Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Losi XXL-2!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by madoctane
I hope we can use different Oil Other then the Dynamite Since it appears to be back ordered and I am on my last tank of GAS now.. Calling Losi to see what the options are
The racing version of redline oil or castor 927 are my two best bets for over the counter oil that would work.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Torque
Have you only used the Dynamite oil?

It definitely seems like it's slipping or there's an issue with the shoes, etc.
I thought that too. I will be curious to see if mine does it.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Have you only used the Dynamite oil?

It definitely seems like it's slipping or there's an issue with the shoes, etc.
That's not Kamitiro Fan's truck. Not sure if the owner of that video is on here?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

@foxrider Your servos are humming. I think you need to adjust them further because they sound like they are constantly fighting each other. Set the trim to 0 and unscrew the servo savers before you turn the truck on. Then turn it on and adjust it so that the wheels are straight and the servos don't hum. I'm sure you already know this, but it's just a reminder in case that hum is actually the servos fighting against each other.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by foxrider68
The racing version of redline oil or castor 927 are my two best bets for over the counter oil that would work.
If I was going to try another oil I'd go with Motul 2t. It was designed to work in the old two stroke moto-GP engines. I know a lot of guys using it in high rpm (20k+) outboard race boats.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Tech Adept

My clutch grabs no problem. Having temp problems through. My needles are way richer now than stock settings.

I am gonna call horizon tomorrow to document my temps cause I had to go to 30 out low 24 out high needle to get temps under 195.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

Ok I posted a few more vids on youtube. They're kinda a disaster but WHAT THE HELL I posted them and I'm sure I'll take some slack in the comments. Been 8 years since I had a nitro so I wish I researched break in just a touch more. I really think this 5cc motor is impressive for its size and can't wait till its fully broken in. I ended up with LSN at 30 and HSN at 24 for my first two tanks. I probably could have been smoother on my throttle but temps were a problem for me so I did what I needed to keep them down and wasn't thinking about being smooth. I had to lower my throttle trim on my controller as it was giving it gas but then the brakes came on when I let go of the gas and it just made me nervous with it at first. I adjusted the throttle rod and that fixed it so I wasn't on the brakes and the idle would settle. At the end of tank 2 the motor loosened up and starting idling too high again. I know they said not to but I lowered the idle screw. I mean 30 on the LSN and its going up again. So for tank three I'll reset to 26/17 and we'll just see what happens.

Run time is crazy especially without running it the way I want to. I am thinking it was 30 min or so. The receiver battery was at 3.5v per cell resting after two tanks. Thats as low as you'd want to go so I caution against going 3 tanks until we know if there is a LVC on the receiver.

Hopefully any mistakes or headache I have help others. Its getting through things like this that make this hobby great cause when you have it all figure out you feel good!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Thanks. Wheelies are fun, but get real old after awhile. I started with a 3906 Maxx/ Trackstar 2560 mtr (wheelie monster) and went to a 3908 platform just for that reason. You can see it at the end of his vid, imagine that 100 times. I like the Losi, low and just getting it.

@Foxrider, big thumbs up to see the son running his slash with you. nice. Losi had a notice that high idle was a problem and to do something with one of the needles, but I can't remember what. Maybe it was to do what you did. Question, should it smoke slightly when running at mid throttle? Sort of like nitro? The only smoke I saw on you'res was the throttle dump off idle. Which says the lsn is fine.

Last edited by spookie; 06-19-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Wow, VERY specific breakin.

http://youtu.be/YEH_zpOn5OI
+ YouTube Video
Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by foxrider68
Ok I posted a few more vids on youtube. They're kinda a disaster but WHAT THE HELL I posted them and I'm sure I'll take some slack in the comments. Been 8 years since I had a nitro so I wish I researched break in just a touch more. I really think this 5cc motor is impressive for its size and can't wait till its fully broken in. I ended up with LSN at 30 and HSN at 24 for my first two tanks. I probably could have been smoother on my throttle but temps were a problem for me so I did what I needed to keep them down and wasn't thinking about being smooth. I had to lower my throttle trim on my controller as it was giving it gas but then the brakes came on when I let go of the gas and it just made me nervous with it at first. I adjusted the throttle rod and that fixed it so I wasn't on the brakes and the idle would settle. At the end of tank 2 the motor loosened up and starting idling too high again. I know they said not to but I lowered the idle screw. I mean 30 on the LSN and its going up again. So for tank three I'll reset to 26/17 and we'll just see what happens.

Run time is crazy especially without running it the way I want to. I am thinking it was 30 min or so. The receiver battery was at 3.5v per cell resting after two tanks. Thats as low as you'd want to go so I caution against going 3 tanks until we know if there is a LVC on the receiver.

Hopefully any mistakes or headache I have help others. Its getting through things like this that make this hobby great cause when you have it all figure out you feel good!
Thanks for sharing.
Vids are here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvP...3kBhvag/videos

So far, I think that I would prefer the Losi.
I had an EK4 back in the day, and as spookie commented, wheelies are only fun for so long.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Adept

This seems like really aggressive "break-in".

+ YouTube Video

@foxrider68, thanks for your vids. Very informative.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 AM
TLRacing

Hey Guys,

Here is a new video we created on setting the needles on the Losi XXL-2. We have noticed that in some climates and conditions that the engines have a high idle. Please watch the video to address the high idle to ensure a good engine break-in.
http://youtu.be/2XJv0YXWdEI
Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 AM
TLRacing

Last edited by Todd Hodge; 06-20-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: double post
Old 06-20-2014, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ran my first two tanks through this morning without issue! I did open the low screw up 6 hrs before I first fired it and the idle seems to be spot on. So far, I couldn't be happier. As some of you may know, I have the other gas powered 1/8 scale truck too and so far this one is light years ahead as far as being user friendly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.