Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Which STOCK MT has the BIGGEST/BEST SUSPENSION? >

Which STOCK MT has the BIGGEST/BEST SUSPENSION?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which STOCK MT has the BIGGEST/BEST SUSPENSION?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Which STOCK MT has the BIGGEST/BEST SUSPENSION?

Hey guys, if you're like me, the worst part of landing a big jump is the hop after the slap -just reminds me the jump was probably too big...and I don't like reminders. That hop comes from any number of things, but typically it's due to a lack of the appropriate shocks for the given vehicle or just plain too much air time. Obviously the only thing I can't change with an RTR set-up is travel length and shocks themselves without significant mods or a straight up replacement...and less air is simply not an option. The next part that comes into consideration is when looking at the whole layout...for example; does it articulate or just take big jumps? -or- how well do the shocks hold up to the jumps over time and do they indeed have enough adjustability to both ride well and take the big slams?

So....my question is what truck has the biggest/best suspension?

It doesn't hurt to mention more travel and bigger shocks have their pro's and con's, but from a raw measurement and jump/bump absorption standpoint, I'm curious...as a STOCK set-up, what do you all think?

My vote is for the Losi MT Series(LST1/2, XXL, Muggy), those shocks are SO BIG and the oil reserve seems to suck the landings right up, but not always...

Any other ideas?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Virtually all stock rtr shocks are mediocre and will at least require an oil change before being any good. There is no reason to not just replace them with better ones if you are planning on jumping more than the truck was designed for.

If I was to buy a vehicle based on shocks it would be a tough choice. Probably an E-revo or Summit. The stock shocks on those are really smooth, and work with the design of the vehicle to spread out the force from impacts.

Replaced my Emaxx shocks with traxxas big bores, and on the other with 8 UE supershocks. Both sets are really nice, and the UEs can handle massive jumps.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

That's a easy answer Losi LST xxl has the best and biggest stock shocks by far!!! Heck even upgraded shocks on all other MTS don't come close to stock on a Losi
Old 01-13-2015, 02:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jerryc1983
That's a easy answer Losi LST xxl has the best and biggest stock shocks by far!!! Heck even upgraded shocks on all other MTS don't come close to stock on a Losi
i agree with what he says for sure. the losi shocks are frwaking huge and they can really take a beating!!
i will say that from my experience, i really do like how the summits/revo/erevo suspension works and operates so smoothly. they are definitely not as strong as the losi but they can really absorb alot. i ran a nitro revo for about a year and about the same amount of time with a brushless summit. the extra weight of the summit body made it top heavy and not handle as well. all i did was add 50k weight to the rear shocks of the revo to help with the squatting and it jumped and landed like a dream!!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

I'm surprised savage owners aren't mentioning here....they seem to have a pretty plush ride, or even the MGT, both seem nice for "standard" sized shocks.

Completely agreed on the losi mt shocks, but I do wonder about some of the CENs too as they tend to have piggybacks which IMO makes a big difference
Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jerryc1983
+1

This has nothing to do with me owning one. It has massive shocks and only needs RPM arms to jump like a beast.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

The lst shocks are really massive. I own a savage flux hp and have never felt the big bores that come on it needed any help. I have had it for two years now and have yet to change the fluid, which I really should do. I use the stock springs and have the big tube spacer for preload and it never bottoms out.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've never seen the point of having piggyback shocks. Yeah, they hold extra oil but so what? Rather it holds an ounce of oil or a quart of oil, a piston is only going to travel as fast as its designed. Piggyback shocks are more for cosmetics in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Losi XXL all the way! I've beat the living snot out of mine for the past seven years and only broke a shock once! Plus the tuning spring options are beautiful (I run the RC Raven dual rate springs now). If you can find a set of Losi Orange springs, BUY THEM! I have a set and no, you can't have them! lol! They're stiff, yes, but they can handle the BIG jumps all day long!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Brandon1977
I've never seen the point of having piggyback shocks. Yeah, they hold extra oil but so what? Rather it holds an ounce of oil or a quart of oil, a piston is only going to travel as fast as its designed. Piggyback shocks are more for cosmetics in my opinion.
I agree they are typically known for cosmetic appeal, but don't think its all for show. That extra bit of "oil" is actually air in the reservoir and allows for load bearing beyond what the shock body istelf can contain. At least that's how it is in nicer piggybacks...some of the junkers from Integy might eb a different story. i.e. The air compresses rather than spewing oil out the shock bodies or possibly blowing a seal.

I continue to like the CEN line though, if you watch the videos it has alot more useful travel than something with a similar set up such as a Savage or T Maxx, IMO of course.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Correction...in this case, cen does use the piggy back for additional oil reserve.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Since my phone decided to triple post I guess I'll toss a few pics in.

Last edited by LosiMadMan; 01-14-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Old picture of my Modified LST2

Last edited by LosiMadMan; 01-14-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Stupid phone

Last edited by LosiMadMan; 01-14-2015 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r7ShT0iGs28

Check this vid out, soaks up every bump and jump....I can't help but think this is at least a close second

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.