Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI Savage Octane XL - How Is Yours Running? >

HPI Savage Octane XL - How Is Yours Running?

Like Tree1Likes

HPI Savage Octane XL - How Is Yours Running?

Old 05-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default HPI Savage Octane XL - How Is Yours Running?

I am just curious to see how many people have Octanes, and how theirs is running.

I will be receiving mine tomorrow so I will be able to chime in as well.

Would also like it if you could list exactly what you are running, carb settings, fuel, brand of oil, mix ratio, etc.

Thanks, Robert
Old 05-30-2014, 03:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I would recommend reading the manual on the carb adjustments. One of the two needles, it says DO NOT adjust, maybe Frank knows why not. I think it was the low speed needle, but can't remember for sure. I think I would be tempted to leave them as is, if it runs half way decent, until 8-10 tanks.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spookie View Post
I would recommend reading the manual on the carb adjustments. One of the two needles, it says DO NOT adjust, maybe Frank knows why not. I think it was the low speed needle, but can't remember for sure. I think I would be tempted to leave them as is, if it runs half way decent, until 8-10 tanks.
That may very well could be the biggest issue here. When myself and many others around the world got ours, the manual told us how to adjust the high AND low screws after the first tank was run through the engine. I followed those instructions to the letter and then three or four days later the 10 page Octane running tips was put out by HPI. Those instructions are very different from what I had to go on when I was initially breaking my truck in.

With all that said, I actually may have started to "turn the corner" with my truck today. I still would like to do a little more tweaking on the carb before I'll call it good. Then I need to grab the running tips and start to adjust my transmission.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Tech Master

Yup, I just double checked, the Running Tips.

Tuning the Engine
To get more speed, we’ll only adjust the high end needle screw. Look to this adjustment if you feel the Octane
needs more speed. No matter what, you should never adjust the low end needle.
Engine Tuning Symptoms: Too Rich or Too Lean?
If the engine’s fuel-air mix is too rich, the engine will make a deeper exhaust note and slow down as it’s getting
too much fuel. If the mix is too lean, the engine will make a higher exhaust note as it’s being starved of fuel.
You’ll also notice less smoke coming out of the exhaust, which means not enough oil is getting through the
engine. In extreme cases, the engine will shut off completely.
How to Tune the Engine
Before making any adjustments, we need to be clear
that you must not turn this tuning screw more than
one-quarter turn in either direction. When adjust
Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

This is what I had for instructions when I was attempting to get my truck set up........
Old 05-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
This is what I had for instructions when I was attempting to get my truck set up........
Yeah. Not sure if anybody has been paying attention but they have redone the tuning manual several times as well. Latest revision as of yesterday was yesterday. Lol. They redid the suggested carb settings again if I remember right.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

Yeah...that's been one of biggest gripes. The least they could have done is made sure the instructions were all sorted out before the release.
I became a little annoyed with Frank Mckinney and his comments in the other thread.
When I received my truck all I had from HPI was the included manual and that paper addendum they added to look to for instruction.

Pay close attention to step number 5 and 6.....

Now obviously I know a motor will need more than one tank to break in, but at no point do they mention waiting 5-6 tanks before adjusting anything on the carb. As you saw above I was under the impression that if the truck accelerated slowly, that I would need to tweak the low screw.
What's done is done but it would be nice if HPI returned one of my four messages and at least acknowledged their error. My only contact to date has been with Hobbico and they have been unable to answer any questions about any of our issues.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah, kinda a crock but then again I never read the owners manuals. Lol. I did this time though because of all the problems.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Master

I learned pretty quick, there is no real number of tanks or time period before an engine is broke in. It depends on outside temps, carb settings, way rich seems to slow down break in, etc. As far as symptoms, the high speed deals more with acceleration and top speed. The way it works imo, is the low speed controls idle and a small part of the transition into the high speed. BUT I know on nitros, moving one needle, does affect the other slightly. To me, this random, it runs great then doesn't, sure points to the cdi. Maybe moisture in it? too hot internally, weak components, something like that.

My logic is this, does the cdi control spark timing? Retarding it or increasing as rpm increases? If so, a problem might be causing it to go retarded at lower rpm's and that would cause poor low end performance. Unfortunately only HPI can answer that one.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Tech Regular

i dont know the truck or engine, however the carb is a walbro wt668, the same carb as on a 1/5 scale. what i do know on those engines is the low speed needle will affect the high speed needle, the oposite of nitro. basicly at idle the high speed needle is closed off and it runs from the low speed needle, when you go roughly past 1/3 throttle the high speed opens up, adding fuel to what the low speed is supplying.

on a 1/5 scale gasser generally you dont touch the throttle blade stop screw and the idle is set with the low speed needle.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Another question. Let's suppose this is a cdi issue, can everyone post the date that is on their cdi? I'm wondering if it is a certain date that is causing issues.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

Mine came in on Saturday. I have not ran it yet, but so far here is what I have done:

Modded the wiring to accept a single 5000mah Venom Ni-mh (one full size hump pack fits perfect in the battery box) and I installed my Futaba receiver which seems to be working.

Also ordered the wrong gas cap for my Dunerunner, and it just so happens it fits the Octane, so it is on there as well.

Will hopefully get some runtime this week, I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Regular

I sure hope you see better results than I have.....anxious to hear your thoughts.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
I sure hope you see better results than I have.....anxious to hear your thoughts.
I know one thing, I forgot how mushy 1/8th scale tires are, I think I am going to put my baja trenchers on it instead, just a little bit taller, but a much more rigid tire.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

Has anyone tried putting a stock baja air filter system on, it should bolt right up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.