R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Monster Trucks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/)
-   -   Buying a new Nitro monster truck. Needing input (https://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks/793273-buying-new-nitro-monster-truck-needing-input.html)

GvilleFloridaR1 02-14-2014 04:47 PM

Buying a new Nitro monster truck. Needing input

I wish losi still made their xxl bc I wouldn't be posting this.

Choices are hpi savage xl, MGT 8.0 ( had one, seemed cheap), Revo 3.3 or.....

I have had more traxxas than I can shake a stick at and I'd like something the size of a mgt or hpi xl but I'm open to suggestions.

mydudrevo 02-14-2014 09:47 PM

The losi xxl is coming back. In gas form. Pick up one of those or get a used one and parts support will be fine since they brought it back.

NITRO GOD 02-14-2014 10:11 PM

I love traxxas trucks, hpi is good and losi is good too, if you want a good truck you have options, but you should wait for summer, I want to buy a novarossi motor for my losi truck but that dynamite .31 gas engine is looking mighty tempting!!!

Herrsavage 02-14-2014 11:09 PM

Keep searching for an XXL.. Gotta' be one out there somewhere..

hotrod87 02-15-2014 06:34 AM

Hard to beat the truck that does exactly what its supposed to do. Big air basher and all around awesome thrasher. Savage. Remember this though, parts support from a local lhs goes a long way.

Wolverini 02-15-2014 03:28 PM

I've had more trucks than most but I've built 3 Savages and am building number 3 now. If you want to play on a track then the Revo is the way to go. If you just want to burn fuel beating up your yard/hill then get a Savage. The 'goal' is what you want to look at. If "monster" is your goal then a Savage can have larger TVP's, etc. The Revo is a Revo is a Revo = all the same size rig. If you want a monster truck then start and end with one. HPI Savage :nod:

GvilleFloridaR1 02-15-2014 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverini (Post 13011507)
I've had more trucks than most but I've built 3 Savages and am building number 3 now. If you want to play on a track then the Revo is the way to go. If you just want to burn fuel beating up your yard/hill then get a Savage. The 'goal' is what you want to look at. If "monster" is your goal then a Savage can have larger TVP's, etc. The Revo is a Revo is a Revo = all the same size rig. If you want a monster truck then start and end with one. HPI Savage :nod:

Are you speaking of the savage or savage xl? I like the idea of the xl..

GvilleFloridaR1 02-15-2014 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Herrsavage (Post 13010017)
Keep searching for an XXL.. Gotta' be one out there somewhere..

Called almost every hobby shop in the nation looking for a new one... no where to be found.

qZOMBIEXTUNAp 02-15-2014 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by GvilleFloridaR1 (Post 13012122)
Called almost every hobby shop in the nation looking for a new one... no where to be found.

As had been said, the XXL is coming back. Hold out for that one or I'm with the others on the Savage XL. Ive had 4 savages. The last was an XL and I wish I still had it!!!

Herrsavage 02-15-2014 10:53 PM

I wouldn't mind an XL - but I would NOT want the stock engine. If it had to be a Savage I'd get an XL, sell the 5.9 immediately, and get an LRP 30 or Picco 28...

There has been some talk recently though of HPI taking a step backwards re the diffs - i.e. the diffs on the XL might not be as strong as they used to / should be.. ?

Though for me I'm still skeptical of HPI after my XSS disaster years ago. That truck utterly sucked.. I bought an LST2 at the same time - ........ and still have it.

Bigdawgsavage 02-16-2014 07:51 AM

I just bought a brand new savage x 4.6. Ive seen alot of good stuff online about them in my research and just thought it was the right one. Ive heard alot of talk about the diffs being bad in the older savage x trucks but heard the newer savage x's have the bulletproof diffs is this true or have they gone back downhill? All in all though from what ive read, the savage trucks and the losi xxl are hard to beat

GvilleFloridaR1 02-16-2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Herrsavage (Post 13012332)
I wouldn't mind an XL - but I would NOT want the stock engine. If it had to be a Savage I'd get an XL, sell the 5.9 immediately, and get an LRP 30 or Picco 28...

There has been some talk recently though of HPI taking a step backwards re the diffs - i.e. the diffs on the XL might not be as strong as they used to / should be.. ?

Though for me I'm still skeptical of HPI after my XSS disaster years ago. That truck utterly sucked.. I bought an LST2 at the same time - ........ and still have it.

I would love to wait out the losi but they are not releasing it until June.

racer83l 03-01-2014 07:43 AM

Im definitely bias towards Traxxas monster trucks, but If I were you I would go T-Maxx 3.3 or Revo 3.3. Main reason, they both have near perfect parts support at your local hobby store.

I have owned both and prefer the Revo because of the rear exhaust.. keeps the truck nice and clean. Im in the process of turning it into a Platinum which is a little better on the track.

If this question were about 1/10 short course, buggy, truck (anything else) I would never say Traxxas. But their MT's are pretty fantastic IMO

Bigdawgsavage 03-01-2014 07:50 AM

Id have to say grab a savage x, the xl is a god platform but the motor is junk.. and the 4.6 actually puts out quite a bit of power for a stock rtr motor.. and if u want u can always get the xl and get a picco or lrp engine.. but def a savage..

GvilleFloridaR1 03-01-2014 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by racer83l (Post 13054195)
Im definitely bias towards Traxxas monster trucks, but If I were you I would go T-Maxx 3.3 or Revo 3.3. Main reason, they both have near perfect parts support at your local hobby store.

I have owned both and prefer the Revo because of the rear exhaust.. keeps the truck nice and clean. Im in the process of turning it into a Platinum which is a little better on the track.

If this question were about 1/10 short course, buggy, truck (anything else) I would never say Traxxas. But their MT's are pretty fantastic IMO

I've owned everything traxxas makes in nitro and I liked both the Revo and the tmaxx.. I'm just looking for something bigger... I was a beast of a truck... The Revo would be the way I'd go if I went traxxas... but I want something with a big block