Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Can't start new Savage 25 >

Can't start new Savage 25

Can't start new Savage 25

Old 07-31-2005, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default Can't start new Savage 25

Ok, just bought new savage 25 & having probs breaking engine in.

It started out of the box fine, ran idle through 1 tank of fuel. Then I left the engine cool down & tried starting again. It wouldn't start, so I primed the engine a little more & after about 30 sec of turning the engine over it spluttered into action. It ran through about three quaters of another tank then just died. I eventually got it started again & after running through the rest of the tank I then started to open the throttle a little to begin my second stage of breaking in. It stalled, which was to be expected as I presumed maybe the needles needed a slight adjustment to at least keep it running through break in.

Now! It won't start at all! I have flooded the engine once & cleared it. Every so often I get a reaction from the engine as though it is going to start, other than that, nothing. When I remove the glow plug & turn it over a couple of times I'm not getting any fuel coming out. Could it just be that no fuel is reaching the engine? I know I'm not flooding it. The carb is open sufficient. I have tried several new glow plugs.

The only needle I have adjusted was the idle, to keep the wheels relatively still & it rand idle with no problems like this.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

try richening your needle, you may be trying to run it too rich. make sure ALL of the batteries are fresh/charged to the max. read up in the manual, and try again. i had several probs with the savage as well. i then decided not to use the primer thing, and to just cover up the exaust for a few seconds while starting, and it helped me start mine.

happy racing/climbing!!!
may the Shwartz be with you...
Old 07-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Tech Adept

Right. Well I figured that because it had run through a couple of tanks on factory settings, which is set quite rich, I should maybe lean it out a little. I didn't think of covering the exhaust though.

I will give it a go.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

i have ran in lots of new motors, and each one has its own quirks. a little time with the truck and you will figure out how to start it really easy.

using the finger over the exhaust to prime the motor is the best method of getting fuel to the carb. i NEVER use the factory primers, in fact, if my car comes fitted with one, i remove it and fill the hole with JB weld or similar. primers WILL eventually leak and cause major tuning problems. they are a disaster waiting to happen.

for the first "driving" tank, i always leave my hotpocket (glow igniter) attached to the car (this will not work with one of those battery and lead type starters of coarse) it keeps the plug a little hotter and reduces the risk of flame out.

you need to be very careful on the throttle for the early tanks also. accelerating quickly will stall it. just feather the throttle till it reaches a swift walking speed, rather than going staraight to 1/4 open.

sometimes i also give the car a roll start. push it along with your foot to help get it moving, this will also reduce the risk of it bogging down and stalling.

hope these tips have helped a little......they work well for me
Old 08-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Tech Adept

If I cover the exhaust for too long will I flood the engine? How long should I cover the exhaust? When cool & when clear of all fuel ou of the cylinder the engine will generally start, but if it stalls or if I stop the engine it just won't restart.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Also, if I open up the throttle it tends not to start at all. However, if I close the carb wih only a mm gap it will start more often than not. Does this mean the mixture is too lean? I only say this because I presume too much air is getting in when the carb is open.

I'm getting a few air bubbles in the fuel line too, is this going to hinder the engine start. Why am I getting air bubbles?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

when starting it, dont try to ask of too much from the engine. but when it starts, i would rev it higher slowly, and keep it at a slightly higher rpm. there are bubbles in your fu el lines? look for a leak in the pipes, and check the primer thing, cause the more junk you have on, or bieng used in your line, the more prone to leakage, and thats why i like my t-maxx, cause it doesnt have a mechanical primer thing. I would try to remove the primer, and check for leaks. make sure the pipes are on all of the attachment things as secure as posible, and make sure nothing obvious is causing the probs.

happy racing!
Old 08-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

I don't have a primer, I use the finger over the exhaust thing to prime it. I have just replaced the fuel line & will have to wait till morning after my glow starter has recharged to test it out...lol. Darn it.

When it does start it goes really well. I have run it through another 2 tanks of fuel today on a flat stretch of road. Just starting the damn thing!....tsk.