Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Arcing/Glitching Problem >

Arcing/Glitching Problem

Arcing/Glitching Problem

Old 09-15-2005, 01:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Arcing/Glitching Problem

Hey Guys,

I finally got my TXT-1 back together and it's playing up on me!

I have installed a Super Rooster and 2x 17T Venom Fireball motors in parrallel, I use Venom 3300mah packs and everything is wired up using Deans plugs. The problem is when I use reverse the Motors jerk and change direction, or it has a spastic, the steering sometimes glitches when i put it in reverse also! When this happens you can see a spark coming from where the brushes contact the comm. So I went through and re-wired the motors, installed capacitors and checked everything, everything seems fine, but it still does it, sometime's worse than others! This is really annoying me because I feel I've done all I can do, I've called a hobbyshop and they said it might have something to do with the aluminium ladder frame causing interference, but it can't be because It still happens when i run it out of the truck? Dunno, I hope some of you might be able to help me with this problem? I can't take it to a hobbyshop because the closest one is 2 days drive away.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by 4x4xfar; 09-15-2005 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds like unwanted Rf interference. Try changing the position and orientation of your Receiver.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Are you using a schottky diode? If so, get it off there. I assume you don't have a schottky on there, but I had to mention it.

Next, check the timing on your motors. If I were you, I would keep them at a maximum of 10 degrees. You have to consider that in reverse, your timing is reversed, and that 20 degrees of timing then becomes 20 degrees of retarded timing, and will make wierd crap happen.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:33 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Horatio
Sounds like unwanted Rf interference. Try changing the position and orientation of your Receiver.

You are patially right, the RF interference is likely coming from the arcing, which produces stray waves, that then find their way into the antenna.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

If he's used Schottky Diodes, they'll have blown once he put it in reverse.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Suspended

If he's used Schottky Diodes, they'll have blown once he put it in reverse.
True, but that could still be a source of glitches, but not the whole problem.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm not using Schottky Diodes, I was informed that that was a BIG NO NO with Reversible ESC's. I have three capacitors installed as per the Novak instructions.

I tried moving the ESC and Reciever as far away from each other as possible to no avail.

The timing of the motors is set to 0 degrees, should that be alright?

On another forum a guy said it could be something as simple as replacing my transmitter batteries, so I'll try that tonight.

Thanks again

Dave
Old 09-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Master

Keep the reciever away from the servo as well. Servo, especially metal geared ones, cause intereference when they operate. Seeing as how this issue only occurs in reverse, I am not sure if it is entirely the fault of inteference. I would run anywhere from 4 to 7 degrees of timing on a mod like that. The Venom Firebal modifieds are budget modifieds. They are a litle cheaper than a good Speed Gems or Reedy, but they'll get the job done quick enough. As for 20 degrees of timing, that is insane for a 17 turn wind! You can try 20 degrees of timing if you want your motors to draw more amperage than the starter in your full size car!

Also, do you have 3 diodes on just one motor or on both motors?

Arcing will occur in most every motor when it is forced to run reversed timing. It is unavoidable, because every component on the motor is designed to operate it's best in one direction. The springs may be different from positive to negative (not sure on the Fireball. I have a 15 turn Fireball downstairs but it's buried under about 30 or 40 other modified motors ), the brushes may have a softer edge on one side, and other factors affect the severity of arcing. They will also arc when braking. It's not something to be dreadfully scared of, just something to be aware of.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Tech Rookie

I have 3 capacitors/diodes on both the motors.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Suspended

Here's what you need to do:

Disassemble both motors, cut both commutators, clean everything, reassemble them, and quite possibly the problem will be gone. From what you have said, the only logical cause now is out-of-round comms.

If that doesn't work, try a stiffer brush spring.

Old 09-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

What radio gear are you using? Is it old? Have you ever dropped the crystals? Or used the receiver where it has been subjected to vibrations without adequate insulation? What about the aerial wire? Sometimes, these type of problems can occur from dirty pots inside your transmitter. Similar glitch problems can occur when the capacitors in your receiver start to break away from the PCB, or if moisture has entered the receiver (or condensation if you have the receiver wrapped up in a balloon or other waterproof material).

Electric motors can sometimes cause interference, and a dodgey comm will cause excessive arching - Phatkat has detailed getting the comm cut. But I think at this stage, some more information is needed regarding the actual radio.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Suspended

What radio gear are you using? Is it old? Have you ever dropped the crystals? Or used the receiver where it has been subjected to vibrations without adequate insulation? What about the aerial wire? Sometimes, these type of problems can occur from dirty pots inside your transmitter. Similar glitch problems can occur when the capacitors in your receiver start to break away from the PCB, or if moisture has entered the receiver (or condensation if you have the receiver wrapped up in a balloon or other waterproof material).

Electric motors can sometimes cause interference, and a dodgey comm will cause excessive arching - Phatkat has detailed getting the comm cut. But I think at this stage, some more information is needed regarding the actual radio.

I agree. There is a definite problem with the comms, but likely something else is going on too.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Everything is brand new, surely I shouldn't have to cut the comms in brand new motors? I don't really have access to a comm lathe anyway.

I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days.

Thanks heaps for the info guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Dave
Old 09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 4x4xfar
Everything is brand new, surely I shouldn't have to cut the comms in brand new motors? I don't really have access to a comm lathe anyway.

I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days.

Thanks heaps for the info guys, it's greatly appreciated.

Dave
What radio?
Old 09-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry, this is the Transmitter and Reciever I have...

Sanwa Radio

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.