Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
trucks and sand >

trucks and sand

trucks and sand

Old 09-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default trucks and sand

im new to rcing i have losi lst and mgt...i want to take truck on beach...one hobby shop here says thats what they are made for sand comes off.....the other store says it will be the death of my truck....does anyone really know?can they run on sand
Old 09-03-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

I wouldn't try it thats for sure, especially it being a nitro. Im betting that your LHS is only telling you that nothing wrong can happen when indeed something will go wrong because they want you to break things so you will end purchasing from them more.

Sean
Old 09-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's allright to bring your truck to the beach. it's a blast looking at your truck tear up the beach. Just a few things to remember before & after running at the beach: Maek sure that your air filter is securely installed onto your engine, I would recommend using zipties on the filter throat. Dont run your truck into the water. After playing, rinse your truck with fresh water and spray WD40 or similar. Do you usual after run procedure too. Enjoy playing at the beach. Just my .02.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:58 PM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

yea do what he said, you should be fine, i have taken my truck to the beach before, it wasnt bad at all, i have paddals for it and it help keep me on top of the sand and gives better traction, you dont need it cause the trucks are 4wd but it doesnt hurt.

and i just blew my truck off with my air compressor when i got home and it was nice and clean
Old 09-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Tech Elite

If you run in sandy contitions, you'll need to keep up with the maintenance side of things. Sand gets in everywhere it's not supposed to and if it mixes with grease, creates a nasty grinding paste. If you've got rubber sealed bearings, this helps reduce the chance of sand penetration in the ballraces.

I recommend using a PTFE spray before using your truck in dirty, wet or sandy conditions and then blowing off as much dirt as you can after use. After use, the WD40 should help displace any moisture and reduce the risk of corrosion. You just need to be careful not to get it on your brakes.

Check your driveshafts, especially CVDs, and also the axles, diff outputs etc.

Having said all that, beaches provide some of the best natural terrain for off road RC vehicles, it seems a shame not to have make the most of it!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

one more thing, just to ensure that nothng will break in case you ccidentally find urself in the water, wrap ur receiver with a something plastic (an uninflated balloon for instance) then zip tie to close it then appl a small amount of grease on the opening to prevent any moisture or water from getting in. do this with the receiver pack also. HAVE A BLAST!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

well i drive my truck at the beach when i go camping there and i dont need much extra work, just dont oil your outer airfilter element (if you have a 2-stage filter like the motoir saver or hpi high perf)mif you dont have a upgraded filter then id just say dont go on the beach sand is the absolute worst thing your engine will meet and you need protection, fuelfilters are good ideas also. just try not to dig yourself in too much in the sand and dont go in the water (but the hard sand by the water is the best bu be careful) and dont really spray anything on your truck before you drive it make sure its dry because sand will stick to it. then an aircompressor will work well with getting DRY sand off. nitro cleaner has enough to spray the sand off but use an aircompressor first. and make sure nothing is loose and using your body is also a good idea. and if you are gonna be there for a while try and seal it up somewhere when you store it opr the salt air will take its tool on the truck.