Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Cleaning Your Cars??? >

Cleaning Your Cars???

Cleaning Your Cars???

Old 08-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Cleaning Your Cars???

What do you guys do when u need to clean your car. I have all my engine, fuel tank etc off on mine to fix clutch so i thought i mite aswell cean it. How do u clean an engine?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Denatured alcohol in a spray bottle, a toothbrush or similar, and a buttload of patience.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:40 AM
mjm
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-Maxx Matt
What do you guys do when u need to clean your car. I have all my engine, fuel tank etc off on mine to fix clutch so i thought i mite aswell cean it. How do u clean an engine?
Pull the electronics, Spray it with somthing like Simple Green and hit it with the hose.

Blow it dry with a compressor, spray with WD-40 in tight ares to remove water, Relube the bearings, put back together.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

i also use NON Chlorinated brake cleaner. But normally, I do as posted before on my nitro cars and remove the electronics and even the motor and simple green it and hose it off and blow dry and wd40. Electric cars I use more of the brake cleaner and air hose routine. I dont usually get them as muddy lol
Old 09-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Between teardowns and rebuilds I have a small assortment of cheap paint brushes. They are about $1 at a cheapo store and will work great to get into tight places. After your done hit it with some WD and let it dry. The plastic will be shiny as though it was new, and be more resistant to dirt and dust.

For full blown rebuilds I tear it all down and take EVERY part to the sink and hit it with a dab of dish soap. This removs all greas and oil and leaves you with a sparkling part. Now when I reassemble the car I polish the rods/pins/ball studs, replace worn parts, replace or pinch loose ball cups, replace stripped screws, replace any double sided tape, check for messed up gears, and replace any worn parts with any slack. It's sad how bent out of shape I get when my wheel wobbles exessivly. I hate slack and slop!

After it's all back together I generally hit it with good ol' WD. I generally do this to all my racers during the off-season, and mabey once during the season if things are getting loose and starting to get overly messy.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Default hose it down

Do you spray the whole car with wd-40? Electronics and all, or just the plastic? Just curious because thats a good Idea.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Servo's you can generally get away with, but ESC's and recievers are a no-no. You can spray them, and it's not a really big deal if you do, but most of the time a good swipe with a cloth or a brush will get them clean. A good idea for those would be to spray a paper towel and then wipe it clean with that.

This idea is great for keeping your tires from "Snowballing" as I like to call it. Works great whenever you run on our micro track, especially when we wet the course.