Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
One way bearing gone...again! >

One way bearing gone...again!

One way bearing gone...again!

Old 09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default One way bearing gone...again!

My one way has gone on my s-25 engines roto start. Ok, so I have been told that the pull start unit will last a lot longer than the roto one way, right? I'm gonna take it out & clean it, but if anyone has any advice on whether I should opt for pull start or not, the advice will be gratefully recieved.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default i changed it a few times

sometimes if you clean it it sticks again....but the guy told me i was letting the roto starter on to long and it strips it....i had the pull start they both had pro and cons.....i broke the rope a few times....
Old 09-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Try using a fuel with a lower oil content. This will help prevent oil getting into the 1 way making it slip. Try also sealing up the backplate with silcon sealant.

When starting from cold, have the glow plug slackened off by 1/4 of a turn - tighten it back up straight away when it starts.

If the engine starts to flood, don't force the engine to turn over - you'll break the weakest link - yep that's right, the 1 way bearing!

Even then, you can still expect to break them. I've changed 2 over the last 2 years. To be honest, using a pull start will create more problems than it solves.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Sure. This is the second one that has gone in 2 months. I have tended to only turn it over in 5 second bursts to try not to stress the bearing. I would be worried to use a lower oil content in order not to deprive the engine of lubrication, though it's a good idea.

I bought some silicon gasket sealant yesterday, I have been meaning to seal the backplate & carb for a while now. I have a feeling that it could be fuel getting into the roto start. Ordered a pull start, at the same time I have also snapped a couple of pull start strings too.....lol.

Either way I will crack it & jsut grin & bear the wear & tear I guess.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Once your engine has been run in/used the piston isn't so tight in the sleeve during start up. That's the good news.

The bad news is that there's a little O ring in the back plate and it also wears down, subsequently the seal is compromised, allowing oil to escape past the starting shaft and into the the 1 way bearing. This what happened to mine a couple of days ago.

The offending O ring isn't listed in the engine manual and has no part number. However, I found some spare O rings (included in the SS kit and labelled simply as 'spares') that fit the hole in the back plate - and the starting shaft - perfectly. I replaced the old O ring with one of these and my 1 way has been bone dry since.

Most o rings are standard parts, so if you don't have any in your spares box, try taking your old O ring to a local engineering supplies store for a low cost replacement.

I've attached an image with a diagram to show exactly where the 'mystery' o-ring lives.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Savage backplate a.bmp (40.2 KB, 667 views)
Old 10-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

Good advice mate. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

I'm glad you found the post!!!