Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stampede trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Stampede trucks

About all of you who have had the pleasure of owning one or two of these trucks.
Attached Thumbnails Stampede trucks-49465581445.jpg  
Old 08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

We've got one.

www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/Stampede.html

Not exactly an off-road racer, but tough as nails. We also have parts avalible for these too!

www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/Products.html
Old 08-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up stampede

cool trucks. I just bash the mutha out of mine.
I might set one of them up for racing this winter for the indoor leagues.
Attached Thumbnails Stampede trucks-34108209669_290_2.jpeg  

Last edited by derbi75; 08-15-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

I just picked up a Stampede for bashing, so from what here they are tough trucks. I bought it early today and bought a pair of 3000 batteries, charged them and ran though both already, charging them again now. This truck tons of fun.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

The Stampede is a great truck, easy to build, tough, and takes quite a bit of abuse. I added the RPM ESC shelf, stronger spur gears, RPM Heavy duty hubs, Stronger Servo and servo saver and thicker grease in the diff. All that makes for a reliable, easy to drive vehicle that I let everyone try.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Tech Master

What...no TPR performance parts!

I'm just joking, but if you have any pictures put em' up and let us see!

Check out our Stampede page again...the link is in my other post. We rebuilt it for Pro-Stock racing at our track, so now it runs with our Bandit!

The Stampede also just won the XRC truck of the year! That's crazy seeing as how this truck was designed in 1993...Traxxas has had it in service for the past 12 years and it continues to serve it's purpose fairly well. Wierd design, and there is a lot that could have been improved, but you can't argue with what works.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
HA! Naw man...i've been out of the hobby for over a year now! Nice site btw...You seem to have similar tastes in vehicles...i'll post some pics of my offroad trucks....
Old 10-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing

I'm just joking, but if you have any pictures put em' up and let us see!

Check out our Stampede page again...the link is in my other post. We rebuilt it for Pro-Stock racing at our track, so now it runs with our Bandit!

The Stampede also just won the XRC truck of the year! That's crazy seeing as how this truck was designed in 1993...Traxxas has had it in service for the past 12 years and it continues to serve it's purpose fairly well. Wierd design, and there is a lot that could have been improved, but you can't argue with what works.
I was just checking out your site last night, and I love all the projects, that my kinda R/C. Matter of fact your stampede vs rustler video link maybe make up mind on getting the stampede.

After I charged my batteries again, I was racing my nieghbor a few house down, he had an older Bandit so it was pretty cool. I did some minor upgrades before the second run though, be a suggestion from a friend I change the hub carriers from the stock to RPM's and added 5x11 bearings, I notice a definate improvement in speed. This thing loves to do wheelies. I haven't had this much with a car in while, (my RC18T is this kinda fun).
I'll get some pics up tomorrow when there is some day light!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:27 AM
Tech Adept

how is the ESC that comes with the truck? I plan on buying one for my 4 year old. Is thier any way to reduce the throttle input. infact I was even thinging of putting a 55t lathe motor in just to slow things down a lot.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 05:30 AM
Tech Adept

Well my came with the Taxxas XL-1 esc and it can handle down to a 17T (supposedly, I ran a 15x2 and it got hot fast so I put back the stock stinger motor) But it is pretty adjustable, and you and tune the throttle down a tad.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

i always wondered if i should get one of these trucks. with 2 wheel drive, how do they handle snow and stuff?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Well even an E-MAXX handles like crap in the snow.

The esc is alright for a begginner, but it's not the best. It's not on any of my lists for greatest ESC of all time, but it will do for a begginer or a basher. The 2WD is great! It's low maintnence, very durable and pretty quick. The stock Stinger puts out around 21,000 RPM on 7.2V. Replacing the Stinger with a Johnson 540 will increase runtime and slow the truck down. Johnsons only spin around 14,000 while the stock Mabuchis' are about 15-17,000 depending on year and designation. Some came with vented aluminum endbells, some came with white nylon endbells, and some actually shipped with carbon fiber endbells. The Sport version of the gool ol' Mabooch 540 spins about 18-19,000 RPM with a good stick pack. The 55T lathe motor is a good choice and it has excellent torque, but it hasn't had the torture testing of the Mabuchi's and the Johnson's. You can probably get a Mabuchi or Johnson free from your LHS if they like you! They are most common in older Tamiya or Kyosho kits and most people throw them into the bottom of spare parts bins and crap piles, so they are pretty common even though you hardly ever see a vehicle equipped with one. You can also set the ESC proportionality and speed screws to decrease the top end but with the XL-1 tuning isn't exactly a strong point. The controller can also be adjusted but these fixes aren't the best way to go about slowing down a car. They affect the proportionality and control of the throttle making it feel less linear, so when your little guy gets into the faster stuff he will have to readjust to the smoother ESC's. You can mess with gearing but you don't want the motor to overrevv.

I'm glad our video helped you to make a decision! We are very happy with Traxxas and show our appreciation by spending LOTS of money on parts, cars, and accesories!

If you have any other questions about the Stampede or any other Traxxas cars don't be afraid to ask!

BTW: 800TH post!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

wow, thats pretty much everything anyone could want to know about a stampede! but can you put maxx wheels on a stampede? thats what i would try if i got one.

congratulations on your 800th post
Old 10-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Thank you!

You cannot put the stock E-MAXX rims and tires onto a Stampede, but you can adapt the hubs. First get the RPM carriers, without them you might as well not even try. The small bearings that fit into the stock carriers are also pretty much useless. You can easlily modify an E-MAXX wheel hex or the Stampede stub axle to accomodate the larger rims. The hole in the center is larger on the E-MAXX, so you will have to cut spacers for the hexs to remove the slop. After that, all you have to do is fit a smaller drive pin into a larger slot, or a larger drive pin into a smaller hole. Either way, the whole assembly is rather easy to figure out if you have some spare plastic spacers and such. If you want to email me some pics I can help you on a more step by step basis. Just go to the Contact to get in touch with us. You will also have to change out the gearing on the Stampede. I would say go to a 12/89 or so to compensate for the larger diameter tires and the heavier rubber. Driveshafts may also be a bit easier to break, but we'll cross that bridge later. You can use an E-MAXX driveshaft that has been cut shorter to slip over the spline of the Stampede shafts to keep them from twisting and shearing off. Stiffer springs may also be needed. Any E-MAXX spring will fit, so aftermarket springs are at most every hobby shop on the planet. Try experimenting with different shock oils and pistons as well...when you get used to the truck that is. Gearing can't be put off, the handling points can be. Driving those stock gears with those monster tires is a bad idea!

If you need anymore help just go to the page above and send an email. I can get some pics for you if you like!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (99%+)

Davenport, A quick fix to slow your sons truck down is to just slide a peice of rubber tubing over the trigger to reduce the travel......My son is 3 and I just bought a pede for him....oh yea, and one for me!

I've already started to hop mine up, here is what I've done so far:

-Rush wide arm conversion
-Evader ST threaded aluminum shocks fr and rr.
-RPM front and rear carriers w/ 5x11 bearings
-Fireball 13x2 motor
-HPI carbon fiber spur gear
-LRP Quantum comp. 2 ESC
-Airtronics MX-3 Radio
-Hitec 945mg servo
-MIP shiny CVD kit
-HPI 5 star deep chrome wheels
-Pro-line Masher 2000 tires
-Milled out the chassis to run a 7 cell flat pack (under the rpm ESC mount)
-Dean's 12 guage wire
-Novak mega power capacitor ( nothing wrong with have'n a little reserve power! )
-Lunsford titanium tie rods and upper links
-Pro-line silverado body
-Aluminum idler gear
-Badhorsie spring/shock covers
-Aluminum hax hubs

I'm not done building it yet but it should be pretty sweet when it's done. Hopefully it should pick up the front end with no problem !

Last edited by SCUBA STEVE; 10-28-2005 at 09:06 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.