Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Bought the last BRAND NEW LST xxl in the nation. Any xxl tips? >

Bought the last BRAND NEW LST xxl in the nation. Any xxl tips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bought the last BRAND NEW LST xxl in the nation. Any xxl tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Bought the last BRAND NEW LST xxl in the nation. Any xxl tips?

So I was lucky enough to find a hobby shop with this guy hiding in the stock

I've been looking for MONTHS calling everywhere in the nation looking for a brand new never opened one of these.

So, I got it today and it's time for break in etc.

I'm looking for some tips for the xxl / 454 if anyone has any.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

Next, make a concerted effort to find the last New Era roll-bar in the nation...

Seriously though, I cannot recommend it enough.

For the 454, just break it in normally. Odonnell medium purple plugs from Amain are ideal.

Try to avoid using the pullstart - use a Spinstart instead (Does the XXL come with one? If not, buy one on ebay...)

Also, maybe get yourself some Losi yellow shock springs.

I personally also like a wing kit as ersatz wheely bar...

Metal to metal screws need to be threadlocked..

And oh yeah, like all LST trucks since forever, you need a Dynamite engine brace to replace the sub-par stocker..

Maybe a better receiver battery.. Spares - arms, spindles and carriers, a steering servo, a bumper set, side rails, maybe a tank.. Used to be able to get all that stuff cheap on ebay. Not sure about now.. I'm not saying you HAVE to have that stuff. Just that, if you come across it cheap, it would be sensible to have it on hand long-term...

Do NOT drive in water - the servos will die.. In my experience the Losi servos die more readily from contact with water than other servos...

Last edited by Herrsavage; 03-10-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

ya dont get discouraged with the pullstart, the spin start seems to work well. the Rc raven springs with 35 wt in front and 30 in the back have been great for me i almost wanna try a little stiffer for some bigger air but w.e. i definitely found the front carrier hubs to be a weak point so try and score those aluminium (Good Luck) But with the New LST coming out i think you should be able to get all the extras you need. But ya stock the suspension is way too soft so u'll wanna either get the rc raven springs or the yellow losi's.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nice find!! I love my original LST--

Last edited by Booyah; 03-10-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Next, make a concerted effort to find the last New Era roll-bar in the nation...

Seriously though, I cannot recommend it enough.

For the 454, just break it in normally. Odonnell medium purple plugs from Amain are ideal.

Try to avoid using the pullstart - use a Spinstart instead (Does the XXL come with one? If not, buy one on ebay...)

Also, maybe get yourself some Losi yellow shock springs.

I personally also like a wing kit as ersatz wheely bar...

Metal to metal screws need to be threadlocked..

And oh yeah, like all LST trucks since forever, you need a Dynamite engine brace to replace the sub-par stocker..

Maybe a better receiver battery.. Spares - arms, spindles and carriers, a steering servo, a bumper set, side rails, maybe a tank.. Used to be able to get all that stuff cheap on ebay. Not sure about now.. I'm not saying you HAVE to have that stuff. Just that, if you come across it cheap, it would be sensible to have it on hand long-term...

Do NOT drive in water - the servos will die.. In my experience the Losi servos die more readily from contact with water than other servos...

So any idea where to find that roll bar and engine brace? When rolling this thing back and forth on the ground it sounds crazy. Like a grinding noise from front of transmission... When I separate the brake discs it quites up... I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Tech Champion

Take a closer look at the linkage. It can get kinda' bound up. Loosen the frontmost grub screw on the linkage(just behind the receiver box), and make sure the linkage rod is all the way back, then tighten it back up. And readjust elsewhere as needed... That grindy noise happens to me too, on both my LST2's.. Not a big fan of linkages.. - but you gotta' get them set right.. And when they are, the LST trucks have incredible brakes..

As for the rollbar, people have been coming and going here looking for those for several years. Just keep looking.. Send a mail directly to New Era and just tell him you want one, etc.. Tell him Losi is coming out with the XXL-2, so demand will continue..

Speaking personally, I seriously cannot praise the NE rollbar enough. It not only protects the head from scratches, and makes a good roll bar, etc.., but it adds stiffness and stability to the chassis, so directly and indirectly protecting all kinds of other stuff too. It keeps thing firm through the whole middle of the truck. My LST2 is seven years old and still going.. Who has a seven year old RC?(and still bashes it..) Last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vSdwHqui08

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I feel similarly about the RC Raven springs btw.. Great for jumping, and IMO they add to the lifetime of your shocks... My shocks and springs are seven years old too..

Last edited by Herrsavage; 03-10-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Was that video of your xxl? Does this thing has enough power to do wheelies like that stock... or is that all the new motor and pipe. I can't find that roll bar anywhere
Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

My truck is an LST2. The XXL is longer and so will be a bit harder to wheelie. I had my two LST2's with me, the other one with a stock 454. It didn't wheelie nearly as much.

You can set it up to wheelie more though. Stiffer springs and/or shock oil, and a tighter slipper... Need a good tune on the engine too.. The LST trucks are not really meant to be wheelie machines though. They are fantastically balanced, great handling trucks.. They just look good when they move. They are very different from a Savage in that way.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't find that roll bar anywhere
And you won't ))))))))))))))))