Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic" >

SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic"

SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic"

Old 02-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxxWrecker07
I had integy hexes... They suck. The pin bores wallow out and the hexes round off. I'm using got racing now and they're awesome. The only good integy parts are the rear carriers and bellcrank.
Hrmm. Well, they gotta be better than the stock pot metal ones that Exploded! They're already on their way, so I'll use them until they break, I guess. Could the stiff suspension have something to do with the snapped Axle? I understand that the pinhole naturally creates a weak point.

Do you have a link to the ones you're using?
Old 02-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SeeGee911
Hrmm. Well, they gotta be better than the stock pot metal ones that Exploded! They're already on their way, so I'll use them until they break, I guess. Could the stiff suspension have something to do with the snapped Axle? I understand that the pinhole naturally creates a weak point.

Do you have a link to the ones you're using?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/131411295204?nav=SEARCH

I've never snapped an axle so I can't be sure of the cause.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MaxxWrecker07
http://m.ebay.com/itm/131411295204?nav=SEARCH

I've never snapped an axle so I can't be sure of the cause.
Thanks! If I have to replace the integy hexes, I'll take your advice and go with these.

As for the suspension, I'm going to drop all 8 shocks back to pinks. I snapped an RPM lower A-Arm on a hard landing. Lost the dogbone as well. It disappeared completely. I'm starting to think that the suspension is not doing its job, and transferring the force to the suspension parts rather than actually absorbing the forces. It was an epic launch, and landed on all fours, but it still snapped.

I'll install the pinks this weekend when I replace the A-Arm and post the results here.

Last edited by SeeGee911; 02-23-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Tech Adept

Glad I could help!
Old 02-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by SeeGee911
I shattered a hex and snapped the rear Axle at the hex pin. I'm going to run with the stock axles in the rear, just because I have them. I'm waiting for the integy hexes....
I actually broke 3 out of the 4. These just suck. I decided to spoil myself and just bought a new pair of XL axles. Just because they were in stock at my LHS. Still waiting on the Integy hexes. I hate shipping to Canada. It always takes so long. (Shipments from Asia arrive twice as fast as shipments from the US. It's rediculous. Probably a byproduct of our governments paranoia. "It's aluminum, and has the word "radio" on the box, so it must be part of a terrorist plot! lol.)

I'm hoping my Alza CD will show up soon...
Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Sounds like the shocks are binding or the spring rates are too high (like you suspect). You must run your truck really hard to break the stuff you're talking about! Do you do any videos of the carnage? It sounds like they'd be fun to watch.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Alza stuff usually takes about a week once shipped. That is to New York. What part of Canada you in? I live outside of buffalo so Canada is only about a 30 min drive for me.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah, I've been pretty hard on it. I run it at a local mountain bike Park, which has some pretty serious jumps. The lower A-Arm was due to a 25ft vertical drop. I'm running white springs on all 8 shocks, and I don't get a lot of travel when landing. It certainly does not bottom out. When I switch to the softer springs, I'll let you know how that works out. As for the video, I was running with the gopro, but I haven't checked the footage to see if I recorded the impact...
Old 02-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You might want to try this diff gears:

http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?par...#ilikepictures

Much beefier than the stock gears and its spiral gears.. Heard lots of good feedbacks.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ok! I finally have good weather, and managed to run through two full sets of batteries yesterday without issue! It was an absolute blast. This thing drives like a whole new truck. Solid landings, big air, lots of power!

I put pinks on 6 of the 8 shocks, left a pair of whites on the inner front,as it's a bit heavier than the rear.

Still waiting for the CD Kit, but at this point everything is running really well. I popped a steering turnbuckle a couple of times on bad landings, but that's no problem. Better than breaking them.

Here's a video of the initial run.

Last edited by SeeGee911; 03-06-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I blew up the front diff again. Sigh. Eagerly awaiting the Alza CD Kit... I'm suspecting the pins in the diff are part of the problem. Twice I've opened up the diffs to find the pin shattered along with the bevel gear inside. Now the stock pins are 2.5mm x 12mm, but the slot in the bevel gear is ~14mm. I did grab a couple of 2.32mm rods "piano wire" and cut it to length. We'll see if it helps.

After opening up the diff again, this time it was pretty epic. The entire diff housing exploded. The spiders, and diff pinion survived with only minor abrasion on one of the spider gears. Not anything to worry about.
The housing itself literally exploded. As in the whole side blew out, and the heads of all 4 screws holding the spur on sheared completely off. Oh, and the bearing blew up. Sigh. Hopefully the CD will arrive soon!

Last edited by SeeGee911; 03-17-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys, I have been trying to find aluminium shock caps for A720 set, but cannt find anything. Its a good set but alum caps will be better. There is a set of 8 shocks from HPI but 8 is a bit too many I consider. May be you have experienced shocks from other manufactures that fit Savage?
Old 06-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Update.

Ok. Got the Alza CD in. Had some quality control issueswith the 10t pinion I started with. So I stuck a 9t on it (Kershaw has good customer service,and replaced it since). Running 50/500/50 oil. Things are going well.

Had to replace a couple of bearings... Ceramics are starting to look appealing...

The temps seem higher than when they were with the stock transmission however. Which is odd, considering the gear ratio is a wee bit lower now (I think...).

Bent a screw holding the turnbuckle to the steering assembly.

I know that I'm kicking the crap out of this thing, but that's why I got a Savage. Lol.

I think I'm going to start filming some of my runs again.