R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   CEN Genesis offical thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/837562-cen-genesis-offical-thread.html)

bksrt 09-20-2014 08:41 PM

CEN Genesis offical thread

Couldnt find an official thread for this truck so im making one. I think it should include the gst and colossus. E versions included as well.

Ive got almost a roller in the basement im going to build this winter. Id like anyone who has experience with these trucks to chime in. I traded my mgt 8.0 for an rtr gst and the roller i have in my basement. It was a major mistake. But now i only have the roller and i hate seeing it sit there. I love the look of the genesis trucks but parts are hard to get and not cheap. One of the things id like to accomplish with this thread is to find what parts can be used on these trucks from other mt's. For example. The Savage XL Octane big bore shocks seem like a logical choice as an upgrade rather than the 8-10 small bore shock setup that comes stock. Also engine options are limited. I found that the OS Hyper 50 fits as does an evolution 45. This also leads me to believe that an mgt(thunder tiger) .50 will fit. The issue is that the OS and Evolution motors are ringed as well as side exhaust. I cant find much else that is a drop in replacement.
The wieght of the truck contributes to broken a-arms. Although i only broke one the entire time i had my truck. Is there something else that could be substituted? Steering servos take a major beating due to the weight and oem wheel/tire size. I dont recomend using anything less than a 30kg servo. Probably best to stay over 12-13kg for throttle/brakes and reverse. I found that reverse is a terrible PITA to engage. The transmission seems solid but also a pain to adjust(3 speed). Diffs are rock solid. Cases are plastic but very tuff and the internals are HD for sure. Side plates are beauty too.

My main issue with the truck was the motor. Upgrade that and the rest is solid. I also suggest getting rid of the plastic front driveshaft. I swapped out the front with a spare rear steel shaft i had. Never had issues with hubs or carriers, they seem to handle the weight of the truck well.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Nitro Basher 09-21-2014 02:36 PM

Plenty of spares available on ebay and cheap too. You are right about the Cen motor they are not good. I put the Motor from the MGT8.0 into my Gst 7.7 just had to move the exhaust pipe and the fuel tank to the oposite sides, used the tank from the savage.

bksrt 09-21-2014 06:23 PM

The mgt motor would be a decent choice. I had an 8.0 and it was a beast. Did you use the Cen pipe on the mgt motor?

TIME MACHINE 09-22-2014 08:42 AM

I don't believe you searched hard enough. There are quite a few threads on these trucks with plenty of info.

With that being said, have at it.

bksrt 09-22-2014 10:41 AM

Threads are plentiful but i didnt find an "Official Cen Genesis Thread" like every other rc vehicle created has on this site. If it exsists, its hidden somewhere. So heres a new one to give this frustrating, unreliable, massive, intimidating beauty its due. I found it quite aggrivating looking for info when i first got mine. Threads are usually really old. Pics in the threads usually dont work. Theres very few dealers around and shops that can get the parts never stock them so they always have to be ordered.

On the other hand, they are fairly unique, you can almost bet that if you have one, nobody else at the track will have one and many people have never even heard of them.

Ebay has a fair selection of parts and you can usually find what you need i just think pricing could be better. Cheaper aftermarket parts would be nice too. $120 for a set of aluminum arms!!!! Ouch. Though i wouldnt recomend aluminum on this truck.

Nitro Basher 09-22-2014 11:28 AM

Yes i used the Cen pipe with a modified MGT manifold. Will post a pic when i get a spare 5 mins. I also ditched the front plastic telescopic drive shaft, used the front dog bone and outdrive from the Nemisis, was a drop in replacement.

Nitro Basher 09-22-2014 11:53 AM

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k...psb6912c76.jpg

bksrt 09-24-2014 05:41 AM

Looks like you stuck with the mgt roto start? That was my least favourite part of that truck/motor. I couldnt keep the shafts from stripping. Although the cen pull start wasnt much better. I wish i could post pics of mine, i had a full roll cage that was so big that when you put the body on it would only mount at the top holes of the posts. I had it completely jacked up too. Kinda miss the stupid thing now. Ill be building my roller this winter. Might have to try and find that cage again lol

Nitro Basher 09-25-2014 09:01 AM

Have never had any problems with the integral roto start on the thunder tiger motor, When i was running the Cen motor i bought the add on roto start and it stripped within a couple of months. Were you stripping the ball end of the hex shaft on the starter?

bksrt 09-25-2014 11:27 AM

Yea. Then i cut it off and just made the straight end of the shaft fit. Just had to make sure it was straight while starting. Wore that out a few times lol

coreyjp 03-11-2015 04:59 PM

cen gst 7.7 tire and wheel question

Hey guys just got a cen gst about 2 weeks ago. Hadn't ran in probably over a year. Put some gas in it tuned it up and runs fine now. My question is will assocaited monster mgt mt 8.0 rims fit on this. They are 23mm hex but idk what the offset is and if it will interfere if it is zero offset?

coreyjp 03-11-2015 05:04 PM

here is a pic of the rims and tires

Associated 1/8 Monster GT MGT 8.0

Maybe not how do you attach image?

vipor81 03-12-2015 11:00 AM

I have a.46 genesis limited I bought a rotor start back plate and when I went to put it on it would not fit the one way bearing CEN says it's the right part number have any of you had this problem and if so how did you fix it

Nitro Basher 03-13-2015 06:49 AM

Is the hex in the roto start too small for the hex on the one way bearing? the hex size should measure 14mm across the flats. I think they were originally 12mm so maybe you have got an old rotostart.

vipor81 03-13-2015 10:18 AM

yes this is my problem my owb is to big for the hex on the rotostart do you know if you can still get the smaller owb when I bought the roto-tech backplate it was shipped from Tokyo it took forever in costumes