Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic" >

SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic"

SeeGee911's Savage Flux XL "Ballistic"

Old 02-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xirton
Cool looking xl u have there! I'm doing my 3rd xl-build just now. Mainly shredding off some weight and improving steering.
Got any tips on improving the steering? I know that you can shave the Knuckles a bit, but I've never seen pics of this in action. I'm sure a Google search would yield results, but I'm lazy. Lol
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can replace the bushings with bearings. Forgot what the size is, but the size is on hpi's website for the steering upgrade kit. It's 4 bearings but I just bought individual bearings from my Lhs. Also the hd servo saver spring is a must upgrade too. Other than those two things not sure what much else can be done.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well I've already done both of those, as well as upgraded to a Savox 1283 servo. I thought you were talking about modding the hubs for a tighter turning radius. My bad. (although one of the bearings I got was badly manufactured and wouldn't fit over the steering post, so I had to leave one bushing and used 3 bearings)
Old 02-06-2015, 02:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes, it's the horrible turning radius I'm addressing. I've already got CVDs, but the hubs and knuckles need either be shaved or replaced. Aftermarket parts are on the way. Meanwhile I'm modding the stock ones. Here's the procedure:

Tutorial - How To Improve Your Savage's Steering
Old 02-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the link on the steering mod. I've done something similar on my Sprint 2 a long time ago, and it caused the Dogbones to start popping out when steering hard at speed. I'm curious if a similar situation may arise. I'm also wondering if it'll affect the strength of the knuckles... I'll hold off on it for now, as I have yet to take this thing out for its first run. When the truck was stock, I'd just punch the throttle and kick the rear out if I needed it to turn tighter.

Last night I installed the bumper assembly from the Super 5SC Flux. Worked out great (had to trim off a couple of tabs due to the Alza Bulkhead Braces). I'll add pics of it later.
Is your truck set up for jumping or Racing?
Old 02-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SeeGee911
I've done something similar on my Sprint 2 a long time ago, and it caused the Dogbones to start popping out when steering hard at speed. I'm curious if a similar situation may arise.
Yes, u need CVDs.

I'm also wondering if it'll affect the strength of the knuckles...
It might to some extent.

Last night I installed the bumper assembly from the Super 5SC Flux.
Is it for looks or better protection?

Is your truck set up for jumping or Racing?
It's a basher, big air
Old 02-07-2015, 11:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hmm. Can the cvds take the abuse? I'm more concerned with durability, thus the 5sc Bumper. It's rock solid. It actually looks kinda funny. Especially with the body. Between coats on the clear coat right now.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Tech Adept

I'm having no problems with the CVDs. They're superior by design, and just as beefy.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool. I'll look into it! I finished painting last night. Added the photos (pre-decals) to the photo album I shared in a previous post. Can't seem to add photos via mobile. At least not easily.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Heres a few photos of the paint job, without decals.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looking good man. Weird how the sct body fits the chassis so well. Look forward to seeing more videos.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks! I was looking at the hpi gigante at my LHS, but it was super thin (same thickness as stock Flux body). I had seen this Pro-Line Blockbuster body online, and it's dimensions were ok, but I wasn't sure about the added width, and wheel clearance. Turns out that my LHS had both bodies in stock, so I just put the sct body on the floor and put the gigante on top of it as a mockup... Much to my surprise, it looked like everything would work out. I had to modify the front and rear fenders for tire clearance, but I think I managed to keep it looking decent (considering the 'SCT on a monster truck with giant wheels' abomination that it is, lol). As far as I know, this is the first Savage with this on board GoPro ready shell. I searched the Internet high and low to find out if it could be done, and found the answer down the street. Yes, you can use a Pro-Line Blockbuster SCT body on a Savage XL. It actually works very well, and is made of thick lexan (0.6mm I think). You need to remove the rollbar, but the reinforced shell is almost tougher! I'm looking into putting a foam block between the transmission case and the bottom of the cockpit (under GoPro) to help stabilize/protect the camera.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

One of these days I have to do the MT with SC body like this....jeez that looks awesome!
Old 02-16-2015, 02:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I took it out, and things went well. Had a few problems with loose screws (I learned that thread lock is not optional on certain components. Ie. Steering Assembly) but then I think I blew up the spider gears in the front diff... I haven't had time to check it out, but from the behaviour of the wheels, it's my suspicion. More on that tonight. I may have the slipper on too tight. Running ceramic slipper with a kershaw Belleville spring, torqued down tight.. Might need to back it off a little. Any suggestions as to what the "proper" slip should be?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

The absolute best upgrade I ever installed on my Flux was the Alza center diff setup. It completely bullet-proofs the drivetrain. As for the slipper setting, I've always set that as tight as it will go. As for blowing out diffs, I found a bit heavier fluid helps... but in the front that creates steering issues, which you've already mentioned are an issue for your setup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.