Tamiya Trucks

Old 09-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tamiya Trucks

i have been thinking about getting the tamiya luchbox truck. i got looking at it and most of the other tamiya trucks and are they as cheaply built as they seem to look?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

For the most part...

Yes.

The Lunchbox was built on the "Space Age" chassis with durability in mind. It is cool to look at, and alright to drive, but it's list of features haven't changed from when the truck was origionaly designed well over 10 years ago. It isn't at all race worthy, even by accident. It is pretty slow and ponderous, and has one of the most outlandish tranny's I've ever had the fortune of working on. I mean this thing is HUGE! The diff gear is larger than some spurs!

It is a fun little truck to either leave on a shelf or tool around the backyard with. They can be made to go fast, but they won't like it one bit. If it's reasonably priced I'd say go for it, otherwise wait till you see something with a little bit more potential. My blackfoot was actually an accident. I got it for the Speed Gems it came with, and the cool shocks it had. Other than that it was just a $25 pile. Someday when I'm done with everything else I'll take it out, hose it down and build a factory stock Tamiya Blackfoot with parts from eBay, but for now I think I'm all set.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 AM
Tech Regular

it would spend most of its life on the shelf. But for only $95 on tower with motors and esc it could be just fun fun toy. i think it looks to nice to drive lol
Old 09-21-2005, 02:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Excluding the TNX, it's best to stay away from Tamiya off-road products for racing purposes.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:27 AM
Tech Regular

ohh i wouldnt race it.. it would be a "toy".
Old 09-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yep, a lot of people such as myself enjoy collecting vintage Tamiyas. Don't know why, it's some sort of sickness or something. Once you get one, you gotta have 'em all. My Astute is a shelf queen (Note the lack of a setup on it in my signature), and I'm sure more will join it (Top Force, Rising Storm, Avante and maybe a Super Clodbuster if I'm lucky).
Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 AM
Tech Regular

i still have the old midnight pumkin even. just dont have the body anymore