mins of my house. Just want to bash and fly. I figured more dampening could only help absorb impact. I have a few videos of it jumping in stock layout, but I'll be installing the upgrades as soon as they all arrive. Definitely keep you posted! Thanks for the input!
Old 01-21-2015, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It sounds like you are putting together the exact truck I have except mine is standard wheelbase. I run duratrax hatchets which are awesome. I am still running the stock suspension arms too. I just installed the alza center diff kit but have yet to test it due to weather. You will have to let me know about the steering assembley it's one of only a few stock parts left on my truck. It should be a nice build for you when you are done.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghonda99
It sounds like you are putting together the exact truck I have except mine is standard wheelbase. I run duratrax hatchets which are awesome. I am still running the stock suspension arms too. I just installed the alza center diff kit but have yet to test it due to weather. You will have to let me know about the steering assembley it's one of only a few stock parts left on my truck. It should be a nice build for you when you are done.
Yeah, GPM stuff is questionable as far as strength goes, but I figured I would give it a shot. If it breaks, I'll still have the stock set as backup. Are you running 8 big bore shocks as well? I have no idea what the best setup would be as far as springs, but I have a variety of them, so I'll just have to test it out I guess. I thought about the center diff setup, but I don't have any issues keeping the wheels planted on 6s as is. I Drift 1/10 at a local track, so the throttle finger is pretty nimble. Lol. Remember that I'm not Racing. Just big air, all day long.
(I already bent, then broke the stock 2.5mm TVPs.)
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just run the stock bigbore shocks with stock springs and have yet to do a fluid change on the shocks. They work pretty good no complaints about handling or with jumps. Ive jumped off of 20 foot high dirt piles and it just kept going. The real reason I did the center diff mod is because it is supposed to help with durability. I only run 4s and had a big problem snapping rear diff pinion gears. 6s would probably be even worse. The center diff is supposed to absorb the shock and not trasmit it to the pinion gears. Only time will tell if that is true or not but everything I have read on it everybody loves it.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Unfortunately the savage is just a heavy truck in general. Adding more weight along with your TCS plates is a terrible idea. Keep everything as close to stock as you can because this is not a precision truck, and you even said that it's not for racing. If you want a truck with tight tolerances and good steering, this is not a the truck for you nor is it wise to spend hundreds of $ in parts to try (and fail) to achieve that. The GPM steering linkages is probably a bad idea, but you can try it.

As for the rest of your parts, I think 4 big bores is plenty if you get slightly stiff springs and put some thick oil in. I think I put 50wt in mine and there's plenty of dampening for my average sized jumps. The amount of money you just spent on the tranny could have easily paid for the center diff from Alza. I cannot recommend this part enough because it's simply required for any powerful truck. Sway bars don't do jack shit in my opinion considering the weight of your truck thus far. The RPM arms seem to be good parts however I don't like how exposed the bottom eyelets of the shocks are. I might have to buy a set of RPM arms to try out though.

MISC thoughts:
I never had problems with the stock bulkhead braces though I don't jump my truck really high. I think the integy axle carriers are pretty much a must for this truck though I wish there were more options out there considering the following of the Savage line. It seems we only have Integy and HPI.

I highly recommend just buying some carbon fiber and cutting out a radio/servo plate. PRC takes a while to answer, but send them an email as well. I also highly recommend carbon fiber chassis plates and motor plate if you don't go with the center diff option. It stiffens up the truck a bit and it looks nice.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RepEvox
Unfortunately the savage is just a heavy truck in general. Adding more weight along with your TCS plates is a terrible idea. Keep everything as close to stock as you can because this is not a precision truck, and you even said that it's not for racing. If you want a truck with tight tolerances and good steering, this is not a the truck for you nor is it wise to spend hundreds of $ in parts to try (and fail) to achieve that. The GPM steering linkages is probably a bad idea, but you can try it.

As for the rest of your parts, I think 4 big bores is plenty if you get slightly stiff springs and put some thick oil in. I think I put 50wt in mine and there's plenty of dampening for my average sized jumps. The amount of money you just spent on the tranny could have easily paid for the center diff from Alza. I cannot recommend this part enough because it's simply required for any powerful truck. Sway bars don't do jack shit in my opinion considering the weight of your truck thus far. The RPM arms seem to be good parts however I don't like how exposed the bottom eyelets of the shocks are. I might have to buy a set of RPM arms to try out though.

MISC thoughts:
I never had problems with the stock bulkhead braces though I don't jump my truck really high. I think the integy axle carriers are pretty much a must for this truck though I wish there were more options out there considering the following of the Savage line. It seems we only have Integy and HPI.

I highly recommend just buying some carbon fiber and cutting out a radio/servo plate. PRC takes a while to answer, but send them an email as well. I also highly recommend carbon fiber chassis plates and motor plate if you don't go with the center diff option. It stiffens up the truck a bit and it looks nice.
I understand that it's a heavy truck. I also know i'm adding a bunch of weight to it, which is partly why I'm going the 8 big bore route. More Suspension can't be bad when dealing with heavy vehicles. physics proves that. I'm going to start off with 30wt oil on all 8, and go from there. Remember that I'm doing big air, on a heavy truck. I'm looking to fully utilize the entire Suspension travel. Seen many people who stuff in the heaviest springs and thickest oil, and it pogos around. As it stands, the only thing I bought for the tranny was the HD Drive Gear. I'll try it out with the stock tranny setup, and if i start breaking stuff I'll take a closer look at the center diff option.
It's going to have the xl axles to widen it a bit as well. This should help a bit with the 3.8" trencher.
I got a savox 1283sg for it today. I don't think the stock servo does very well as is. The savox has 5x the torque. (30kg/cm). It doesn't need tight tolerance, it just needs to hit the jump straight, and land without breaking. I'll definitely let you know about the durability of the GPM steering assembly.
I have sent an email regarding the servo plate. Still waiting to hear back. Thanks for the heads up on the reply times. I was feeling ignored. Lol.

I have posted a video of the jumps I've been doing with the stock setup, and that'll give you a better idea of where/how I run it.
YouTube - http://youtu.be/cPMb3qc-0fk
Thanks for the input!

How solid is the motor mount on the alza cd Kit? It doesn't seem to have much support on the back of the motor... Got pics of yours?

Last edited by SeeGee911; 01-24-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

These are a few I posted on this forum before:

It's very solid however a 1717 sized motor almost touches the outputs on the center diff so I have to play around with spurs/pinions to create a large enough gap.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Tech Adept

Very nice build!
Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Super 5sc Bumper

I've decided to order up the parts to throw on the front bumper from the super 5sc (thanks to wrong17 for his fantastic writeup!). It looks to be a much beefier setup than the stock Savage, and I've already snapped the screws out of the default setup. I'll leave the rear bumper stock, but drill it out and put in some longer m4 screws with a nut. The front body posts will end up further forward than normal, but that should be OK.

On that note, I Picked up a proline blockbuster SCT body for some gopro action . The length is going to work just fine on the xl TVPs, but I may have to trim the fenders a bit for tire clearance. Not sure what colours to paint it though...
Old 01-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, got almost everything put together. Coming along nicely.
Will submit photos when I get back from afros.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:25 AM
Tech Regular

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the build
Old 02-04-2015, 01:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Assembled

Ok, here's a few photos of where I'm at. It's pretty much complete. Just waiting on the parts for the 5SC bumper.

Here's the Photo Album. Just a few shots I took along the way. Probably should have taken more photos, but i was into it.

I put 8 white springs all around. Dropped it from 6.5ft and it just ate the impact. Landed smooth, no bounce, no bottom out. I decided to start with Whites because the truck is heavy. I wont know until I can hit the jumps with it, and unfortunately the weather here has been wet and rainy...

I am now finished masking the shell. Went with a Pro-Line Blockbuster SCT body (For some healthy GoPro action!). Fits really well. Only had to do some minor modification to the front and rear corners to get proper wheel clearance, but overall, i think it's going better than expected. Hopefully I can have it painted by this weekend (Supposedly the weather will be better. Not betting on it though.).

There's still a couple of things i'll have to work out. It seems that having 2 big bores on the RPM arms, causes a wee bit of rubbing between one of the springs, and the upper A-Arm. It doesnt impede the shock travel, nor the performance of the spring, it just causes about a 1mm deflection of the spring. I may be able to bring the bottom of the shock out from the A-Arm a bit with a spacer. I'll have to see what I can come up with. If I leave it, it will probably ruin the shock covers at worst.

Pretty much completely assembled:

This is the "Before" Picture. (Stock)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

Cool looking xl u have there! I'm doing my 3rd xl-build just now. Mainly shredding off some weight and improving steering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.